Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '69 Shelby GT500 conv.

towtruck

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review, Tim. I built the fastback, which was molded in yellow and fought me all the way, so I was on the fence about getting this kit; although I always wished they'd done the convertible. I will definately pick this one up. At least I'll know what to watch out for this time. And, it looks like I won't need a PE sheet to compensate for the "soft" body emblems!

A friend of mine had one of these (red w/white top & interior) just after high school. Instead of going to college, he started a commercial painting business that did very well, obviously (these cars were expensive in 1975, as they are now). Unfortunately, this guy also aquired a huge cocaine habit, demolished the Shelby, and ran his business into the ground. Maybe he should've gone to college and been broke for awhile, eh? C'est la vie!

PB.

post-4517-0-89824900-1385387322_thumb.jppost-4517-0-84652300-1385387340_thumb.jppost-4517-0-08196900-1385387362_thumb.jppost-4517-0-80450700-1385387377_thumb.jppost-4517-0-77131300-1385387395_thumb.jp

Got one. Shows JUST how goofy these things have made me! Believe it or not, I only bought it for the side scoops. Turns out,they're WRONG. Usual R/M laziness. Would it have been SOOOO much trouble to mold them PROPERLY???? The Shelby's side scoops have a FOUR sided scoop opening. Similer to the front of a SixPak scoop. The ones in the kit are molded with THREE sides, no bottom lip, like a Hemi hoodscoop. Thats flat out WRONG! Nuthin I cant fix,but it woulda been nice to have it done RIGHT. Still like ANY Shelby(for the MOST part) but like the Cuda, Which Donn already noticed was a bit taller on the distance between the belt sculpture line to the shoulder sculpture line seems to be about a X-acto saws width TOO tall. Still, they're tryin so I'm buyin. I'll fix watevers wrong with them, TO ME, and just keep on buildin! Glad to see some NEW kits, PERIOD!!!!

I am in for this also . The '70 Shelby is the same as a '69 . Some small changes to made it mandate perfect to sell as a '70 MY . Like one for instance ;

shoulger harness - the Shelby already had . The ring type Reverse lockout/ingition lockout - already swithched in the '69 MY on all Mustangs . I am building a tributre build in Grabber Orange . The GT 350 has the 289 - 302 dressed in Shelby Garb on the outside , to answer your question Kelson . Thanx ..

While the Revell 69-70 Shelby GT500 was tooled from the same original Master as the Revell 69 Mach I and the Monogram 70 Boss 429 and 302, the Revell kits were all done in 1/25 scale and the Monograms in 1/24 scale. The front fenders and nose on all of them other than the Shelby has never been right.Still, I hope the convertible tool is an insert or additional small tool and that the sportroof body cavity has not been altered to the convertible. I hate when model companies wreck what they have in order to make something new.

While the Revell 69-70 Shelby GT500 was tooled from the same original Master as the Revell 69 Mach I and the Monogram 70 Boss 429 and 302, the Revell kits were all done in 1/25 scale and the Monograms in 1/24 scale. The front fenders and nose on all of them other than the Shelby has never been right.Still, I hope the convertible tool is an insert or additional small tool and that the sportroof body cavity has not been altered to the convertible. I hate when model companies wreck what they have in order to make something new.

Based on the photos Tim showed, the body looks like a new piece of steel as several aspects of the body are "crisper" in ways that would be hard to obtain simply by whacking the roof off the existing kit and tweaking the tooling. There's a new interior tub too since the back seat is narrower in the convertible. Revell spent a few bucks in making this kit, and it's one of the few new/modified releases they've done this year I'll actually purchase.

Edited by niteowl7710

• 2 years later...

Click on the link below for 21 pictures and captions showing all of what's new in this kit Revell just introduced last week.

DSC_0753-vi.jpg

Here's the link, and thanks for looking! TIM

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/first-lookwhats-new/first-lookwhats-new/

I some how missed this review when it was posted 3 years ago. I'm not a big '69 - '70 Shelby fan, which is probably why I missed it. I doubt I'll be adding this one to my collection, but I always appreciate Tim's reviews.