Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid Things You've Done While Modeling

I have cut myself with my exacto on occasion but never badly enough to visit the ER.i did accidentily paint the roof of my Moebius 300 flat instead of gloss black which resulted in orange peel in the gloss coat.I polished it out and now its all right! 2012_0212Spock0055.jpg

How's the feeling in that thumb now Brian? It's just that I did something similar to a finger at work (slicing silicone caulking off of a Dozer with a box cutter), didn't get it stitched and ever since the very end has been numb...

Nerve damage I guess, but would getting it professionally seen to have prevented it?

I don't have any numbness but it does occasionally still kind of hurt, it's an odd dull throbbing. I don't think going to the dr would have done anything though, once the damage is done stitches won't fix it.

I did something like that when I was a teenager w/ an exacto knife..was working on a Revell '59 Skyliner. Had to go to the hospital and get stitches...still have a scar on my thumb 25 years later...

I still have a scar too, it faint and kind of blends in with my finger prints but it's still somewhat visible.

Let's see....

was carving some excess putty off a salvage kit using an actual scalpel (was a kid and didn't own an Xacto, but had some family that was in various medical professions). the putty gave suddenly and I very nearly took the tip of my finger off with the scalpel. That took a while to heal, although not as long as when I carved into the other hand with my pocket knife cutting a hose on my real van.

recently I cast some clear parts using acrylic. I set the can on the floor tightly closed with a plastic cover over the top (plastic cover also keeps the hardener with the can). Somehow as time went by the can got knocked over. It leaked a little of the resin onto the carpeting and has since dried. So much for the security deposit. :)

I'll post more if I remember them.

Several years ago I was building a Tamiya Porsche 959.It was time to paint it.My basement is very cool all year so I have a problem when it comes to getting parts warm enough to spray without getting gloss die back.So I came up with the idea of warming the body with a halogen work lamp.BAD IDEA! I left it too near the lamp for too long and ended up with a Porsche that looked like it was styled by Timothy Leary after a bad LSD trip.

Got Married?

Wait, that was the smartest....

Convinced her that getting married in LaJolla would be the perfect place....

Oh yeah, there's a show in San Fran, NNL West, we can just stop by there first :-)

:-)

that was way back, what, 1995 or so?

man oh man....

I was mixing some paint the other day in a medicine cup and since most of my paints are enamel I forgot this was acrylic. I decided to thin with laquer becaus I thought it was enamel. Long story short I ended up with a few green stains on our shop floor. Last year at the beginning of school I was trying to cut a buckeye open with a scalpel. I forced I through and ended up with a cut right on the vein. It bled for awhile but since no one was in the office I got a paper towel and scotch tape to wrap my finger with.

One time I sliced open the tip of my thumb on my Dad's lathe. That was OK, though it bled a lot and really hurt. It was very sensitive for awhile, and I didnt change the gauze bandage soon enough. When I finally decided to, my skin had grown around the gauze. Now THAT hurt like you know what cleaning it up!

I was redoing a previous build and needed to remove the carbs from the intake I had used before. No matter how hard I tried I could not break the carb off so I decided to cut it off with my knife. Holding the manifold in my left hand I pressed harder and harder until, POP! The carb went flying across the room but I didn't care because I had almost cut my thumb in two. The knife went in about the middle of the tip of my thumb and sliced horizontally through to just behind the end of the nail. I couldn't have cut it cleaner with a scalpel. And blood, oh my God the blood, it bled for hours. I probably should have gotten stitches but didn't, I thought it was never going to heal.

I also had a very similar experience, cutting up a chassis with an exacto. I even documented the healing proccess in photos so I never forget to be careful with new blades :lol: Prompted me to get a razor saw for those kind of jobs :rolleyes:

A couple builds ago I was holding 2 piece together that had to be glued. I decided to take off my CA glue lid with my teeth, and needless to say, a little CA glue squirted in my mouth and on my teeth. Only took a week to get it completely out of my mouth!!!