Model Cars Magazine Forum

January Barrett-Jackson

I've been going since the early seventy's. It has changed over the years as one would expect. The early years were filled with classic brass era cars. Then there were the Rolls Royce years. Somewhere in there there was a time when it seemed as if every other car was a Tri Five Thunderbird. Somewhere in the eighty's sports cars were the ticket. Another neat side show is all the cool stuff people drive to the show. The parking lot is a show unto its self.

It's always an automotive circus. You'll find anything and everything automotive, from art, models, tools, parts and celebrity's. I have always enjoyed the complete whole day experience.

The lot list that I posted looks quite a bit different from the typical B-J fare, because it includes a lot of super-classic, coachbuilt and concept cars. B-J is not a good platform for the kind of classics I like, because most of their TV air time focuses on 60s and 70s muscle cars and custom rods, in which I have no interest, and don't bring the kind of bidding excitement and prices they would elsewhere. Too bad that RM, Coy's and Goodings have no TV live coverage.

The lot list that I posted looks quite a bit different from the typical B-J fare, because it includes a lot of super-classic, coachbuilt and concept cars. B-J is not a good platform for the kind of classics I like, because most of their TV air time focuses on 60s and 70s muscle cars and custom rods, in which I have no interest, and don't bring the kind of bidding excitement and prices they would elsewhere. Too bad that RM, Coy's and Goodings have no TV live coverage.

Except for the one lonely episode fo "Dessert Car kings" where they restored a GTO and took it to i think either RM / Russo & Steele?

I've been going since the early seventy's. It has changed over the years as one would expect. The early years were filled with classic brass era cars. Then there were the Rolls Royce years. Somewhere in there there was a time when it seemed as if every other car was a Tri Five Thunderbird. Somewhere in the eighty's sports cars were the ticket. Another neat side show is all the cool stuff people drive to the show. The parking lot is a show unto its self.

It's always an automotive circus. You'll find anything and everything automotive, from art, models, tools, parts and celebrity's. I have always enjoyed the complete whole day experience.

I usually go on Saturdays...though I may do this years' on Friday. I first went in 2002 then next in 2008, when I was still living in Denver..quite a change in the car selection between '02 and '08. Gone every year since '08, and have done Russo & Steele a couple times in there and Gooding & Company.

I usually go on Saturdays...though I may do this years' on Friday. I first went in 2002 then next in 2008, when I was still living in Denver..quite a change in the car selection between '02 and '08. Gone every year since '08, and have done Russo & Steele a couple times in there and Gooding & Company.

I've always gone on Thursday, More cars and less people. It's also only $18.00 instead of the $40.00 on Saturday.

I missed last year so I'll probably go again this year, it is an awesome experience.

I've always gone on Thursday, More cars and less people. It's also only $18.00 instead of the $40.00 on Saturday.

I missed last year so I'll probably go again this year, it is an awesome experience.

I've thought about going Thursday or Friday evening, but it's a bit too compressed time wise...Saturday works for me and I like seeing the cars in the daylight.

Hmmmmmmmmm.. can't think of a single, positive word to say about Barret Jackson and the media hype that they create and feed upon, I'll say no more. :angry:

Pretty much the way I feel about them as we'll. BJ RM... And a few other big name auctions that attract geeks with more money than brains when it comes to cars. These "Entertainment" auctions have pretty much driven the hobby far north of the average enthusiasts budget. They play to the gotta have it mentality, I know a couple of cars purchased at BJ auctions that nearly drove the "winning" bidders to bankruptcy, they will finance your purchase you know. I won't be watching the BJ Circus any time soon!

Pretty much the way I feel about them as we'll. BJ RM... And a few other big name auctions that attract geeks with more money than brains when it comes to cars. These "Entertainment" auctions have pretty much driven the hobby far north of the average enthusiasts budget. They play to the gotta have it mentality, I know a couple of cars purchased at BJ auctions that nearly drove the "winning" bidders to bankruptcy, they will finance your purchase you know. I won't be watching the BJ Circus any time soon!

I wonder what %age they get for mumbling, yelling and gesturing wildly to sell a car?

I know there are a lot of people who dislike Barrett-Jackson for a number of reasons, but I just see it as an auto show with lots of eye candy.

That's how I enjoy it...strolling around checking out the vast # of cars, buy a few things in the merch tent, watch a bit of the auction...it's just a nice car-themed weekend for me...last couple of times I've spent 5-7 hours there..then hit the Pavillion car show for an hour or two, then off to downtown Scottsdale for a nice dinner..what's not to like?

