Model Cars Magazine Forum

27 Ford Roadster

Steve H.

Be careful what you wish for... I was sitting at work this morning, thinking how much I rather be finishing all the little details on this build, and whaddya know? The company begins a massive layoff... me included!

OK Gang, Heres my latest off the bench...

Resin 27 Ford Roadster, Rat Rod style. The Chassis, wheels, and engine are Revells Dirt Modified w/ trailer kit. I BMF'd the entire body, shot it flat black and sanded a good deal of the paint off. The track nose is from the modified kit, with a scratchbuilt wire grill (it came out OK, but I'm not real thrilled with it). I narrowed the Duvall windshield to fit the smaller cowl and cut new glass for it (one of the harder parts of this build!). The roll bar and headlights are parts box stuff. I also sanded the gumball before applying it, to make sure it would have the effect I wanted (sure made it fragile, though!).

P1010010-vi.jpg

Kdog Graphics Maltese cross, 25 T rear nerf bar... I had other graphics planned, but the home made decal was a poor contrast w/ the black and silver.

P1010007-vi.jpg

Resin seat, painted Testors flat red and dirtied up with black pastel powder, scratchbuilt dash w/ craft wire bezels over photocopy guages, parts box steering wheel (The banjo had to go, way too big) and a resin skull shifter. The intakes are stainless swages (used to flare hard lines), Arrowhead distributor, MCG looms...

P1010015-vi.jpg

Kinda got that "Happy Face" look, doesn't it? Works for me, cuz I got the happy face by finishing it.

It ain't perfect, but it was a fun build, just letting loose and not worrying about realism!

P1010013-vi.jpg

Hope ya like... Comments always appreciated!

:rolleyes: Tough break with that layoff!! (Been there) I wish you good luck finding something better. In the meantime, I really love that build. I always go for style... a look, I guess you could say, and that's got it. Beautiful work and good luck again.

Guest Davkin

I'm not really a rat rod lover, but that one has no rust and has a great lakes vibe so I'll let it slide. Not to mention the fact it's so well built. :D

David

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not really a rat rod lover,

David

"rat rod" is a slap in the face to the traditional hot rod. nice build i love it. the duvall windshield sets it apart. as for the corprate layoffs i feel for yah. i was "layed off" in my third year of my automotive apprenticeship.

• 13 years later...

It's a nice memory of his building skills, I think about many of my modeling friends and family that are no longer here, wish I had pictures of some of their builds to post. Thanks for reviving the posting.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, echo said:

It's a nice memory of his building skills, I think about many of my modeling friends and family that are no longer here, wish I had pictures of some of their builds to post. Thanks for reviving the posting.

I agree...

Wow, that's a kick in the guts.  I was just reading through this post and loving the proportions of the model and was thinking about what I would say to Steve about it.....  

What a shame - clearly a very talented builder.

Cheers

Alan

Steve was a great guy. We were in touch often on NNL issues. When we were together people joked it was where East meets West!

He came east to NNL East a few times and I’d always see him at GSL. I was shocked at his passing since we were the same age and I wasn’t aware he was ill. Sad and a great loss for our planet!