Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

An AMT 1962 T-bird convertible in the oringinal box. Assembled stock,never painted,only the engine and windshield glued....looks brand new. The glass was very neatly,but solidly glued in at the base/cowl. Any fool-proof ways of removing the windshied without damaging it?

Edited by mike 51

If the windshield is in there neat and firm, why not tape it off to paint the model?

That's the plan so far...but painting the inside of the windshield frame might look odd given the thickness of the glass. Or I could just polish the very nice white plastic and foil the trim...But I'm having trouble getting "excited" about a white Tbird.

Edited by mike 51

This I have been looking for for a number of years and now is being produced by Jeff Ballard at Motor City Resins. Anyone wanting a step van should not hesitate on this!

and, yes .. the sliding side doors will operate!

That is neat. I don't know anything about resin kits. Do you need a different model kit to get the drive train?

A Tamiya T-Shirt? I had no idea such a thing was sold.

Tamiya has a lot of "swag", the one I bought cost me $8US

Apparel

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=tamiya&DisplayMode=grid&Dis=2&Sort=std&qid=E9SOR1PS8FCNHUEQ&set=1&q=1&GenreCode2=app

Fun Goods(not making that up, thats what its listed as)

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=tamiya&DisplayMode=grid&Dis=2&Sort=std&qid=GIRKTFSHG1BA&set=1&q=1&GenreCode2=fun

That's the plan so far...but painting the inside of the windshield frame might look odd given the thickness of the glass. Or I could just polish the very nice white plastic and foil the trim...But I'm having trouble getting "excited" about a white Tbird.

Isn't the entire windshield frame chrome on the '62 T-Bird? Just mask off the whole thing, glass & frame, & then paint your body. When you're all done, foil the frame. Or you could try the "freezing" method. Get it wet & then put the body in your freezer for a few hours. Many times the cold will make the glue brittle & easier to remove, especially if it's old glue. But, be warned, freezing will make the windshield frame more brittle as well! Steve

Fascinating. Thanks. I may have just swung a deal for a brand new Tamiya 1:32 P-51D Mustang kit.

That is neat. I don't know anything about resin kits. Do you need a different model kit to get the drive train?

It comes with a drive train but is curbside .. no engine. You couldn't see it in this anyway .. on the1:1 the engine is buried eheh. Resin is a common material used to make bodies we don't have in plastic and other parts. It's a bit different but not much from plastic. Look here to see all the parts that come with it.

Isn't the entire windshield frame chrome on the '62 T-Bird? Just mask off the whole thing, glass & frame, & then paint your body. When you're all done, foil the frame. Or you could try the "freezing" method. Get it wet & then put the body in your freezer for a few hours. Many times the cold will make the glue brittle & easier to remove, especially if it's old glue. But, be warned, freezing will make the windshield frame more brittle as well! Steve

It's a 62 annual...the 'frame isn't separate.

The glue is probably 50+ years old.

I'll try the freezing method...carefully. thanks.

Edited by mike 51

It's a 62 annual...the 'frame isn't separate.

The glue is probably 50+ years old.

I'll try the freezing method...carefully. thanks.

No, I mean on the real car. There's no need to paint the windshield frame if you're just going to foil it. Just leave the glass in & mask off the whole thing, then foil after paint. Many times I'm able to get these windshields out with just a little coaxing. Glue that old can get really brittle. But, on the other hand, if it's heavily glued, & the glass is "melted" to the frame, you'll never get it out.....in one piece anyway! :unsure: I have a beautiful '62 Mercury convertible That I not only can't get the windshield out, but the up top is welded on as well! :( Steve

No, I mean on the real car. There's no need to paint the windshield frame if you're just going to foil it. Just leave the glass in & mask off the whole thing, then foil after paint. Many times I'm able to get these windshields out with just a little coaxing. Glue that old can get really brittle. But, on the other hand, if it's heavily glued, & the glass is "melted" to the frame, you'll never get it out.....in one piece anyway! :unsure: I have a beautiful '62 Mercury convertible That I not only can't get the windshield out, but the up top is welded on as well! :( Steve

Gotcha.....it's the inside of the windshield frame that concerns me..perhaps more than it should. I was lucky this person was so careful and conservative with glue. I look forward to seeing your Merc...

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...