Edited by Rob Hall

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of Barrett- Jackson. All it ever is can be thought of like this- tri five Chevies, Chevelles, 'Vettes and more Hemi muscle cars than Mother Chrysler ever produced. I had to laugh when some poor schmuck paid 55 large for a '50 Suburban which meant it sold for more than the '57 Thunderbird that preceeded it. I'd much rather watch reruns of Top Gear UK because its hysterical and I get to see something different in terms of cars.

Since chrysler stopped being a major sponsor every time a mopar comes across the block they break to a comercial or some other stupid item and you usually miss the bidding. Let's see them do this when the hemi vert comes up for sale.

Wow that sucks... wait now that I remember it, they chose to go on comercial last year and when I looked at the next car page at the bottom of the screen they had a superbird and a daytona that went while they were on comercial, and later on they went to commercial with barracuda that matches mine exactly, I never learned what it was worth and have lost interest since due to the fact they arn't like the way the they used to be, they have started to bring cars in that no longer can peak my interest, "mopar or no car" style. I didn't even catch the las vegas show, as for the hemicuda I may watch as I'm obsessed with e body mopars.

Edited by 1272148

Wow that sucks... wait now that I remember it, they chose to go on comercial last year and when I looked at the next car page at the bottom of the screen they had a superbird and a daytona that went while they were on comercial, and later on they went to commercial with barracuda that matches mine exactly, I never learned what it was worth and have lost interest since due to the fact they arn't like the way the they used to be, they have started to bring cars in that no longer can peak my interest, "mopar or no car" style. I didn't even catch the las vegas show, as for the hemicuda I may watch as I'm obsessed with e body mopars.

Hmmm. Right now, I'm watching a marathon of last January's B-J Scottsdale auction, with lots of coverage of Chargers, a Cuda, etc. on the block, plus a Charger feature.

Edited by sjordan2

Wow. All this negativity toward B-J and the people who can afford to buy/play! I'd bet if any of us had the unlimited resources we'd be buying left and right, too. I know I would.

There's just that there are those who can and those who can't ... that's all. Doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else. The Barretts and Jacksons just honed in on a niche market with super potential. They worked hard to develop a cockamamie idea into a mega-empire catering to successful people and stupidly wealthy jet-setters. No different than Hollywood or Washington DC.

(Does class-envy mean that make the guy who sleeps under a bridge with his "borrowed" shopping cart the most virtuous person out there?)

I enjoy the Barrett-Jackson and ALL the other auctions for what they are ... car-guy entertainment. Not unlike major car shows or racing events ... a lot of those participants have nearly endless wealth and buy-sell-own-display exotically expensive super cars, too!

:mellow:

Wow. All this negativity toward B-J and the people who can afford to buy/play! I'd bet if any of us had the unlimited resources we'd be buying left and right, too. I know I would.

There's just that there are those who can and those who can't ... that's all. Doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else. The Barretts and Jacksons just honed in on a niche market with super potential. They worked hard to develop a cockamamie idea into a mega-empire catering to successful people and stupidly wealthy jet-setters. No different than Hollywood or Washington DC.

(Does class-envy mean that make the guy who sleeps under a bridge with his "borrowed" shopping cart the most virtuous person out there?)

I enjoy the Barrett-Jackson and ALL the other auctions for what they are ... car-guy entertainment. Not unlike major car shows or racing events ... a lot of those participants have nearly endless wealth and buy-sell-own-display exotically expensive super cars, too!

I agree DB ;)

Not all the sales are about unlimited funds or units sold for out of this world prices. 5 years ago at a local car show I met a guy with a beeeeeeaaaauuutiful 66 Chevelle convertible. It was an immaculate ground up resto-mod, silver blue with a white interior and top. A 383 stroker with a 700r4 behind it and Cragar SS/T 17 inch wheels with discs all the way around. He bought it at a B-J Auction( cant remember where) for $36,000. I didnt think that was a totally outrageous price for a car of that caliber and completely affordable by the average car buff.

He and his wife happened to be in the area and went to the auction for fun. He fell in love with the car at first sight. He figured the pricing would be crazy on it and once the bidding started he realized it was within his reach and he would never be able to build it for that price.

I`m a big do it yourselfer and enjoy building my own stuff on any type of vehicle, but the older I get and the more I watch auctions like this the more I think I`d rather spend the money and enjoy it today than spend the next pile of years building it.

