Model Cars Magazine Forum

remember the AMT "Iron Horse" Mustang?

62rebel

I'm lucky I have found a Mach 1 in pretty much mint shape in it's box and a glue bomb Iron Horse that is not that much of a glue bomb. 

Keep your eyes open at the kits shows or comic cons! You just never know what will turn up. 

Edited by Daddyfink

• 8 months later...
On 12/25/2017 at 3:03 PM, pack rat said:

The '71 and '72 Monte Carlo annuals had them. (Probably the '70 as well) 

A set of both Appliance Apache and Kelsey-Hayes Stripper wheels are included in the AMT '70 Monte Carlo:

AMT70MONTECARLO.jpg

Edited by Casey

Looking at the instructions, it would seem that much of the Iron Horse, originated in the still existing, and recently released '66 Mustang Hardtop/Notchback kit. It looks like the Chassis, engine, seats, spare tire and many trim parts are the same. I'd say the main differences are in the two most expensive parts of the tooling. Body & Interior Tub. I'd very much like to see the kit return. If the Body tools is still extant, then maybe we'll see something good someday, in regards to this kit.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/1-sort/amt-iron-horse-must/?view=roll#1

44 minutes ago, alexis said:

Looking at the instructions, it would seem that much of the Iron Horse, originated in the still existing, and recently released '66 Mustang Hardtop/Notchback kit. It looks like the Chassis, engine, seats, spare tire and many trim parts are the same. I'd say the main differences are in the two most expensive parts of the tooling. Body & Interior Tub. I'd very much like to see the kit return. If the Body tools is still extant, then maybe we'll see something good someday, in regards to this kit.

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/1-sort/amt-iron-horse-must/?view=roll#1

Actually it's the other way around. According to Mark B: The chassis/engine and half of the plated tree from the Iron Horse were later united with the '66 Mustang coupe promotional model tool (issued once in kit form, in 1969) to create the oft-reissued '66 Mustang coupe kit that we know today. Remember, the '66 annual was not a coupe but a convertible with separate hardtop roof.

The chassis in these kits is from the original '65/'66 annual kits, though those all had single exhaust.  The duals were added for the Mach I concept.  All of this stuff has been shifted around between the annual kits and these custom fastbacks over the years.  I'm sure that if enough of the fastback still exists, Round 2 will get it back out at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, certainly sheds light on the designer's intent on some of the features for this concept. The 2018 NNL Milwaukee featured showcars and a beautiful build of this kit won people's choice for best theme. Hopefully enough of the tooling for this kit exists for a possible reissue at some point as this is one of my favourite concept cars kitted from the 60's along with the Chevy Astro 1 (that has unfortunately been modified for the Scorpion drag car)

I have a MiB original and a couple of nice rebuilders but more is better...

• 4 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 1:40 PM, pack rat said:

Just to confirm; yes, this is the roadster version of the Iron Horse built according to the instructions.   

Ah, now I see the roof modification is called out in the instructions from the T-241 Street N' Strip issue:

AMTT241SnSMustang3.jpg.77433ce50e18759c5f8a64b30a97dbef.jpg

On 12/22/2017 at 12:16 PM, Phirewriter said:

Roadster version possibly looks like this? Had the image in a model reference folder and may have got it from an old post here. Looks pretty cool, simply the kit glass with the roof and the A pillars removed.

AMT_67_Mustang_Iron_Horse_(2).thumb.JPG.ae95b67f728a1ad7d8c08dce64128f1d.JPG

The above model lacks the side window-within-a-window...s(?) as shown on the box art and on Rex's build, below:

On 12/13/2017 at 4:49 PM, vamach1 said:

It was based on this kit.  I did substitute the rear panel with a copy from the 69 Mach1 custom taillights.  If I recall the Iron Horse did not have the GT40 style side windows or mirrors.  This was was a rescued glue bomb.

IMG_0720.JPG

Were the windows-within-a-window 'removed'/smoothed off at some point?

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Ah, now I see the roof modification is called out in the instructions from the T-241 Street N' Strip issue:

AMTT241SnSMustang3.jpg.77433ce50e18759c5f8a64b30a97dbef.jpg

The above model lacks the side window-within-a-window...s(?) as shown on the box art and on Rex's build, below:

Were the windows-within-a-window 'removed'/smoothed off at some point?

I think so.  None of the later issues have the GT40 type smaller window.

• 2 years later...
On 12/25/2017 at 11:58 AM, Casey said:

Hmmm....an Original Art Series reissue with the above box art and I'd be happy. As cool as the model is, I doubt I'd ever build one, and I have more Appliance Apache wheels than I would ever use.

Still swimming in Apache wheels Casey? 😉

But seriously, wish Round2 could find the tooling and give us at least one of these versions. Image the MachOne with pad printed gold line tires, the Apache wheels and a tinted clear tree to go with stock clear one? Then offer those gold lines in a Parts pack! daydreaming again 🙄

• Like 2