Model Cars Magazine Forum

Funny how vintage race cars never looked so good.

You're absolutely right. A lot of that stuff was painted with fleet enamel to get a tough finish with an OK gloss without a lot of buffing, etc. The cars lived hard and got repainted frequently, and most of them never ever had a gloss like that (though a few drag cars actually did look that slick).

Though it looks great, it's over restored. That happens quite frequently with any restoration. Pretty sure all the jewelery like finished muscle cars you see on the T.V. auctions never looked that good new. I suppose that why survivor cars have become so popular. They are only original once they say

Didn't we just get done arguing about shiny race cars???

I like race cars. In particular, I like shiny race cars. If I were to get my hands on an actual NASCAR prepped wing car and spend tens to hundreds of thousands piecing it back together, I'd darn sure make it shiny too. Unless it was a complete car, completely original as raced condition with some historical significance, I would make it shine.

Edited by kalbert

Also the stance looks more modern. Did they get the cars that low in "the day"?

You bet they did. They'd all but drag the frame on the ground if rules would allow it. Particularly the wing cars, purpose built to push the rule book as far as it would go.

I like race cars. In particular, I like shiny race cars. If I were to get my hands on an actual NASCAR prepped wing car and spend tens to hundreds of thousands piecing it back together, I'd darn sure make it shiny too. Unless it was a complete car, completely original as raced condition with some historical significance, I would make it shine.

fwiw, no arguement here... I enjoy them in whatever state be it shiney and super restored or as raced, heck even rusty as found in a barn

I bet we did. We must really like 'em. :P This ain't the same article now is it ? :o

I didn't read the article attached

BUT,

I know the owner of the bird pictured and although I'm not 100% certain, I am pretty sure the car in question is NOT restored. Which would put the paint sometime in the 1970-1973 time frame. I do know the car has had some maint work done but don't think any of it was exterior paint related.

I believe it's mostly been tires / brake / chassis / driveline maint / upkeep in the name of safety and reliability only.

Current owner bought the car from the flipper that bought it directly from Ramo Stot .( aka original owner/driver)

Ramo held on to the car, and instead of reskining it to a more modern body style as rules mandated back then . It remained in it's last race configuration. Which I believe was last raced in the early to mid 70's

Most race teams have "duplicate" show cars that they take to different venues around the country that are far more detailed and finished than what actually appears in a race. I shot a few TV commercials with Dale Earnhardt and a #3 show car, which was much more finished than anything he ever raced. Same with Kyle Petty and his cars.

Edited by sjordan2

I couldn't say.

There's some discussion on the HAMB about whether it's over-restored or not.

Some feel rather strongly that Miller had such a thing for detail that his cars did race with that level of detail & finish.

All the chrome & polish aside, I'm in awe of the beauty of the design & precision of the machine work.

Edited by Ognib