Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor paints $0.59 at Ollie's Bargain Outlet

You guys made me a fan of Duplicolor paints and I've all but burned my collection of Testors enamels since and not looked back.

I'm needing a certain "vintage" yellow for an upcoming build and haven't seen the right color at my local auto parts stores where I've been buying Duplicolor.

Yesterday I was at Ollie's Bargain Outlet yesterday, and not only did they have the correct yellow in Duplicolor, but the cans were only FIFTY NINE CENTS!!! I also scored one can of Bright Silver and an ugly blue color (never know).

They are 5 oz. cans "Auto Spray" and "Import Auto Spray".

I initially thought Ollie's was an Ohio-only store, but I just checked the site and it looks like they actually have about 130 stores across the US.

http://www.olliesbar...om/default.aspx

If you're OUTSIDE the Cleveland area, please check it out to see if they have some as well you could use.

If you're NEAR the Cleveland area, please ignore this post - I don't want you buying up all the colors so there are none left for me!!! :):P

I bought a bunch of testors kits from there. They had all kinds of millitary jets for 16.00.

The kits were reboxed Italeri kits that run 45-60

bucks at my lhs

Just waiting for them to get another buyout. They only have cheap lundburg kits now. Bought a few. never will waste even 3 dollars one one now

Those paints are probably from recent re-sets at auto parts stores like NAPA, AutoZone etc.

Great bargains and even if you get half the paint out of a can, it was only 59 cents!

Seems like the last several runs of those quarter cans all came out of NAPA's Denver warehouse if the shipping labels were correct.

Wow. That's almost worth driving to Ohio or Maryland for. Good reason for a road trip. Well, maybe not, but still........

I SAID NOT OHIO!!! :)

Better test shoot them first. I've bought discounted Duplicolor paints and sometimes the colors don't match the name indicated. Of those, they appear to be a shade off or a bad batch. But for .59-cents, sometimes it doesn't matter that much.

Good advice. I test-shot one of the yellow cans last night and it seems to be great.

Edited by FLAWLESSVW

If any of you guys have one within like 45 min I'd recommend going. Not just for model related stuff... it's a store I could spend hours in (weekly) because they have tons of closeout stuff mainly geared towards home & garage. Lots of great guy stuff (and plenty to keep the wife busy too). One of my favorite places!

I bought a bunch of testors kits from there. They had all kinds of millitary jets for 16.00.

The kits were reboxed Italeri kits that run 45-60

bucks at my lhs

Just waiting for them to get another buyout. They only have cheap lundburg kits now. Bought a few. never will waste even 3 dollars one one now

***SMACKS FOREHEAD*** I was withholding even more information from you guys now that I think of it (actually it slipped my mind).

They DID have about 5-6 different variations of the Testors "Limited Edition" kits for $19.99. F-22 Raptor, F-15A/C and a few others. One was open and I looked in and was kinda "meh". I built a non limited edition Testors plane and was not impressed but for the right price they're not bad at all.

ALSO>>> I scored a Lindberg 1/24 - 1/25 Car Display Case for $4.99. Has a diamond-plate chrome (plastic) base. Can't imagine that's too bad of a price either?

I went to Ollies last year when they had that big hoard of Lindberg kits. Didn't buy the kits but I found the Duplicolor large cans for a buck apiece. I bought every can that was any where near a pleasing color and will never have to buy primer gray or clear coat again in my lifetime! Total damage? $25!

My local one just had 4 flats that were pretty much all the same 5 colors of dark blue, dark green and dark gray. I got 2x each of the ones I didn't have, but a disappointment from the usual pallets of them they traditionally get in normally. It's not uncommon for me to walk out with 70+ cans other times. My store also had a pile of Crown Vics, F-150s and '53 Ford Convertible Indy Pace cars. Not sure where those went because they've been somewhere else for most of this year...amazing they still are stuck with those things at this point. I think they're a buck cheaper ($7.99 vs. $8.99) this go around.