Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I dont mind the snow - but it sure irks me when we get a nice fresh 6 - 8 " then followed by rain. What a mess , Snow in the Winter, Rain in the Spring - what is so difficult about that..

We are getting rain all day today... supposed to get snow overnight. We get it all here! :lol:

Depends, when I prepay, I usually give the cashier too much to make sure I fill the tanks then go back and get the change and in many cases buy a snack and/or sugary beverage with the change.

Why not just pull up to the pump, go in and get what you want (snacks or coffee or whatever), tell the cashier to give you 20 bucks on pump 12 or whatever... pay for everything (snacks and gas)... then go out and pump your gas... and you're done. ONE trip into the store. Why complicate it and make TWO trips into the store? :blink:

Two things recently have irked me.

1. Got a call today from an extended automobile warranty company. Between the guy not speaking very clear English and mispronouncing my name, I was irritated but then when he insisted the warranty on my wife's car had expired and I ABSOLUTELY needed an extended warranty, that was when I hung up.

2. Customer service at certain stores. I needed a part for our dryer and went to the Sears Parts and Service Center, with part number and model number in hand. I even had the old part with the part number right on it, so it was pretty much foolproof. I get there, the well meaning older gentleman working there insisted on looking it up in his computer, "just to make sure". Showed him my piece of paper with all of the information that I had written down from the same website and he still wanted to make sure it was right because he didn't want me to have to make a second trip, ya know, in case I was wrong. 10 long minutes later he walks over to the bin and gets the part for me and then takes another 10 minutes trying to figure out how to ring up the sale. He hands me the part, the receipt and my change and I notice that the part was in a plastic bag that had been opened and then taped up. I told him I was going to exchange it for one that hadn't been opened, and that's when he tried to assure me there was nothing wrong with it. I exchanged it while he was going on and on and my comeback was that I wanted a new piece because, ya know, I didn't want to have to make a second trip!

I swear, I used to frequent Sears but in the last year or so I find myself NOT going there because the customer service has become so poor and the selection has gone downhill.

I was going to complain about the weather but it was beautiful today, 75 and sunny. A week ago it was 35 and 8" of snow on the ground!

Edited by mikemodeler

Update: Nana's surgery went "okay," as the doctors put it, which for her injury and age, is about as good as it gets.

She'll be in the hospital for a few days, followed by a few weeks of rehab. What amazes (and concerns me) is that at least as of now, th plan is to return to her apartment after.

Charlie Larkin

Since we're all whining about gas stations, my peeve is self service stations! Yea, I know I'm from NJ and there's only two states left that have full service as standard. Oh, New Jersey has the cheapest gas prices in the country. Having grown up in Jersey, I'd much rather have someone pump my gas!

The reason you'll never see self service in New Jersey is that the NJ Independent service station association opposes it because it serves big oil. In every state that there was a change to self service, the campaign was financed by big oil, with promise that gas prices would go down. In each case, once the law was changed, large oil companies cancelled leases with independent owners, blew out the service bays, installed a convenience store and turned it into a company owned location. Oh, and the initial token reduction in gas prices went away once the change over was complete. So self service is pro big oil and anti small business!

And the funny thing is that self serve is one of those Tom Sawyer painting the fence things. The campaign always was "Vote for your RIGHT to pump your own gas. As if there was some major civil rights issue. And people fell for it. And now I know people will respond that they like to pump their own gas... see Tom Sawyer convinced you that you want to paint the fence!

In NJ full service isn't any slower than if you pumped it yourself. Most stations, especially the high volume ones have a couple of guys running around handling customers. In fact, the Wawa brand stations encourage you to go in the store while the attendant is filling your car. When you get back, (if you used a credit/debit card) your receipt is hanging off your door handle. A pleasure. And Wawa hires middle aged to older men (and I've seen women too) as their pumpers. They're guys who really need a job or retired guys supplementing their incomes. They're nice and happy to help you.

Originally self service wasn't allowed due to the hazards of people working the pumps. I still see idiots pumping gas and smoking a cigarette at the same time. And people use cell phones, which aren't intrinsically safe, which means they can spark an explosion. And there's enough cause for it to be banned on health and environmental concerns alone. It's funny that there are OSHA laws on proper training and handling of chemicals less hazardous than gasoline.

