Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any College Students Like Me Miss Model Building Like I Do :(

To start I have to say it's good to hear from yet another youngster building models. I went through the same thing when I was in college.

I did OK the first year. But that urge set in so I made a chassis out of flexible drinking straws. Then I got a brick of modeling clay and did a 1/8? scale flared out Bugeye Sprite.

In my last years I gave in totally and made a travleing kit that I used to convert a Porshe snap kit to a sprite with a tube chassis. I shared a room with a friend who was not really happy about the dust. When he went home I mailed him some more just for the fun of it.

You are not alone.

Scott

Stupid question from a foreigner:

Why can't you build models while living on a college campus?

-Too busy w/ classes, study, all the other things one does in college, etc...

-roommates that will destroy anything of yours

-restrictions on power tools and chemicals (paints, etc).

I didn't do any modeling when I was living in the dorms my freshman/sophomore years....once I moved into my own apartment for my junior/senior years I did a little modeling, but mostly was too busy to do much. I did a bit more in grad school, but also had way too many other distractions then....

Lack of space (especially if sharing a small dorm room with a roommate) the mess, the inability to spray paint, well, pretty much everywhere...It's just not an environment which is great for some of the messier aspect of model building.

When I was living in the dorms for the first few months of my first semester, I didn't build anything, but once I moved off campus at the beginning of December, I started again...and found rec.models.scale :D

When I was living in the dorms for the first few months of my first semester, I didn't build anything, but once I moved off campus at the beginning of December, I started again...and found rec.models.scale :D

I hung out in rec.models.scale and rec.toys.cars for many years... 1988 until 1997 or so...and always bought model car magazines and looked at pics of models.

Not in college, and not on campus, but yes I can relate to studies making modeling hard. Currently studying for my year 12 final exams. They start next month, so it shouldn't be too long before I can get back to the bench.

Hopefully you can get an opportunity somewhere to build a model soon. Or maybe get a new roommate who happens to be a fellow modeller :D

I feel your pain. This was one of the main reasons while attending university I didn't stay in residence even if it meant that I'd be renting a small place that was less then classy or in a better part of the city. I may not have gotten a lot done during thise years but at least I had a couple of finished models with me and a few tools and kits for those times that I might have a few spare minutes.

robw

Christian, this is an excellent question but I can tell you that complaints from other students about the paint fumes and all that jazz would really drive this young builder crazy.

My recommendation is to find an isolated spot in town where you can do a little painting. I bet if you ask the body shops in town if you can spray a couple of bodies on the premises, they might say yes. Paint the parts and then assemble them back in your room.

I did a lot of modelling while in college and at U. My fellow students took a keen interest in it and regularily checked the progress and even offered suggestions. I did the painting in the workshops on the campus. Sharing a room is unheard of over here, unless you share it with a person you are intimate with.

But I understand now. You cannot build models in a room you have to share with strangers. A few other things come to mind you cannot do in a shared room, which I would consider even more important than building models.

Then things come to mind which would be done in shared rooms, none of which remotely agreeable. Nah, it just wouldn't work here.

Not only that, but I think most campuses in the States are now on alert for strange, out-of-the-ordinary behaviour, which I think painting a model would constitute. There are places in Art Department where you can in fact spray paint and not look out of place. But on most campuses a student with a rattle can in hand is going to be suspect. There's no need to invite that kind of scrutiny. It's best to avoid such hassles. That's just my take on it.

1. Make friends with art students- they can get you in and out of the art department and might be able to hook you up with airbrushes and such.

2. See above for your industrial arts or engineering department.

3. If your campus center has a rec room, that can be available for building, too.

4. Make friends with snap-kits and curbsides. Easier, faster and fewer parts.

5. Keep all your supplies under lock and key. If your campus center, like mine did, has small storage lockers avaiable for rent, rent one and keep your stuff in it.

6. Post an ad on the campus billboard to see if there are any other modelers on campus. If you can get a few of you and an employee of the college to be your advisor, all of a sudden, model building becomes a sanctioned activity and you have access. You might also be able to use it as an outreach tool to area schoolsby the campus.

7. Above all else, aside from studying hard, have fun in college. I didn't have nearly as much as I should have and regret not doing do. Don't make the same mistake.

Charlie Larkin

Oh my gosh when I posted this I didnt expect this much response. thanks so much for all the advice. as of right now i know one kid who builds but he does those one inch tall figures so he doesnt need to stray paint but maybe i could get away with having stuff but also college already has sucked almost all money away so im really tight on money. also what stinks because before i left for college i just about finished a 66 gt-350 so next time i go home it will be finished!! hahah

Not a very good option, but you could quit school and build models. Of course, you wouldn't be able to find a job so money could become an issue. Unless you sold drugs, but then you probably won't live very long.

STAY IN SCHOOL. Get that paper. Go to work for a model company and get their accuracy corrected.

First two years of college (probably the best) I lost all interest in models, 1:1 cars and the female persuasion taking over. Going home for holidays I was able to work in some model time. Next two years, farther from home, we did build models ( for one thing, back in the day (late sixties) we didn't have computers)and I say we, as there were many of us living in the dorm that built models. Yeah, we were outlaws, painting in the stairwells and all.

-I had a similar problem when - started off in the navy thank goodness I was a seabee and was never stuck on a ship or boat as soon as I was able. - I bought models. Stocked up and started over with my paints and supplies, my roommates had to just deal with it! Paint and glue fumes ( tried to do most paintwork outside) I missed modeling like crazy while I was in basic training

That's because students over here are spoilt, plus, you have to remember that over in the US they have proper collage/uni campus dormitory's...

I wouldn't call having to share a room with strangers 'proper'.

Not only that, but I think most campuses in the States are now on alert for strange, out-of-the-ordinary behaviour,

Remarkable. Where I'm from, they stopped this after the Third Reich.

I wouldn't call having to share a room with strangers 'proper'.

Dorms at universities have been the norm in the US for probably over 100 years...you've saying the UK doesn't have multi-person dorm rooms at their universities?

Really? I thought the UK today was a surveillance society w/ surveillance cameras everywhere...at least that's how it seems to be in London. Big Brother is always watching...

Considering UK cities have the most CCTV cameras than any other on the planet, I'd have to say I think you need to wake up whilst your walking around and take notice of all the cameras watching you, you squeak in the wrong place and they'll know and if they feel like it they'll take you in for questioning...

As for the UK Universities having dorms, you've got to be kidding, the posh/rich (their the only ones who can afford to go to Uni over here) don't like sharing so normally end up renting a flat/apartment...

Edited by Johnag4004