Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Chrysler 300 Photos

The AMT '58 T-Bird? I guess I'm not the only old guy around here after all.

Hi High Octane. That '58 T-Bird is the first kit I remember building ! I was pretty little and my Dad didn't want to buy it , but he did . I don't remember much about the kit , but I made a mess of the kitchen table ( I brush painted it and the model ) ! After that my new hobby was moved to the garage .

I got mine yesterday.I am very pleased with it. It looks to be a great kit.Mine had one flaw in it. The tampo printing on the tires was way off center.So much that you can see it real bad when you slip a wheel in the tires.How can you get replacements?bigtim

Seems the chassis fits well under the old All American Models' '56 Chrysler 300B and the F&F Resin '56 DeSoto Adventurer pace car convertible. Finally, a worthy donor kit! :D

I also have it on good authority that the chassis/floor fit very nicely into the old JoHan '55/6 kit and promo bodies.

I got mine yesterday.I am very pleased with it. It looks to be a great kit.Mine had one flaw in it. The tampo printing on the tires was way off center.So much that you can see it real bad when you slip a wheel in the tires.How can you get replacements?bigtim

Try emailing their customer service department. Describe the problem and ask if they will provide a replacement set of tires.

Their email address is customerservice@moebiusmodels.com

Suggestion to Moebius: How about picking up a lot of the lost kits from Jo-Han? Personally, I'd love to have one of the 60 Desotos or any of the odd 50's cars no one seems to produce.

I'd venture to guess that they started with both of these since they're both licensed by Chrysler. Not complaining at all. :)

i'd love to see them follow up with a '57 Dodge Coronet D-500 and a '60 DeSoto Adventurer. maybe a '66-'69 Rambler American, as well.... and a Jeep Wagoneer... with the Tornado six. even better; i'd like to see their take on a '61-67 F100 in several variants; short wheelbase, long, styleside and stepside, 2- and 4wd.... we already have some excellent mid-sixties Chevy trucks. how about a Dodge D100 with a poly318? the Studebaker pickup..... how about a '62 Lark R2?

personally, i'd love to see them do a '60-'63 Falcon.... but, that's just me. If Moebius had done the '64 INSTEAD of Trumpeter..... well.

005.jpg

hmmmmm, about that roofline.....................

what was that about Tamiya?

A picture is worth 1,000 words. I found a shot of the real car taken at just about the same exact angle as Dave's kit body. The black outline on the kit body is an exact tracing around the real car's outline.

Here is a direct comparison. A perfect match? No. But awfully close.

chrysler-300c-1955.jpg

My take on it: I give Moebius huge credit for the way they operate. The subject matter they bring us, the fact that they put up their work for critique by us, the fact thet they actually listen to us and take our input seriously, etc. For all of that, I give Moebius all the credit in the world.

And yet, after all the time and effort they put into this kit, when you see that roofline being off like that, you can't help but wonder... what the!!!???

I have to admit I'm really on the fence on this one. I want to give Moebius a ton of credit for doing what they do and how they do it, but then... :huh: .

Oh well... I hope this kit sells like gangbusters for them. B)

But here's the thing- EVERY kit has something off about it. Yes, even Tamiya kits. If it isn't body proportions, it's the detail. Even the Polar Lights Batmobile has a few hiccups, and it was based off scans of the actual car. Not many, mind you, but they are there.

When you consider that this is only Moebius' second all-new automotive kit (third counting the Lonestar, IF you discount the fact the body on that was based off International's own CAD files, not a total clean-slate job like the Hudson and Chrysler, and not counting the two '52 version spinoffs of the '53 kit), I'm pretty impressed with the kit so far. Really- does this look like a product from a company which was a non-player in the automotive hobby kit market just a few years ago? If I put money on any manufacturer getting a classic American subject 100% right, I'd put it on Moebius.

At any rate, I guess I just don't get people constantly comparing quality and engineering between such-and-such American kit manufacturer(s) and Tamiya. You're talking about two entirely different companies (in two entirely different countries on two entirely different continents no less). Of course they aren't going to approach things the same way! B) I will say this kit, in terms of layout, engraving, and engineering, kind of reminds me of the Galaxie Limited Chevrolets quite a bit more than the contents of a Tamiya box, though.

I suppose it boils down to your own personal preferences, and how anything that may be off looks to your eye. For me, this one falls WELL within the acceptable criteria.