With the current state of the economy, as big oil continues to report record profits, forget state laws (another peeve of mine!) if you want to put people to work enact a federal law prohibiting self service. Immediately thousands to maybe millions of jobs would be created.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Harry dumping on J.Geils. : )

Not dumping on them. I actually have one of their albums. I kind of like them. Ok... one or two of their songs. "Must Have Got Lost" is good. "Give It to Me" is ok. But then they do goofy stuff like "Centerfold" and I have to wonder. Just my opinion, of course. ^_^

The USA losing to Canada in the men's Olympic hockey semi-final just now :(

Yeah, but think about it. If any country should win the gold in hockey, shouldn't it be Canada? It's their national sport. And besides, it's not like it was a blowout or anything, Wasn't the final score 1-0?

Not dumping on them. I actually have one of their albums. I kind of like them. Ok... one or two of their songs. "Must Have Got Lost" is good. "Give It to Me" is ok. But then they do goofy stuff like "Centerfold" and I have to wonder. Just my opinion, of course. ^_^

I know Harry. Just poking fun. You are free to like or dislike anyone you wish. BTW I hate the song "Centerfold".

People who constantly criticize every new kit that is released tends to irk me today and every day really. Not everyone in the hobby is a rivet counter or a contest winning builder and the constant whining is really over the top! If you don't like a companys product don't buy it. I would wager that some of you buy the newest kit just so you have something to complain about. One of the major complaints that I hear working at my LHS is how much kits have gone up in price "since I was a kid" and I don't think people realize what goes into producing a kit. In my opinion most of the kits out there today build into a perfectly acceptable model to sit on ones shelf, if you want a contest winner than you'll have to put in the time and effort. The whining just seems to have reached a point where it is becoming a hobby unto itself. I hope everyone takes this in the best possible way because far be it from me to cause any more strife in your already harried life. Enjoy!

I hafta agree with you Mark on that. A lot of complainers probably don't build much, but just buy kits. The only thing that buying a kit proves, is that one can spend money. If a person want the "perfect kit" it's gonna cost them plenty. Yes, I did say PLENTY. Hire an engineer and designer to plan the model for you and then have it produced. Make sure it is EXACTLY the way you want it before you make the final payment, and I hope that you have very DEEP pockets. And BTW, the box-art will cost extra.

Some interesting background behind self-service stations, Tom. Although with a lot of the idiots here at the "full-serve" (really mini-serve, nobody washes your windsheild or checks oil for you, even if asked,) that pour gas all over my car and ruin my paint-job, in a way, I'm kind of glad I can pump my own gas.

I always thought it was New Jersey's gas tax that kept their prices down and that full-service stations would actually increase price (more employees, etc.)

Charlie Larkin

People who constantly criticize every new kit that is released tends to irk me today and every day really. Not everyone in the hobby is a rivet counter or a contest winning builder and the constant whining is really over the top! If you don't like a companys product don't buy it. I would wager that some of you buy the newest kit just so you have something to complain about. One of the major complaints that I hear working at my LHS is how much kits have gone up in price "since I was a kid" and I don't think people realize what goes into producing a kit. In my opinion most of the kits out there today build into a perfectly acceptable model to sit on ones shelf, if you want a contest winner than you'll have to put in the time and effort. The whining just seems to have reached a point where it is becoming a hobby unto itself. I hope everyone takes this in the best possible way because far be it from me to cause any more strife in your already harried life. Enjoy!

I am just too happy some of the older kits are making a comeback....just wish the local hobby lobby would get them...most of the time issued kits just never show at ours...bummer. I love the fact the model companies are hearing what we want and responding to the requests for them...makes me a happy camper.

You know what irks me, that a club member has decided to keep something for himself that was supposed to be given to me, that is what I get for being a nice person

Don't feel like you're alone, Jonathan-I got ripped off by one of the "Proud Members' of the Moon Light Modelers group too.

That was over two years ago.......I guess that liar must have needed it more than I did. I think he is proud to be a chiseler.

I am just too happy some of the older kits are making a comeback....just wish the local hobby lobby would get them...most of the time issued kits just never show at ours...bummer. I love the fact the model companies are hearing what we want and responding to the requests for them...makes me a happy camper.

Too bad you don't live closer to my store, se have a decent selection of those reissues! Now if I could better afford to, the selection would be worse...... :P