Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1:32 1977 Mercury Monarch

Maindrian Pace

This Lindberg series is very cool because it has a lot of cars that were never done any other way. Some of them are pretty common and can be bought at shows for $10-20. Some of the others are fairly scarce and command $50 or more when found. That would include the Granada, Monarch, Cordoba and Charger. I'm sure we could add others to this list.

I also like the 1/32 scale Maverick I believe is Monogram, and the Chevelle Police car. Whenever I'd list one of those Mavericks on eBay, there'd always be a bidder war and I'd wind up shipping it to Brazil. Mavericks were made much longer there and are very popular collector cars.

Now the big question... is there a market for a resin caster to produce these? Or are those of us who want them few and far between? 1/32 is the big scale in slot cars, so would resin bodies be welcomed there (or would resin be too heavy?)?

And it will be interesting to see if Round 2 has any of this tooling.

MVC003S-vi.jpg

MVC004S-vi.jpg

DSC00017-vi.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger

For one of the 1/32 Lindberg kits, this one is amazing! Beautiful work, Mike.

Thanks Casey.

need to be re-tooled and reissued as 1/25 scale!

I would buy the heck outta them

not much of a 1/32 fan or the bigger 1/20 ......

Neither am I, but it's fun doing something different every so often and this Monarch and the Granada - http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78643&hl=granada - were fun low pressure projects.

-MJS

This is impressive build. You did fantastic job with the Headlight modifications. I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't mentioned it, you've done it so nicely. Also I like the Landau top, even if I never liked it in 1:1 scale and that color is just perfect. Very nice build overall, it's hard to tell that it's such a small scale model.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I would die if Round2 were to reissue these kits !! My parents bought a 1976 Monarch in March of '76 . It was a 2 door coupe with the 351W ; silver with cranberry red interior and a silver "quarter top" .

Been looking for these Lindberg 32nd scale Monarchs for some time . Seems that I can never "win" one when they pop up on eBay :(

My parents too bought one new in 1975. Kind of a rusty red color. Tan bucket seats, no vinyl roof. Not one of my favorite cars, but I would love it if Round 2 would repop this one.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Love the model! I have a 1976 Mercury Monarch Ghia with an original 351w/qautomatic with power bucket driver's seat and console. I am also working on a Lindberg '76 Granada. I actually have 2 of these models I bought off of Ebay for around $50 each but one was broken when I received it. I really want a Monarch model though.

There is a Lindberg Monarch kit. Put a search agent up in eBay and you'll come across one soon enough!

I had a 1977 Monarch Ghia 4 door sedan. I loved the Granada / Monarch from the moment I saw them, even painted my '66 Valiant that same silver in 1976. I guess it was 1981 that a buddy-0-mine at work had his father's Monarch for sale. His dad was working in England and didn't need the car. It needed a left front fender and I paid $600 for it.

Mine was a silver 4 door with a blue bucket seat interior, complete with the same console that was in the Mustangs. I had the same console in my 1979 Capri. It had a blue vinyl roof and the trunk mounted luggage rack.

I found a silver fender easily, but with that silver that flaked off those shortly after leaving the assembly line, I spent the summer sanding down and priming the car. I was afraid to repaint it silver so we did it in a very light gull gray. Then I fell in love with the new Nissan Stanza hatchback, so I sold it for $3000 and bought that Stanza as our family car for $8000.

1/32?? Very nice work!

I had a 77 Granada in the same colors, & like Tom mentioned, the silver paint peeled off in a few years. I saw quite a bit of that on other silver Ford models, too. Was it water based primer that they were trying? I seem to remember someone telling me that. My dad & I repainted mine gray & then, sold it.

1/32?? Very nice work!

I had a 77 Granada in the same colors, & like Tom mentioned, the silver paint peeled off in a few years. I saw quite a bit of that on other silver Ford models, too. Was it water based primer that they were trying? I seem to remember someone telling me that. My dad & I repainted mine gray & then, sold it.

Exactly what I did! I painted mine dove grey and sold it. I used to call that color "Off Silver" because it came off! I think that was a period of change when the auto manufacturers were trying to follow government mandates of more enviromentally friendly paints, but no doubt without enough lead time to get it right!