Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Chevy Convertible.

MachinistMark

Funny , that '57 ' vert has been a long time coming and no one really noticed. ;) We got a '55 , a '59 and a bunch of others but no '57. :huh:

There were threads on the '57 last year...sounds like Revell delayed the release to correctly tool the chassis.

It looks like they based it off the 2 dr sedan kit instead of the hardtop.

Kind of looks like they just cut the top off the sedan. The top of the door is straight without the swoop like the convertible/ hardtop.

That's going to render the kit useless for anything but a custom.

Can anyone who saw the body shell at MASScar can confirm if the beltline has the correct dip or not now?

Revell's '55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop has never looked quite correct to me, as that they had obviously used some of the tooling from their diecast model; and, the separate pieces for the side chrome that fit into recesses in the body sides, especially, looks clunky to me. (but, they handled that 'feature' much more accurately on their '59 Impalas).

I always thought the upper part of the windshield crown on the '55 hardtop didn't appear right to me. It appears a bit too rounded compared to pics I have of the 1:1's. The convertible's windshield frame seems to suffer from this same malady. Of course, I'm particular about this sort of thing! :P

Also the pic shown of the upcoming '57 convertible's beltline appears correct to me.........I'd like to have the kit in 3D though as we all know that pics can be deceiving.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The LHS had a couple in stock, picked one up today...looks good at first glance. Stock wheel covers and steelies w/ tires w/ whitewall inserts, choice of stock rear bumper or continental kit bumper. Separate chrome windshield frame like the '55. Chassis X-brace is separate. Choice of single or dual carbs, uptop and boot. May have to get another, do one stock and one as a period street machine or custom.

Edited by Rob Hall

Boxart shows the wrong body still.

I just saw a pic of the box art on eBay, and I'm afraid you're right! The door sills don't have the "downward sweep" that all '55-'57 hardtops had, and which was shared with the convertibles. Looks like they just wacked off the roof of the sedan and called it a day.

Oh well............ :huh:

Yup, that's pretty much what it is, I'm sure $$$ was a consideration. Connie kit and dual carbs w/ batwing air cleaners look great. For once you get an uptop with a Revell convertible! From the sounds of it this is the swan song of the modern Revell tri-five tooling. Maybe we'll get an all-new one when the do the Nomad and Handyman wagons! :D

If anybody gets one (I'm passing, but I would have passed on it regardless not very many 57 convertible junior stockers!) and would like to trade the dual carb/batwing set up for the Fuel Injection from the 150, PM me. I already have the AMT equivalent, only interested in the new Revell parts.

Kool! I'll have mine later today, so I'll have a better idea. Seems the most logical approach is to try the filing first and keep the surgery as a backup.

For symmetry, I'd probably do one side till it looked good, then trace the profile of the new dip onto a card stock template for reference on the other side. Might even go so far as to make a card stock surface gauge template or two for the cross sections on the sides, 'cause I ain't fer sure on my ability to eyeball it all. :)

Shame about the hack job...sure $$$ is a consideration, but tooling a new HT body and then chopping the top of it, even if you held that new body for a couple of years before releasing it seems like a better investment. Several guys in my club were excited to hear about this kit, I don't think the accuracy is going to stop them - or truth be told me either, after all what is the alternative?

But a lot of people in my experience had forgotten about this kit coming after it's punting back in the schedule to fix the X-brace issue. So there's still a demand for Tri-5s, and it's not like I surround myself with an older generational crowd. Releasing a HT '57 in say another 18 months would be met by a certain amount of "NOT ANOTHER TRI-FIVE KIT!!! whining, but they are iconic cars and I doubt you'd ever really have trouble selling them. Especially to the casual builder who wants a '57 Chevy, if the HT kit was the only one on the Wal*Mart/Hobby Lobby/Michael's shelf at the time.

Edited by niteowl7710

Really? Kluge job on the only 1/25 57 Convert done? Despite months of delays for X-brace?

Stuff the X-brace, get the body correct.

It again is not the point we can fix it. We shouldn't HAVE to fix it. I don't want to fix it. I don't want to buy it if it's wrong, another friggin' project at bottom of pile.

This is indefensible. Not like they don't have reference material in boxes sitting there.

Keep saving money, your business plan s--ks. You'll need it.

I pre-ordered it from Tower day it was announced. I cancelled it and every other RM kit I had ordered today.