Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats To Much? 24cyl. 12 superchargers, (( updated 11-13))

Well, I watched the video walkaround (good shots of the plumbing start at 7:11) and the turbo compressor outlets are plumbed into an airbox that sits under the phoney injector hat, and over the carbs. Now I'm back to my original position on the rig...it just about has to lose all the turbo boost when the "injector" butterflies open. It can still run fine as a suck-through (carbs), mechanically supercharged engine, but the turbos aren't actually doing much of anything except perhaps SLIGHTLY raising the pressure above atmospheric BEFORE the carbs. Full blow-through carb setups are notoriously difficult to tune, and require things like sealed throttle shafts and interesting compensations to make the power-valves work, etc.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/carburetors/how-csu-builds-blow-through-carburetors/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

No, Your right, not 26MPG. It was 28MPG.. Sorry :) 100% sure. it is a Turbo 4.8 LS engine with an auto w/ overdrive. Ran 8.85@152. Stock bottom end 4.8 (Stock crankshaft, pistons, rods and bolts) Here is his youtube channel. He also has a civic or two that run 10 sec 1/4... Drives his Grandmother to church in the 4.8 powered car ;) There is an article about his car in LS1Mag? Last name is Lavoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGyL615C2Lg

Also look in "Hot Rod Magazine" They tested a stock bottom end 4.8 achieving 1200HP..

118 octane race gas

Twin 76mm eBay turbos

Cam

Ported heads

Arp head studs

Fast Intake and throttle body

26.8 psi for 1,203 hp!!! Still didnt go boom...

Made 60 Dyno Pulls and it never popped...

Seriously fella, he is not getting 28mpg out of a 8 sec, 700 whp car . If it were true, he should sell his secret to the major car manufacturers of the world. he would become an overnight billionaire.... after all, thats better MPG than my wifes Toyota Rav 4

LMAO!! I know this guy it isn't just some video I posted on here that I found.. Secondly, your wifes rav 4 weighs a lot more than 3,000 lbs. Listen.. It is a 200R4 Transmission which gives hime 3 great gear ratio's for the 1/4 and an 4th gear which is an overdrive which allows him to cruise at a low RPM.. A stock 4.8 in a full sized chevy Silverado (4,600lb truck) gets 19MPG. The C5 Corvette which is the 5.7L version of this motor (LS1) gets 30 MPG on the highway. If you watch the video he even states he got 28 MPG. If it is soo hard for you to believe read the magazine articles about the car.. Also I will try to get him on here so he can tell you himself ;).. Not sure why it is soo hard to believe it isn't a radical build. Stock bottom end 4.8 L LS motor, with an LS6 Cam (Stock cam for the C6 Corvettes) Texas speed heads ( Worked over LS type design heads), FAST Intake manifold and a Precision 74MM Turbo. 700WHP now a days really isn't eye popping and there are A LOT of cars making that power. Things have progressed sir and this isn't a Carbureted 350 from 1968 with a huge cam, quadra Jet and Tunnel ram that gets horrible gas mileage LOL.. If I were you I would research before I try to call someone a liar ;)

Here is the article about the car from "LSX TV"

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/car-features/video-stock-4-8l-short-block-pushes-71-datsun-into-the-8s/

Now with this said, the only reason I know about it is because the guy is a friend of mine. Other than that I am a true Ford fan. So don't think I am one of those LS fan boys. The motors 4.8 and 5.3L LS series engines) Are amazing to say the least.. Enjoy the article.. Scroll down to see the gas mileage on the car. The entire build for the car is mentioned and it has been replicated time and time again since it is soo effective.. most people go with a 3speed auto instead of a trans with an overdrive. But he drives this car regularly so he went with the better option for MPG.. The car is beautiful and I hope you guys enjoy the pictures and info.. Sorry to hi jack or get off topic, but I didn't appreciate being called a liar ;)

Yes Ace exactly. Serially two stage boost works fine, but in parallel it cancels itself out. Shiny happy pipes for no reason!

I still maintain the blower in that setup would prevent the turbo(s) from delivering anything. But we'll be able to show that because to try it out might dirty the chrome!

Yes Ace exactly. Serially two stage boost works fine, but in parallel it cancels itself out. Shiny happy pipes for no reason!

I still maintain the blower in that setup would prevent the turbo(s) from delivering anything. But we'll be able to show that because to try it out might dirty the chrome!

A Good dual Boost set up that you will sometimes see on the 03-04 Cobra's is made by Hellian. Hellian "Hellraiser" Twin turbo with Supercharger..

hellion1.jpg

A Good dual Boost set up that you will sometimes see on the 03-04 Cobra's is made by Hellian. Hellian "Hellraiser" Twin turbo with Supercharger..

hellion1.jpg

Yup, and the intercooler-cooled compressed air from the turbo compressors blows into the Roots-type supercharger inlet, and the Roots blower compresses it further, raising the boost. Entirely different plumbing from the red Camaro.

