That is some amazing work for sure! I have been a big fan

ever since I found a thread with you doing roll up windows

on a 1/25th scale model!!

That was long before I joined this forum, and was the

reason I came to this forum to watch and learn all that was

here for me to be inspired by.

Build on, and prosper!

David S.

Hi Bill!  I just joined here and I want to say I really appreciate the info you gave me over on the Spotlight board regarding the chassis fit of this kit.  I think I almost have it now.  And your work, as always, is outstanding!

Looking very nice!

Is BIN thin enough to spray right out of the can?

Thanks,

Steve

Yeah............I maybe had to add just a little alcohol to thin it out. I'd avoid the spray cans though-----from what I hear they're worthless and the BIN is not as good as you airbrushing it.

Bill, if you should ever do another one of these tilting front seats there's a secret that the manufacturers came up with that I noticed working in an upholstery shop, the side piece actually has its pivot point farther forward, on the full size car it's usually around nine to twelve inches, this makes the outside of the seat both tilt forward, but also up and in. It makes the rear edge of the seat raise almost straight up before angling in, and in the full size car moves the top outside corner of the seat out of the rear passengers way, and if you haven't noticed yet it also tips the edge of the seat back in to clear the arm rests etc. that stick out from the front door panels enough to hit a seat that tips straight forward. That's why the curve in the side chrome piece, it forms a sort of dog leg for the front pivot point to work from, and still line up with the side chrome when it's down.  If you look closely at your picture of the 1:1 front seats, you can see the piece I'm describing, in this instance the restoration shop painted it red and it's just behind the chrome, and on the '59 goes to the lower seat frame where a shouldered bolt with a bushing provides the pivot, and it goes into the frame just about where the notch in the lower seat ends at the forward edge of the notch, usually most factory seat frames are a semi gloss or light gloss black, I guess the person's building this car didn't want them to show at all if possible.

Edited by horsepower

• 2 weeks later...

Just an itty-bitty update for now fellas............since the holidays are over, it's back to 10+ hour days at work which equals not as much time at the worktable for building. Nevertheless, I try to squeeze in at least an hour or so trying to get something done most days. With a possible major snowstorm to hit here by the weekend, I'll know I can at least get some more done as there'll be nowhere to go------'cept outside to shovel snow! :(

I have a few quick pics taken with my iPhone. I'm quite compulsive when it comes to paint as I want the roof, hood, tops of fenders, and the trunk to be as spotless as possible. 

So far, what you see here has been rubbed out with polishing cloths (3600-12,000 grit) then rubbed out with Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax and a chamois cloth. I did put on some BMF on the roof pillars...........gotta love those bubbletop rooflines!

I'll wait till I get the glass installed to really get a glass like shine on the roof. Those pillars are oh soooo thin!

56:474939476683

01:474939481445

03:474939483015

That's all for now! Gotta get to bed soon!

Why do I bother? 

Meh, I still have fun.

Red is cliche' with these cars...or most any mid-late '50s Chevy.

But in this case, it's a VERY nice cliche'. I'm very impressed with that paint.

I remember those 850s new and saw a couple of them. Nice looking cars, and I'll be interested to see what you do with it. I remember one that was this kind of smoky silver with an off-black interior. Very sharp.

Charlie Larkin

Great work as usual. But I cannot imagine someone building '59 Impala in single tone.

I thought about doing a two tone when the idea first crossed my mind to do a '59 Chevy, but to me the two door hardtop always looked better in a single tone (sportier?), while the four doors (especially the "flat-top hardtops") looked their best in a two tone. Way down the road, I have the bits and pieces to build a flat-top Sport Sedan, and yeah, it'll be two toned with fender skirts. ;)

Hi Bill !!!!

Like always your work is just amazing!!!  :blink:

Thanks for sharing and Happy New year!!!

LUIS!! How are ya?? You don't know how bad I want to get back to Puerto Rico, especially with this cold and soon to be too much snow! Happy New Year to you also!

Puerto Rico sure is having their troubles lately, I've read------so sad! Hope all is well with you and the family...drop me a line sometime! 

Way down the road, I have the bits and pieces to build a flat-top Sport Sedan, and yeah, it'll be two toned with fender skirts. ;)

That I will be looking forward and be sure, I will be watching like "Big Brother".

I tried to make the conversion myself when I was still a free man (before I fell a slave of the wify and kidis) using Monogram convertible and a Modelhaus resin roof. The rood, originally a Jo-Han (I think) did not exactly fit the Imapala body. The glass did not fit either. It requires skills and time beyond my capability.

LUIS!! How are ya?? You don't know how bad I want to get back to Puerto Rico, especially with this cold and soon to be too much snow! Happy New Year to you also!

Puerto Rico sure is having their troubles lately, I've read------so sad! Hope all is well with you and the family...drop me a line sometime! 

Hi Bill !!!

It would be great to have you back here again buddy!!!

I heard the news on the snow storm comming this weekend impacting Baltimore, Philadelphia and other larger cities,  so hope all is well for you there.  Family is good, I will email you some pics later. 

Things are tuff but we work it out a day at a time... I will keep in touch!!!

Take care my Friend!!!!