Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

This is absolutely amazing scratchbuilding. Every time I see a new update I can expect amazing scratchbuilding, but somehow you just manage to Blow Me Away in every, single update!

Thanks for sharing I wish I had scratchbuilding skills like that.

Im new here right..

Ive seen some cool things surffing this site. Ive seen some people chop up cars and make some crazy cool looking cars. All I can say is WoW just WoW... I get nervise trying to lay primer down and here you are making a car body out of plastic pieces. ###### IDK what to say..Thats crazy keep up the GOOD work..good isnt even a good word to use the Spectacular Amazing work

When you thought you seen it all

wow

I have been building models and scratch building things for the better part of 30 years but I have never seen anything as breathtakingly good as this Falcon build!! Please, PLEASE, PLEASE! Do this as a kit, I will take at least 5 of them!!

Doc.

Thanks guys. I've been a busy boy at the work bench lately so I have some more to show you. I have finished the brakes.

I started by making the front discs using the tried and true sandwich method and made the centres too.

p1040166d.jpg

p1040168i.jpg

The calipers started as a basic shape then I layered the details on to them.

p1040216i.jpg

p1040242y.jpg

Then I added dust covers for the back of the discs.

p1040246i.jpg

All of the parts together.

p1040254o.jpg

p1040269f.jpg

p1040266w.jpg

The rear drums are from an AMT Mustang with rear covers from another kit.

p1040262wo.jpg

p1040261ct.jpg

That's it for now. I'm still really enjoying every aspect of this build and I'm pleased that you guys seem to be liking it too.

Cheers

ShawnS

Thanks for the comments guys.

Love the progress! I don't know how you keep at it. Have you had any out of box builds to have a break? Any, great work. Cheers

Ben

A break???? Mate I'm just starting to get into my groove. :D

Cheers

ShawnS

Hi everyone, thanks again for the kind words. The newest part in this big 'ol jigsaw puzzle is the radiator. A search through the spares boxes found nothing that came close to the part that I needed so I had to hit the Evergreen again. I started by making the main body from a rectangular piece of styrene and I then put some strips around the edges.

p1040286a.jpg

I cut out a section of KA Models PE radiator mesh for it and lined the borders with more strip styrene.

p1040289a.jpg

I made the two sides and glued them on.

p1040298v.jpg

I made the border for the other side larger so the shroud will have something to sit on.

p1040310l.jpg

The shroud was made from styrene with a ring from a Tamiya Sierra.

p1040314fo.jpg

All done. I added a PE radiator cap and some brackets and locating points for the hoses.

p1040326i.jpg

p1040325z.jpg

Test fitted onto the chassis with some hosses installed for effect.

p1040327t.jpg

p1040335e.jpg

p1040332y.jpg

That's it for now. The next step is the engine bay. It's a tricky area to do so the next update may be a while.

Thanks for looking. If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers

ShawnS