Frankly and in total honesty, IF my pockets were deep enough, I;d still never attend one of these auctions nor would I EVER buy anything through them. It's got absolutely nothing to do with jealousy, envy or class predjudice. I have issues with the buyer AND the seller paying commission on a transaction and I despise the media hype that has driven prices to the moon. In my ever to be humble opinion, the "hobby" is like Christmas - it has become so commercialized and dollar oriented that it has lost it's appeal - for me anyways. Yes, there are gobs of nice cars but I'll pass thank you. If you enjoy it - I am happy for you. But I choose not to participate. For yours truly, my love for old cars is much more just that - the love of old cars. I donl't like and own a '59 Impala convertible because it is a pricey car, but rather simply because I love the design and have done so since I was a kid. I loved '59's when they were scoffed and laughed at but I like them because I like them and what anyone else thinks has always been unimportant. Actually, I preferred it when they were not so trendy because it meant that you could still buy one for a reasonable ( read that as affordable ) price.

I say what I say with all due respect to all, but I say it because its how I feel and I know that I am not alone. Said it before - I'll say it again - Ebay, the media and Barrett Jackson and their like have screwed the hobby up for the common guy because they have turned it into a business. I see where a nice car at a car show is often an object of pride and and bragging rights as to how many thousands the owner has invested in it. It's like a contest to see who has the deepest pockets. ironically, many ( most ) of the high dollar cars are check book cars where the owner has farmed all of the work out to commercial shops. To me, the joy is in working on a project and doing things with your own hands and abilities rather than paying someone else to do everything. We all have limitations as to abilities and resources ( financial and shop and equipment ) which means that there are things that we must have someone else do. But I seem to see that many ( most? ) people who love their old car just because it means something special to them and it is not about what it will be worth when it is done. just my opinion.. :):):)

So...should the auctioneers get nothing for their services, the publicity, the fame they've built to put the cars in the spotlight, etc? etc? etc? A 10% fee in addition to listing fees seems reasonable to me. And sure, there are cars that go for crazy high prices, but there are also cars that go for crazy low prices. I just saw a beautiful 1936 Cord coffin-nose 810 sedan, with a ton of modern updates, go for $33,000 - $20,000 less than a bare-bones Willys custom coupe. As mentioned above, though, it's based on the value the buyer places on it, and I don't see that Barrett-Jackson's approach or antics are any different from typical auction houses.

I've seen a lot of wild claims denigrating B-J here. Who has insider's first-hand knowledge, rather than outsider's personal opinion and rumor, to talk about?

Edited by sjordan2

A comment on the link in the first post. "No wonder Galen charges so much, cause you can't fool him." I was at the Mopar Nats in 94 and 95 and he got fooled

on a 66 Coronet 500 Convertible...It came as a 383 car and made into a hemi car..Authenticied twice. Once both years. Its from my city where I live and saw it

when it was done. New stampings and everything..Its now know as the "Most infamous 66 Coronet 500 convertible in America." Its a bright yellow one..Beware

of what you buy at the Barrett/Jackson..Lots of glitz and glitter and booze.....Mecum Auctions to me are better...

A comment on the link in the first post. "No wonder Galen charges so much, cause you can't fool him." I was at the Mopar Nats in 94 and 95 and he got fooled

on a 66 Coronet 500 Convertible...It came as a 383 car and made into a hemi car..Authenticied twice. Once both years. Its from my city where I live and saw it

when it was done. New stampings and everything..Its now know as the "Most infamous 66 Coronet 500 convertible in America." Its a bright yellow one..Beware

of what you buy at the Barrett/Jackson..Lots of glitz and glitter and booze.....Mecum Auctions to me are better...

I don't get your story. Where does Barrett-Jackson come into this?

Of course, there are lots of good auctions, and I can't comment on how they're better, but all of them have reputations to uphold - Mecum, Russo & Steele, Gooding's, RM, etc. Why so much hate for B-J? I haven't seen a single negative post here that offers an informed, reliable opinion.

The insane prices of "collectible" cars of any type can`t be blamed on anyone other than the buyers that are silly enough to pay ridiculous amounts, thus driving the prices through the roof. Its that whole "have to have it" mindset of people these days...the wealthy included.

My friend is a truck sales manager at a Ford dealership and has been in the biz for over 20 years. I asked him why in the world trucks have become so expensive, his answer was so simple......"Because people are willing to pay that much."