Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Karmann Ghia Carrera...sleeper!

jbwelda

Some of us may have followed along on the build thread:

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=26850

its finally wrapped up, for now that is...just in time for NNL 2012 (not that its likely to be noticed there...amongst the 1000 or so exquisite builds!). needs to have the deck lid clearanced to fit and could really use a new front end narrowed 6" scale inches or so, but its looking pretty good.

for those not along on the build, its mostly a box stock tamiya karmann ghia, with motor, trans and rear running gear from the fujimi 356 enthusiasts kit, quad cam porsche carrera motor, heavy duty anti sway bar, kool azz wheels on all four wheels, disk brakes up front and finned drums in the rear, front suspension moved up about a scale 6" drop, pretty hokey but it worked and doesnt look too out of place underneath. 356 seats, dashboard and accessories, steering wheel etc but basically pretty non-flashy outwardly, just lowered.

things could have gone better but you just cant blame the fit when its a tamiya like this...everything fit beautifully right out of the box...the bumpers have the right angle and they arent even glued in...in fact the chassis should come off the body still because i never glued it and its in solid. my mods made some fits problematic but even that wasnt that dramatic. and turned out pretty kool too!

frontleftk.jpg

frontrightp.jpg

nicerightrear.jpg

rearleftwithdecklid.jpg

any questions, comments or suggestions truely appreciated, thanks for looking!

Edited by jbwelda

Love it, love it, love it!!

Honestly, IMO the 6" narrowed beam would be too much; the car looks well proportioned and 'sorted,' as my mates in the UK would say. I really like the wheels without caps, as that's a style that you almost never see in scale.

>IMO the 6" narrowed beam would be too much;

well i kind of agree with you on the current stance (minus a problem or two that arent visible in the photos), i like the wide look. but the problem is more that i had to grind like mad away from the inside of the wheels as their offset sets them way out there especially when you figure in the brakes, and i also had to grind away the portion of the front suspension arms where they connect to the wheel backs.

thats why you arent seeing photos of the underside! :lol:

its not really that bad but my initially visioned level of detail didnt carry through because of the narrowing i had to do to get it to the point you see it.

so that 6" i mentioned counted that it could use a good 3" of it just to let me avoid excessive grinding, then the other 3" would go to actually narrowing the track.

the tires are hitting the top of the fender and actually have slight camber with tops in and bottoms out, like the rears. so some slight narrowing would help that out a lot and better center the tires in the wells side to side. (btw, 1/8" in 1/24th scale = 3" 1:1 scale, so the 3" i mention above means 1/8" when it comes time for cuttin...).

thanks again for looking and im glad youre enjoying this build!

edit: oh i forgot to mention, i bought some micro magnets on ebay and when they arrive i am going to try using them to hold the deck lid on. i really wish that one air box werent a bit crooked, that happened when the carb snapped off at some point and i had to reglue it. i wasnt going to glue the air boxes to the carbs until i was able to check the fit of the hood, but oh no, i got impatient! i could have easily taken a sixteenth inch off the bottom of them to let them fit under the hood. oh well, lesson for next time! as it is, the hood sits slightly crooked as it rests on the air boxes otherwise i would just lay it on there with magnets to hold it and call it good...might still work out.

Edited by jbwelda

K/G's are favorites of mine, but then I like ALL air-cooled cars. Great workmanship all around, and the paint looks flawless from where I sit.

This reminds me of a 1:1 car a friend of mine had back in the early 80's. He worked at a local Porsche+Audi dealer as a mechanic and one day a rolled 911 Turbo came in on a rollback. A lightbulb went on over his head, and he got the info to contact the insurance co. that now owned what was left of the car. He bought it for basically chump change and gutted the hulk for anything and everything that was still usable... like the entire drivetrain, for instance! This is when things got crazy and he took his daily driver, a tired '70 VW Squareback, off the road for what is now called a "Radical Makeover"! He shortened the car's wheelbase a couple of inches to allow room for the longer Porsche drivetrain to fit, tubbed the wheelwells all around for the much wider rolling stock, and adapted the entire Porsche suspension to the l'il wagonette. He then repainted it in the factory yellow. He even had a set of wheels made for it that would take the stock VW hubcaps. This car was the mother of all sleepers!