Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dieselpunk Hybrid hot-rod: Turbines and drivetrain, Jan.25

Ace-Garageguy

So I said I was gonna do a curbside to hurry and get 'er done. I lied.

Frame from the gluebomb Pyro '37 Auburn getting gutted.

DSCN8832.jpg

Narrowed at the front, it just snuggles into the Flintstone shell (with some hacking on the shell, of course).

DSCN8835.jpg

A Revell Corvette showcar gluebomb has kindly offered its front suspension, crossmember and floors to the project.

DSCN8837.jpg

Floors in.

DSCN8839.jpg

Frame rails angle-cut to raise the arch to where it will clear the IRS axles.

DSCN8842.jpg

Jigged to keep it square.

DSCN8849.jpg

And a little styling change...veed windshield.

DSCN8854.jpg

Interesting. I've always liked the art deco type stuff. so you have my attention. And Yes, I liked The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

But, if I may, something looks out of place in the ft. maybe the headlights should be molded into the fenders Or maybe if they were only lowered closer to the body . The V'd roof /windshield will definitly add to the look. Back end is really cool as is

Interesting. I've always liked the art deco type stuff. so you have my attention. And Yes, I liked The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

But, if I may, something looks out of place in the ft. maybe the headlights should be molded into the fenders Or maybe if they were only lowered closer to the body . The V'd roof /windshield will definitly add to the look. Back end is really cool as is

I appreciate your input, and the headlights ARE going to be faired into a long, tapering bucket behind them, rather like '37 Caddy buckets, but smaller and longer and sleeker to accommodate the 5" lenses (which will be rounded in front for a more streamlined effect, will be in fact LEDs, and will light up if I can find the room for the wiring).

STILL IN MOCKUP PHASE, so parts and fitment are rough.

Frame tidied up the rest of the way, with new tubular crossmembers. Grotty members in previous pix were fixtures.

DSCN8876.jpg

Bits for guts. Individual wheel motors will be cut down from gluebomb wheels in the AMT '32 Ford / '40 Willys double kit. Front suspension (purple) and crossmember cut down from Revell StingRay3 kit. Rear suspension (black) reworked from Monogram 1/24 Cord front suspension. Banana arms are similar to Porsche 911 in function and layout. Battery packs from parts bin, represent Lithium-ion packs.

DSCN8877.jpg

Banana arms on a new torsion bar tube. Brass tube to keep everything square while setting up.

DSCN8878.jpg

Front and rear suspension, wheel-motors and batteries in place. There will be driveshafts running from the motors to each adjacent wheel, and inboard disc brakes. Though this thing would have re-generative electric brakes that convert the kinetic energy of the vehicle to electricity and recharge the batteries while braking, the lightweight hydraulic brakes are necessary to bring the car to a full stop and for emergency use should the electrical system fail.

DSCN8879.jpg

Micro-turbines reworked from the AMT Amtronic, big alternator made up from stacked air filters, Corvair engine fan, etc.

DSCN8883.jpg

Power unit assembled.

DSCN8884.jpg

Installed in chassis at necessary angle to fit within bodywork.

DSCN8893.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

whaaaa awsome :)

Thank you very much sir !

How it works: When the turbines (one or both) are running, they turn a huge alternator that pumps electricity through a large rectifier which converts it from AC to DC, and then on to the vehicle's wheel-motors and into the storage batteries. Under normal operation, power coming from the alternator drives the vehicle down the road, and at cruising speeds (which require relatively little energy to maintain) one turbine can be shut down. When maximum acceleration is called for, power from the battery storage pack augments the power available from the alternator to give a burst of speed, for a few seconds. Massive acceleration is only available as long as the charge in the batteries lasts, but once high speed is achieved it takes less energy to sustain it, and the turbine / alternator power unit can maintain speed while recharging the battery packs (rapid-recharge, deep-cycle lithium-ion). The vehicle has a limited range on battery power alone and can be recharged from household current (plug-in-hybrid).

Under braking, the wheel-motors are electrically switched to become generators, and electricity generated is pumped back into the battery packs. Excess power (more than the batteries can absorb) is converted to heat by large resistors (dynamic braking), and normal hydraulic disc brakes are used to bring the vehicle to a stop (regenerative won't stop, only slow), for emergency backup, and for parking brakes.

DSCN8888.jpg

DSCN8885.jpg