Just to clarify for the audience:

Turbocharger compressor inlets are facing the camera. Turbo compressor outlets blow into the intercooler. Compressed, cooled air comes out of the intercooler via the lower-left pipe and blows into the Roots blower (via the EFI throttle body) at the top of the picture. Roots blower is bolted to the intake manifold and blows directly into the engine. B)

How about this beauty. 7 bank,42 cylinder diesel. Some germans use it for tractor pulling,making around 8000hp.

General characteristics
  • Type: 42-cylinder Liquid cooled 7 bank, 6 cylinder per bank diesel radial engine
  • Bore: 160 mm (6.29 in)
  • Stroke: 170 mm (6.69 in)
  • Displacement: 143.6 L (8,763 in³)
  • Length: 3700 mm (145.66 in)
  • Diameter: 1560 mm (61.41 in)
  • Dry weight: 5450 kg (12,015 lb) (dry)
Components Performance

Zvezda M503 (The name)

post-11584-0-23629900-1384472352_thumb.j

OK Greg, I'll bite. What's the deal with the long long radial? It looks like a Pratt & Whitney R4360 Wasp Major (Hughes Hercules "Spruce Goose" engines, among others) but it's twice as long. I give up.

Derived from the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major obviously with a few more cylinder crankcases bolted on. Scroll down to the F2G-1D Super Corsair. http://www.bikeland.org/bridges/Racin-is-Racin-.html1d

LMAO!! I know this guy it isn't just some video I posted on here that I found.. Secondly, your wifes rav 4 weighs a lot more than 3,000 lbs. Listen.. It is a 200R4 Transmission which gives hime 3 great gear ratio's for the 1/4 and an 4th gear which is an overdrive which allows him to cruise at a low RPM.. A stock 4.8 in a full sized chevy Silverado (4,600lb truck) gets 19MPG. The C5 Corvette which is the 5.7L version of this motor (LS1) gets 30 MPG on the highway. If you watch the video he even states he got 28 MPG. If it is soo hard for you to believe read the magazine articles about the car.. Also I will try to get him on here so he can tell you himself ;).. Not sure why it is soo hard to believe it isn't a radical build. Stock bottom end 4.8 L LS motor, with an LS6 Cam (Stock cam for the C6 Corvettes) Texas speed heads ( Worked over LS type design heads), FAST Intake manifold and a Precision 74MM Turbo. 700WHP now a days really isn't eye popping and there are A LOT of cars making that power. Things have progressed sir and this isn't a Carbureted 350 from 1968 with a huge cam, quadra Jet and Tunnel ram that gets horrible gas mileage LOL.. If I were you I would research before I try to call someone a liar ;)

Sorry fella, you should of explained that he drives it off the track at 30mph everywhere in top gear, my bad, no wonder he can squeeze 28mpg out of it. ;)

How about this beauty. 7 bank,42 cylinder diesel. Some germans use it for tractor pulling,making around 8000hp.

General characteristics
  • Type: 42-cylinder Liquid cooled 7 bank, 6 cylinder per bank diesel radial engine
  • Bore: 160 mm (6.29 in)
  • Stroke: 170 mm (6.69 in)
  • Displacement: 143.6 L (8,763 in³)
  • Length: 3700 mm (145.66 in)
  • Diameter: 1560 mm (61.41 in)
  • Dry weight: 5450 kg (12,015 lb) (dry)
Components Performance

Zvezda M503 (The name)

You know what that reminds me of?

diston.jpg

http://oldmachinepress.wordpress.com/2012/10/05/chrysler-a57-multibank-tank-engine/

Ok I understand how a turbo works and an intercooler. On my turbo cars I have never ran a hose from the intercooler to the throttle body. I have always used 3" exhaust pipe with a bead wlded all the around about 1/2 from the end and silicone couplers with t clamps.

Hi Jason

Thanks, now I get it. We found that reinforced silicon hose worked fine up to 16/18 psi (having checked my notes), as long as the clamps were properly tight. I never used any more boost that and I never had any problems with it, although after one full season racing and road use the turbo itself (Garret T03) needed a rebuild!

I did used to get about 25 or more mpg in reasonably gentle open road use, mayb 8 or 10 when racing.

Edited by DonW

Sorry fella, you should of explained that he drives it off the track at 30mph everywhere in top gear, my bad, no wonder he can squeeze 28mpg out of it. ;)

Please type under the quote box next time ;).. 30mph LOL. If you have scrolled down a little past the post you quoted you would have seen the link to the Article about the car in the LSTech and saw that it is mentioned there as well.. I know the guy, cruises normal speeds 60-70 MPH....What a joke, I'm not even going to bother to argue with you anymore as you are clearly clueless :wacko: .

Edited by RadialDragon