Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys.

Hi Shawn,

May I ask what type of career are you involved in? Is it related to your incredible modeling skills and eye for detail?

I spend my workdays as a metal polisher. It's not the most awesome job in the world but I'm grateful to be employed in this time of economic instability.

As for my eye for detail, It's something that I have had for as long as I can remember. Must have been all those years playing with Lego as a little boy. ^_^

Gotta admit, I'm kinda glad you didn't find anything suitable in your parts box :D

Those radiator hoses look real good, what are they made from?

Mate, if I find anything else for the Falcon in my spares box that doesn't need major surgery I'll probably die from shock. So far the total of spares box virgins is 1x rad fan, 1x starter motor, 1x dizzy, 1x gearshift knob and 4x tyres :lol: The hoses are left over from a Tamiya 1:12 F1 car that I trashed years ago.

Rob, I've used many different types of glue over the course of the build so far but I use Tamiya Thin cement or Plastruct solvent cement when I can get them. I also use Zap-a-gap CA glue when I'm in a hurry to get things together. As for residue, I clean up the glue as I go. There are areas of residue but thankfully they don't show up in the pictures and will be cleaned up before the primer goes on.

Thanks again guys.

ShawnS

You should consider leaving the whole car unpainted. It would be a shame to paint this model and hide all the work you've done. It's the finest piece of styrene scratch-building I've ever seen.

Or make molds of the parts and then paint/build the copies. :)

Or make molds of the parts and then paint/build the copies. :)

Please! Hang the postage cost from Austrailia, I WILL buy one of these!

Suggestion for us foreign purchasers (and your own countrymen,) if you do this: enclose a colour and interior chart so we make correct replicas and do such wonderful master-building justice.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks for the comments guys.

Thanks for telling us what you use, but the real tip would be watching you. Your assembly is so clean & precise it's a skill unto itself. What type of applicator do you use for your adhesives? All those clean seams & joints look incredible.

Hi John, The solvent glues that I use usually come with a brush. The Tamiya extra thin glue has a fine tip brush attatched to the inside of the cap. For the CA glue, I use pretty much anything that is close at hand like a bit of wire, a sliver of scrap styrene, a toothpick, stretched sprue, etc etc. Nothing too fancy or expensive.

Cheers

Shawns

Just amazing... Pure amazing. If you don't mind, where did you get the mesh for the rad and the rad cap ?

Thanks Ray, Del and Homer. The mesh is made by KA Models and is available from http://stradasports.com

The cap is from a Model Car Garage PE engine detail set, available from them or lots of other websites.

Cheers

ShawnS

Edited by ShawnS

You should be nominated for the Gerald Wingrove award (if such exists). I have a suggestion for your second scratchbuilding project: the Alfa Canguro. Although this is a beautifully sculpted car, you would have the advantage of a similar body, the Toyota 2000GT. Dimensions:

WB Track Length Width Height

Alfa 86.6 51.2 153.5 63 41.7 inches

2000GT 87.8 51.2 164.4 63 45.7

I have been planning to do this for some time, but your skills far outshine mine, and I would love to see what you could build. (And Canguro is Italian for kangaroo.)

If this is of interest, I will attempt to post some images.

Obscure Italian sports cars really aren't my thing I'm affraid Gerald. This thing has taken me over 15 months so far so I will be keen to return to just scratching individual parts for my kits after this epic build. Feel free to give it a go yourself though, If you get stuck, we're all here to help.

Cheers

ShawnS

Shawn, if you're not aware, this site featured your awesome work some days ago:

http://www.build-thr...xe-ford-falcon/

Cool. Thanks for that. I've posted this build on two other forums and I have seen it on three more forums where others had posted parts of it but that is the first non-model site that I have seen it on. Has anybody seen it or posted it anywhere else? I don't mind if it gets around just as long as my name is used as the builder.

Ok time for some update pics. I have been working on the engine bay this week. Here's the real thing.

post-9268-0-36413100-1343450694_thumb.jp

I intend to do it in three sections, the top flat section which will be attached to the body and the sides which wiil be mated with the chassis.

I started out with the back and sides. I shaped some strip styrene for the back and added some strips for the sides.

p1040339n.jpg

I then cut out a large section of evergreen sheet, cut out the middle and bent the sides up.

p1040338s.jpg

Glued it in and trimmed the back to match the piece that I put in earlier.

p1040342z.jpg

I started detailing it with a section that goes on the front. It's made from several bits of strip shaped and glued together.

p1040350j.jpg

I glued that onto the front of the top of the engine bay an added some strips up the sides.

p1040354s.jpg

I added some lumps and bumps onto the sides.

p1040363b.jpg

I made a little bracket for the back corner, cut out the holes in the front corners and the slots for the latch then hit it with some primer and it was done.

p1040385t.jpg

The bonnet fits without any interference but only just.

p1040389tv.jpg

That's it for now. I'll now shift my attention to doing the sides. There are lots of tricky curves and angles to work on so it may be a while before I get them right.

Til then, Thanks for your comments and for your continued interest.

Cheers

ShawnS

I can not add much to what others have said in this thread, other than this is probably the most inspirational thread I have seen in a thread on a forum anywhere. I do not know how you manage to cut such clean curves in sheet styrene, but this has proven to me that there is no excuse not to just get out there and make parts you need. You will never see me whine about not being able to find a flat hood or something like that again. Great work. Thank you for sharing so much detail.

I scratch built an engine compartment for a 1/32 car once. It was relatively simple yet it took me hours and hours to finish. The compartment on this car is not simple - I am really looking forward to seeing the work you will be putting into it. Excellent work and thanks for taking the time to continue posting your progress!