Model Cars Magazine Forum

How focused are your scale modeling interests?

How focused are your scale modeling interests?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. How focused are your builds?

• I build exclusively from one automotive genre that interests me. (Drag racers, semis, traditional rods)
    • I build from one automotive genre most of the time but throw something different in there from time to time.
    • I build a variety of different automotive genres.
    • I don't even specialize in just building cars.

I've seen several people on this forum that seem to specialize in a particular type of car.

For some it's muscle cars only or drag racers. Others are kustoms or traditional hot rods.

Out of curiousity how do you fit into the poll?

I have made this poll public so everyone will know how you voted and I have allowed for multiple choices in case you fall into # 1,2,3 but also #4.

Cool topic. I for one would try anything, it kind of breaks the monotony that can sometimes present itself when doing the same old thing. I also think it helps you try a variety of new building methods and techniques which in the long run can make you a better and more versatile modeler. I will still stick with anything automotive, never really cared for any other subject. I have at times thought about doing something with figures, I think it teaches a lot of drybrushing and shading techniques that you can ultimately incorporate into your scale automotive modeling projects. ;) I chose number 3.

Edited by cruz

I've never built just cars. I've built mostly cars up until about 10 years ago, when I got bored with cars and branched out. First into highly detailed wooden ship kits (it was a blast working with wood and a real nice change of pace from all that white plastic!) and then other things.

In the past 3-4 years, besides several Pocher car kits, I have built:

several highly detailed wooden ships (including the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria)

2 stagecoaches

a covered wagon

an 1880's era "doctor's buggy"

a San Francisco cable car

a paddlewheel riverboat

a bunch of 1/32 scale WWI fighter planes

a few antique locomotives including the first successful steam locomotive

a 1/9 scale WWII large-scale motorcycle

a 1/9 scale custom "bobber" bike,

and more.

I've actually built more "other models" lately than car models.

Definitely a 3. Mostly '60s street machines, but I have pickups I'm working on as well as a couple radical customs. I've also been customizing 1/24 Maisto Harleys the last couple weeks. I have a couple factory stocks in planning, which oddly enough have been the hardest to plan & find parts for! The only thing I'm narrow-minded about is scale. ONLY 1/25 for me. The Harleys work because the motors appear a little small anyway.

Lately I've been all over the place as to builds. Mainly diorama's in 1/87th. Been adding a few plane kits to the stash, along with a few cars, and figure kits.

When I was into cars full time I did mainly traditional rods, and customs.

Edited by Mercman

#4 for me! I'll build anything! My favorites are construction equipment, semi trucks, light commercial and drag related but I have everything from tanks, ships, planes, an off shore oil rig, a bucket wheels excavator, trains etc.. If I think it's cool and someone makes a model of it, I gotta have it!

I build mostly Old School stuff, but Stockers are today's technology, because otherwise they could be in the ladder if they were 1:1 size. So they would be too slow then. But other than those, I build only Old School, and for example big wheels are something, I'm not using. I've sold every set of them away when some model kit has them. :lol:

I checked #4. I've been building a lot of sci-fi models lately; Batplane, Orion Space Clipper, and am getting set to start on something else sci-fi-ish. This interleaved with various cars. Over the years, I've build planes, trains, automobiles, and ships. I like cars a lot because I can let my creativity run wild. Besides, who'd ever think a purple plane was something serious. I did paint the batplane a deep metalic blue. :) Shiny paint drives aircraft modelers crazy. I still have a few planes in my stash and I intend to build them. :D