Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

I suppose if I want a Fuelie convertible w/out the continental kit I will have to purchase another Black Widow along with the convertible, eh?

The continental kit is an option on this kit. The flat rear bumpar is included. The fuel injection unit is another story.

I suppose if I want a Fuelie convertible w/out the continental kit I will have to purchase another Black Widow along with the convertible, eh?

Or, I suppose, they could issue a kit with every possible available option in the box ...

Nice to hear people talk about buying and building the kit. Rather than just bad mouthing it. I'm looking forward to see a few of these done. Now they need to issue a nice '57 Nomad kit.

post-10661-0-21269100-1406605201_thumb.j

Maybe not this exact kit. But, a modern tooling based on their more recent '57 Chevys.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Nice to hear people talk about buying and building the kit. Rather than just bad mouthing it. I'm looking forward to see a few of these done. Now they need to issue a nice '57 Nomad kit.

image.jpg

Maybe not this exact kit. But, a modern tooling based on their more recent '57 Chevys.

Scott

much agreed

I've read mention of a resin '57 Nomad, but what other aftermarket resin bodies are available for the modern tooling Revell Tri-Fives? A wagon, or a four door hardtop are top of my wanted list!

These are the ones I know of..

MCW has a resin '56 Bel Air 2dr ht and '57 Nomad.

The Modelhaus has a '56 Sedan Delivery and '57 150 4dr sedan

Resin Realm has a '57 4dr ht (not sure if that works w/ AMT or Revell)

I bought one this week at a hobby shop for a mear $24.00 + tax. It started out white but now looks like this

post-8577-0-47143200-1406933768_thumb.jp

post-8577-0-75752000-1406933779_thumb.jp

I found that the head light chrome lacks detail so I swiped a set from a retooled amt 57 Chevy (they fit perfectly on the revell.) My only real gripe with the kit would be the bottom is from the 56 chevy kit ( I know this because the 56's firewall, radiator , engine are included in this kit. BTW Revell call's the Stock rear bumper and the stock air cleaner CUSTOM? the Other back bumper would have been a option that you could have chosen back then. Even with this It's a great kit and I for one am glad Revell issued it.

By "bottom", are you meaning the chassis? The chassis on the Tri-5 Chevrolets is more or less the same for all three years, with only a few changes. Also, the '56 265 engine would also be correct for a '57, it was the base V8 for, 2 bbl only, and was painted a chartreuse yellow color.

Early 57 Chevy's with the 265 2bbl and manual trans were painted Chartreuse (yellow green). After November '56 or so all the 57 Chevy V8's were painted Chevy Engine Orange. The Vintage Chevy Club of America (VCCA) has researched this pretty well. Here's the only photo I could find so far.

57265early-vi.jpg

It would have been an odd choice but there could be a 57 Chevy Belair Convertible equipped with this combo or even a 235 straight six. The same way a 283 2x4 bbl. could have ordered in a 150 4dr sedan. The only engine restrictions I recall were on the Corvette that year.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Early 57 Chevy's with the 265 2bbl and manual trans were painted Chanteuse (yellow green). After November '56 or so all the 57 Chevy V8's were painted Chevy Engine Orange. The Vintage Chevy Club of America (VCCA) has researched this pretty well. Here's the only photo I could find so far.

It would have been an odd choice but there could be a 57 Chevy Belair Convertible equipped with this combo or even a 235 straight six. The same way a 283 2x4 bbl. could have ordered in a 150 4dr sedan. The only engine restrictions I recall were on the Corvette that year.

-Steve

Ding, ding, ding! You are correct, sir!

However, I would love to see a '57 BelAir ragtop with that pretty yellow and white E-400 361c.i. FE under the hood.

Oh, just one little correction, the color is Chartreuse.

Julie London was a Chanteuse. Click to fully understand the distinction..http://youtu.be/lYfSStf_njw

JulieLondon.jpg

Ding, ding, ding! You are correct, sir!

However, I would love to see a '57 BelAir ragtop with that pretty yellow and white E-400 361c.i. FE under the hood.

Oh, just one little correction, the color is Chartreuse.

Julie London was a Chanteuse. Click to fully understand the distinction..http://youtu.be/lYfSStf_njw

Darn Auto-correct got me again John .... it's fixed now. Julie London sure was something in her day but that's a discussion for another board

Never seen a Chevy engine painted a chartreuse yellow color. Yoou have photographic evidence? Every Chevy V-8 I have seen from 55 till the GM Corporates in the mid 70's were Chevy orange.

That would only have applied to Passenger V8s. Truck V8s ran several different colors over the years, with Gray being common on the 1/2 through 1 1/2 ton V8s during the '50s, and green during the '60s. The different colors were for a quick identification of what the engine was without having to check the serial number codes.

Here's a list compiled by VCCA from 1912-1966 of Chevrolet engine colors.http://1954advance-design.com/Web%20images/PPIP/PPIP-1912-1966-EngineColors.html

OK, so the 265s of '55 and '56 are red. And the '57 283s are the start of the Chevy orange engines? I always thought Chevy orange came in '58 along with the 348? Not the first or the last time I'll be wrong about something.

Scott

picture search shows the 283 as either red or orange as Chevy may have had a mid year engine color change. But then again in factory photo's in 1959 you will see a lot of the v-8's red and the six cly in a blue paint. The 57 Convertible that I'm building will have the engine in red. Although it seem's to me that any of those three colors would be correct. As it will be up to the builder on the choice of engine color.

Edited by ranma

picture search shows the 283 as either red or orange as Chevy may have had a mid year engine color change. But then again in factory photo's in 1959 you will see a lot of the v-8's red and the six cly in a blue paint. The 57 Convertible that I'm building will have the engine in red. Although it seem's to me that any of those three colors would be correct. As it will be up to the builder on the choice of engine color.

Chevrolet engines, from at least the mid-1920's through 1952 were a somewhat dark gray (Modelmaster US Navy Engine Gray--the color used on Navy radial piston engine crankcases--is a very close approximation of that gray color. In 1953, with the introduction of the "Blue Flame" version of the Chevy 6 cylinder light truck engine, for use in passenger cars with Powerglide, and of course in the Corvette, were Chevrolet Engine Blue, while the smaller 216cid engines still retained the gray color IIRC). Starting in 1954, from my reading, all Chevrolet passenger car 6 cyl. engines were 235 Blue Flame, and painted blue all the way out to the last 235's installed in 1962 full size Chevy's. Truck engines remained gray, both 6's and V8's for a number of years, I think out to about 1961 or 62.

Art