Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I've looked at this thread before but never felt I had much that irked me..until today! At work I share an office with a fellow worker, we work in a chemical plant; the office is at the dock area.

So I've been personalizing the space to some extent with some of my completed models and few diecasts.

I used to follow Nascar, Davey Allison being my favorite driver I displayed one of his diecasts.Between yesterday and this morning someone decided to walk off with!!

Mind You it wasn't in very good condition and i was thinking about refinishing it, so it didn't even seem to be worth the effort!!

Just the principle of it, i guess!!

Edited by madhorseman

My irks of the week... TWO pain in the tail complaints about NNL East.

Some clown sent me a very irate email that we ruined his life because NNL East is the same day as Carslile this year. He is going to tell all his friends never to come to our show again! Oh goodie. He also said that NNL East would FAIL because more people want to go to Carslile than a model car show!

We moved the show back a week this year since we otherwise would collide with Easter. Many people travel long distances and travel home on Sunday. Never mind that our normal annual date collides with the Englishtown show, which is much closer. Such is the need to take a date that the hall has available. Either that or no show at all.

I got a nasty phone call from someone upset that the Parsippany Holiday Inn doesn't offer a discount to NNL East attendees. Well we moved the show north FIVE FRIGGIN YEARS AGO. We have a host hotel near our new show site that we nearly fill. Everyone who stays there is helping defray the costs of our being able to offer a host hotel, and insures we can do so in the future.

The old hotel, under the old manager, continued to offer our discount without our participation. This year the new manager called me and wanted me to sign a contract. Um, no. So excuse me that I wouldn't guarantee them 25 rooms on my personal credit card that has no benefit to me or NNL East, just so you can stay there working against us!

I feel much better now!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I've looked at this thread before but never felt I had much that irked me..until today! At work I share an office with a fellow worker, we work in a chemical plant; the office is at the dock area.

So I've been personalizing the space to some extent with some of my completed models and few diecasts.

I used to follow Nascar, Davey Allison being my favorite driver I displayed one of his diecasts.Between yesterday and this morning someone decided to walk off with!!

Mind You it wasn't in very good condition and i was thinking about refinishing it, so it didn't even seem to be worth the effort!!

Just the principle of it, i guess!!

Chemical plant. Dock. Hmmm - how about security cameras? Get your security force to check out their cameras for the thief.

Man, I just have to vent before I rip someone's head off!! :angry:
Today just hasn't been a good day all around, and partly because it started yesterday! I didn't get any sleep last night because my back decided to rear it's ugly head last night and I just couldn't get comfortable and was up all night. At least one good thing out of that, the better half didn't have to fight me to wake up at 8:00 AM to take her to a doctor's appointment she's already missed three times because she either couldn't get a ride, the weather was too bad to go, or she rescheduled it for a day that was not one of my scheduled days off. Yesterday, me and my "brother" JR (which just also happens to be my better half's ex and father to her daughter [LONG STORY!!] but also the son of long time friends that I consider family that I met dating his sister in high school) were trying to figure out what the shaking was in my 1983 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue. Well, other than badly worn shocks I already knew were getting changed, we thought we tracked it down to a badly worn tire. After throwing the full size spare on from the trunk, it seemed to calm the shake down and figured the shocks that I had to order yesterday and he installed for me today would do the trick, along with a front end alignment. WELLLLLLLLLLL, that wasn't it, but the other front tire we discovered today had a broken belt. So, after JR fought the old shocks off the front with a grinder, I went to the closest tire shop and got two new tires and alignment done, and figured that would be it until next week to fix some rust and exhaust work and see what a new windshield would be so it would pass WV state inspection. YEAH, RIGHT! :angry: I find out that they couldn't do the alignment today because I need a new idler arm in the steering before it can be aligned, and of course, I had to go back to Advance Auto and order that to pick up on my way to work tomorrow! On top of it all, I asked the mechanic that was under the car for the alignment, other than the obvious I already knew, did he see anything else that would not let it pass inspection. That's when he told me I had a rust hole in the frame! :angry: He didn't notice anything else, but he said when I bring it back for the alignment, he'd check it closer, and if there are more than two rust holes in the frame to fix, I can't even have them repaired because with more than two, it will not pass WV inspection with more than two frame repairs! I might have just dumped over $200 into a car I can't even make legal here! :angry:

My old 77 Chevy pickup did over 300.000, anything built in the last 20 years should do that or more. Keep your service up.

I once had a 73 Chevy cargo van my dad bought it a year old with 9,000. miles on it gave it to me many years later I drove it forever when I sold it it had 479,000 miles on the same engine with very little ever needed to be done with it....still ran great.

I once had a 73 Chevy cargo van my dad bought it a year old with 9,000. miles on it gave it to me many years later I drove it forever when I sold it it had 479,000 miles on the same engine with very little ever needed to be done with it....still ran great.

Rust got mine, I scraped it and kept the engine (4 bolt main 350) for some future use.

Today's irkage are people that can't read signs and park illegally in marked reserved parking spaces.

My younger brother has a 2nd shift job as a welder. Years ago, when he lived in one of Dallas' sketchier neighborhoods, he'd occasionally come home after midnight to find some "visitor" parked in his assigned, covered spot. These spots were convenient, being the closest to the buildings, but were clearly marked as "reserved" with signs indicating that violators would be towed. The violators got bolder over time because the apartment management folks left this part up to the renters.

It got to the point where if he found a car in his spot, he'd just find a space in visitor parking then go inside and call the towing company. After four different people had been towed*, his assigned spot was never invaded again.

*I'm sure the process is the same in most places, but Dallas seems to have a terrible reputation for high towing and impound release costs. The majority of people in this neighborhood weren't exactly loaded, so I'm guessing most learned their lesson the first time. Some apartment complexes now advertise the use of towing companies assigned to remove violators B)

Edited by Monty

My younger brother has a 2nd shift job as a welder. Years ago, when he lived in one of Dallas' sketchier neighborhoods, he'd occasionally come home after midnight to find some "visitor" parked in his assigned, covered spot. These spots were convenient, being the closest to the buildings, but were clearly marked as "reserved" with signs indicating that violators would be towed. The violators got bolder over time because the apartment management folks left this part up to the renters.

It got to the point where if he found a car in his spot, he'd just find a space in visitor parking then go inside and call the towing company. After four different people had been towed*, his assigned spot was never invaded again.

*I'm sure the process is the same in most places, but Dallas seems to have a terrible reputation for high towing and impound release costs. The majority of people in this neighborhood weren't exactly loaded, so I'm guessing most learned their lesson the first time. Some apartment complexes now advertise the use of towing companies assigned to remove violators B)

I snap a photo of the offender's license plate and email it to the university's parking department. My employer has a block of reserved spots closest to the building, and some people think they can park there, even though they are clearly marked (my employer leases its office space from Arizona State University in one of their off-campus buildings).