Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Mustang GT350H

jcbigpaw

Just finished this one this weekend after working on it into the wee hours of the night. It should have been done a month ago but it stalled when my paint job went south and I had to put it aside for a while. I started with the Revel Motor City Muscle 1:24 kit and painted and assembled it straight from the box except for adding plug wires. I was looking for a simple build as a break from some longer projects and this kit went together very easily. Paint on the body and interior as well as primers were all Rustoleum rattle cans with Testors product used for all my brush work. I was a little concerned about the decal stripes going down smooth but with a little Decal Set they laid down nice, even over the hood scoop. The finished paint job isn't as nice as I would like but I can live with it.gallery_8811_712_540444.jpggallery_8811_712_154175.jpggallery_8811_712_541347.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics and all feedback is welcome.

Many thanks for all the kind words. The paint on this took more time than the whole rest of the car. For some reason the last several cars I've done we're black. Not sure why. I used Rustoleum paints and primers for all three, same cans in fact. Same prep and cleaning materials too and the others turned out perfect. Maybe I got cocky and needed to be taught a lesson or something. At any rate, this Shelby kicked my butt. First the primer didn't go down smooth. Not a big deal because it gets sanded with fine grit anyway but it took longer. Next the gloss black dried with tiny fish eyes and a little dust. Tried polishing it out with Meguires as usual and it took the shine off the paint. Followed that with 2 coats of clear to seal it and bring back the shine only to discover real fine dust in the dried clear. Next I ignored it on the corner of my desk for a month because I was pissed at it. Finally I decided to try the Meguires on the clear as a last chance before stripping it and starting over. I was surprised that the end result is not bad but looks better in the photos. Hard to keep your sense of humor sometimes. Lol