Model Cars Magazine Forum

Improved Lighting & Magnification Options?

I never wore glassed until just a few years ago, but about 20 years ago I got an Optivisor for superdetail work. It takes a little getting used to. A few years ago I had to start using reading glasses for all modeling work. Now I have to use the Optivisor for almost ALL modeling.

It's presbyopia (I think it's called). As you get older, it's harder to focus on things close up. Still got good distance vision, and can still pass my driver test with no glasses. All part of God's Great Plan, I suppose. :unsure:B)

I never wore glassed until just a few years ago, but about 20 years ago I got an Optivisor for superdetail work. It takes a little getting used to. A few years ago I had to start using reading glasses for all modeling work. Now I have to use the Optivisor for almost ALL modeling.

It's presbyopia (I think it's called). As you get older, it's harder to focus on things close up. Still got good distance vision, and can still pass my driver test with no glasses. All part of God's Great Plan, I suppose. :unsure:B)

x2. I've had 20/20 vision all my life, and now my eyes won't focus like they should. I hate getting old.

I have an extendable work light on my model desk(non magnified).I bought an Optivisor years ago thinking I would use it more than I use it now. I can use my reading glasses for most of my model work but every now and then I don the Optivisor when I feel the need for extra close vision or when working with very tiny parts.

Well, I got a very good deal on an Optivisor from my local hobby shop.

They rant and raved on how well it works for em and I can return it if not satisfied.

When I get a real work space set up, I envision having a desk version as well. I'm a big fan of having many tools for those quick short needs.

Well, I got a very good deal on an Optivisor from my local hobby shop.

They rant and raved on how well it works for em and I can return it if not satisfied.

When I get a real work space set up, I envision having a desk version as well. I'm a big fan of having many tools for those quick short needs.

Let me warn you: It takes some getting used to. You might have trouble focusing, or getting your two eyes and your brain to "coordinate" the picture for a while. But don't give up on it. After a few hours, your eyes and brain will learn what to do and will be able to adjust to it instantly every time you put it on--even if you haven't used it for a while.

I'm pretty sure I'm going thru this now (just within the past six months or so). I can see distance fine, but it takes longer for my eyes to focus when I switch to something closer. I catch myself pulling reading material down to arms length a lot lately. And if the lighting isn't good, sometimes un-painted white plastic is just a blur. :blink:

Guess I'll be investing in something pretty soon too.

I bought an Ott brand lit base with the round base because it produces natural light and I love it.Mine came from Hobby lobby but they quit cattying that brand.They are available at Michaels Crafts ad they do carry replacement bulbs there as well.I certainly love mine.I am 72 and still buiding thanks to my Ott lamp.

I bought an Ott brand lit base with the round base because it produces natural light and I love it.Mine came from Hobby lobby but they quit cattying that brand.They are available at Michaels Crafts ad they do carry replacement bulbs there as well.I certainly love mine.I am 72 and still buiding thanks to my Ott lamp.

Hi Tom,

I see a few diff Ottlites at Michaels, do you mind snapping a pic?

• 1 month later...

Maybe its just because I am getting older.

But I've finally come to the conclusion I need one of them fancy lighted maginifier thingys .

Attempting to do some bare metal foil work this morning and I am having a hard time seeing it close up enough to get good clean edge.

So , I am looking for ideas . Which one do you have ,,,and why is it better than the rest .

I am thinking the one that you wear like a ball cap ( for mobility issues ) . Or is the desk mounted variety better ?

I've been using an Optivisor for detail work for over a decade now. I literally couldn't build anymore without it. IMine's not lighted but if I ever felt the need, I guess I could duck-tape a couple penlights to the thing.

I can't imagine trying to use one of desktop thingies and having to wrestle everything I work on under that.

One warning about the Optivisor (or similar): It takes some getting used to. You might have trouble focusing, or resolving the two images in your brain, or even get dizzy a little at first. But stick with it and your brain and eyes will learn how to handle it and before you know it you'll be putting it on and making the transisitions instantly and unconsciously.

visor-vi.jpg

Anyone have experience with this one? I took the photo at Hobby Lobby, thinking $21.99 minus 40% would be a deal, but only if it's a good tool. I'd rather spend money on the right tool than a bargain.

I wear glasses, but only for reading and close up work. I found that those Walmart / Foster Grant cheater glasses also work as a substitute for my prescription in a pinch. I believe I have the 2x.

Here at work, we use lighted magnifying lamps; they really do make a difference when working on those fine-pitch ICs. At home, I have an old, O.C. White flourescent magnifying lamp that needs a new ballast. With it, and my Rx bifocals, life is so much nicer. I tried the Optivisor and wasn't comfortable or happy.

visor-vi.jpg

Anyone have experience with this one? I took the photo at Hobby Lobby, thinking $21.99 minus 40% would be a deal, but only if it's a good tool. I'd rather spend money on the right tool than a bargain.

I wear glasses, but only for reading and close up work. I found that those Walmart / Foster Grant cheater glasses also work as a substitute for my prescription in a pinch. I believe I have the 2x.

I don't have experience with that particular brand/model but that price is about right for a usable-quality product. With 40% off I don't think you can go wrong.