Model Cars Magazine Forum

remember the AMT "Iron Horse" Mustang?

62rebel

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

But seriously, wish Round2 could find the tooling and give us at least one of these versions.

I think the only way that happens is if Round2 decides to create an all-new '65 and/or '66 Mustang kit first. I'm 99% sure Mark B. or someone else mentioned multiple parts from the Iron Horse originally came from and are now found in the AMT '66 Mustang kit, which probably makes it too much of a hassle to bring back a one-off, oddball show car which (IMHO) lacks the cachet necessary to justify such an investment of resources.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, Casey said:

The one-off piece of 'glass':

2v2HB6fdjx6bzhT.jpg

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the only way that happens is if Round2 decides to create an all-new '65 and/or '66 Mustang kit first. I'm 99% sure Mark B. or someone else mentioned multiple parts from the Iron Horse originally came from and are now found in the AMT '66 Mustang kit, which probably makes it too much of a hassle to bring back a one-off, oddball show car which (IMHO) lacks the cachet necessary to justify such an investment of resources.

I think your assumptions are correct.  It’s a niche kit and although it was release in four versions (Mach1, Autolite Special, Superstang  and Iron Horse) it would not appeal to a mass market.  I’m sure collectors/builders looking for their holy grail would love to see it in it’s original form reissued but it’s far less expensive for Round2 to reissue the same 68 Shelby kit over and over and I assume for some reason they can still re-box and sell that kit every five years or so despite there being i would guess tens of thousands out there already.

Edited by vamach1

14 hours ago, vamach1 said:

It’s a niche kit and although it was release in four versions (Mach1, Autolite Special, Superstang  and Iron Horse) it would not appeal to a mass market. 

I'd have thought the same thing about the backbirth '68 Corvette that Round 2 is about to reissue. I'd have been wrong. :unsure:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing quite a while ago that Round 2 had looked at reissuing this kit, and I do believe it would sell reasonably well for them.   The fact that it has not reappeared to me suggests that there must be some major issue in the way.   But do treat all of this post as unverified speculation, nothing more...TIM 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2017 at 3:34 PM, Snake45 said:

Pretty sure they were the custom wheel in the original annual AMT '67 Camaro, too. 

They were included with the 1/43 AMT Mini Trophy (custom '68) Camaro kit, too:

amt-camaro-kit-43-trophy-series-kit_1_ea3bde5d201603c4657fe43b31942bf8.jpg.451d95e8b5556bfc8da5b3d83d0ffbf1.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

But seriously, wish Round2 could find the tooling and give us at least one of these versions. Image the MachOne with pad printed gold line tires, the Apache wheels and a tinted clear tree to go with stock clear one? Then offer those gold lines in a Parts pack! daydreaming again 🙄

Maybe not such a daydream anymore, with the recent '66 Mustang Fastback announcement. Gold line tires were just released, too. 🤔

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2