Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished! 1963 Chrysler Turbine Car

MrObsessive

Well folks she's all done! A tough kit it was.................but 20 years perspective has yielded a decent looking build...............Enjoy!

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

009-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

One SNAFU was the very faint script on the hood..........this was buried by the color and clear coats, so no amount of detail painting would bring this out.......Oh well!

Other bugaboos that came about is the trunk panel that is still binding somewhat against the tulip panel, (it was slightly warped) and the fiddly fenders that were more trouble than they appear. I'll build another one of these when tthe 50th birthday of the car comes up in '13.................by then I'll be armed with more reference pics of the underside and some other changes I'll make to the trunk hinges...........:D

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and keeping up with this loooooong thread! :lol:

• Like 1

Stunning achievment for such a finnicky kit! Nice work 8)

I saw one under it's own power last year at Amelia Island. I was a little disappointed when it drove past; sounded like a vacuum cleaner. I expected a bit more "F-16" than a quiet vacuum cleaner :wink:

AWESOME :shock: Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely AWESOME :shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post a step by step tutorial of your build. My old man always told me that you don't need to talk about your work, just let your work talk about you...

Your work is OUTSTANDING

Bill, your build is beautiful as usual. I saw, what I think is the best part of this car first hand at NNL East....The motor. The detail work you did to that was truly amazing. Too bad it gets covered up. The level of workmanship is tremendous on the entire car, but the engine could stand on it's own. Great job...It was also fun to follow along step by step.

But, that class and brand of painting you used for that finished? (bodywork)

The color coats on the body are 1966 Chrysler Turbine Bronze (Dupont Acrylic Enamel) which was mixed at a local paint jobber called B.A.P.S. It was put it an aerosol, and I then transferred it to an airbrush jar and sprayed it with my Badger Crescendo.

The clearcoat is Tamiya water based acrylic X-22, which also had to be airbrushed after thinning it down a bit with their thinner. After this was sufficiently dry.........I rubbed out the clearcoat with Detail Master polishing cloths (3600-12,000 grit) and waxed with Meguair's Car Cleaner Wax.

Thanks for asking!

A beautiful build of one of modelling history's great classic kits.

I very much appreciate your continuing build notes. When I build mine I know I won't put the amount of work into it that you've done but your frequent posting on this kit have taught me a lot about this model.

Thanks.

Rob W

That is simply incredible what you did with that kit. That you so much for all the progress updates and how-tos. I am not sure where you live at, but back when I went to Cleveland every summer, the local science museum had a couple turbine powered cars there. I believe they had one of these there, but I am not sure if it is still there. Just an FYI. Great engine detail. Thanks for the pics. :D

Bill, I've tried building this kit many times over the years, but I've never been satisfied with the finished model. With the help of your tutorial, I believe I can do much better next time.

Your build is just awesome. I don't think I can say anything more than what's already been said.