Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine sources

So if you are looking for a specific engine you need a list sorted by engine not by kit or by subject.

Surely it is more likely that some one will think "where can I get..." than they'll think "I wonder what engines that kit comes with..."?

Ideally a list would be cross-referenced by engine manufacturer (say, Buick Nailhead, Chrysler early Hemi, etc.), kit manufacturer, scale, and contain lots of info regarding how detailed the engine is. The Monogram Boot Hill Express and AMT '32 Ford kits both include an early Hemi, but I'd never suggest anyone use it for a serious project, so while knowing which kit the engine you seek is found in is a good start, it doesn't tell you how good (or poor) the engine is.

It would take a massive amount if time and effort to categorize and describe/photograph every kit engine, especially if every entry was done to the sane standard (full description of parts, clear, close-up images of parts, optional parts listed, etc.), but would be a hugely valuable resource.

re: the Brisio buit AMBR winning track T - it represents a return (hopefully) to honoring tasteful/not over-the-top show winning hot rods. It's drop dead perfect, and is in so many ways, similar in concept to the Niekamp '29 A that won the very first AMBR event years ago. It's perhaps the finest car that Brizio has ever built, in my opinion. . .

I agree, absolutely positively...and reminiscent of my personal all-time-favorite rod, the Eddie Dye roadster. DyeRoadster02-vi.jpg

And the thing is (sorry...off topic for this thread) the car is simple enough, but still right enough, that a low-buck version inspired by it can realistically be built by a guy in his garage, and driven.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Can I get some volunteers? 2 or 3 should do it... This topic would be so much better if we were able to list them by motor... I'll go through and find all the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury motors listed and put them in order By CI on the first page. If I could get some people for the other manufacturers to group them in a similar manner and post them here or PM them to me I will then Edit the Original Post with all the details

is anyone here familiar with "google docs" ? (they're free to use)

my wife says they are "online" docs (text or spreadsheet files) that one person creates then can add other people to edit or add content.

it could be something kind of like a Wiki where a forum member can administrate it and maybe a link hosted here (somewhere) so that it can be accessed or pointed to whenever these questions arise again.

Edited by blunc

• 2 years later...

More Ford model kits that are worth buying for the engines are:

AMT '69 Cougar, Boss 302 1/25

Here's a look at the engine parts from that kit:

The AMT AMC Pacer Wagon's inline six-cylinder engine, which is decent, but not great IMHO:

• 2 years later...

AMT AMC Matador (the NASCAR/Penske kit, I think) V8:

AMTAMCMatadorV8.jpg

Amt '62 Chevy Bel Air 409 V8:

AMT62BelAir409.jpg

MPC Monkeemobile Pontiac V8:

AMTMonkeemobilePontiacV8.jpg

AMT '66 Buick Riviera V8:

WP_20180417_002.jpg

AMT '61 Ford Ranchero Big Block Chevy V8:

AMT61RancheroBBC.jpg

AMT '70 Monte Carlo 454 (stock) V8:

c21df5cd-be88-4f2e-922a-064d10f5e0f3.jpg

AMT Baldwin-Motion Chevy Camaro 454 V8:

59f2cf14-e523-408d-ae38-05c9c26ea34b.jpg

AMT '70.5 Camaro Z/28 350 V8:

1ccf390f-5934-4852-8542-668ef065d030.jpg

AMT '49 Mercury stock Ford Flathead:

28bc38df-5da0-439d-8d1b-f148f22c5614.jpg

AMT '49 Mercury optional 426 Chrysler "Ramcharger" Big Block V8:

32472912-c943-4e39-b2da-a35b890ea690.jpg

AMT Plymouth Prowler 3.5L V6 and rear mounted transaxle:

1997abfe-b70b-485f-bf26-3df33c406557.jpg

MPC '70 Dodge Coronet Super Bee Pro Street DOHC Hemi V8:

IMG_2132.jpg

Lindberg '64 Plymouth Belvedere Slant Six:

IMG_2125-1.jpg

AMT '50 Chevy  Pickup I6:

WP_20180304_011.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 11/19/2013 at 6:22 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here's some research from one of my long term builds...

The engine I was wanting to use was the Lincoln 368, a Y-block design, which ended production in 1957. A Stroppe-prepared one was in the Mercury Mermaid, and was in large part the inspiration for this build. It seems that in reality, some of the Mermaid engines were sold off in SoCal when the car was parted out. The valve covers are very distinctive, and came on '56 -'57 Continentals. These are the valve covers presented in the double T kits.

MercuryMermaidmillclone.jpg

The T kits have the valve covers right for a Continental Y-block, but the rest of the engines are wrong.

EDIT: I was corrected by rasafyyf (Raymond Glen Campbell) concerning my WRONG assertion that the first-release heads in the double-t kits were FE-looking (as shown in the first 2 photos below). It appears that the kit I had based that statement on, which I'd bought open, had some extra FE-looking heads in it, molded in the same black as the rest of the model. After checking two other releases of the double-T I have on the shelf, it appears that the heads on the early-release "Lincoln" engine are for an MEL.

FORDfe.jpg

And the later release looks like an MEL also, sort of, going by the plug location (which is laid out differently from the FE). The FE has all the plugs located inboard of the exhaust ports, like this.

exhaustsideofhead.jpg

And this is an MEL...different plug arrangement.

FORDMEL430.jpg

If you look at the kit engines, you'll see what I mean. The 368 Y-block Lincoln has the plugs located below the headers, and the wires come in from the bottom, even on the production motors. The exhaust ports are evenly spaced, like the FE and MEL, but centered relative to the valve covers, NOT like the FE and MEL. So the "Lincoln" engine in the T kit is a sort-of MEL , depending on which release you have, but with Y-block Continental valve covers (which won't bolt to a MEL).

If you're still looking for a MEL engine, would the one in the recently rereleased AMT Edsel kit do?

Edited by Richard Bartrop

AMTAMCMatadorV8.jpg

Anyone wanting to do a good Johan AMX/Javelin with the proper V8, this would be a very good start. The engines in the Johan kits are all wrong as they represent the earlier AMC V8, and not the correct 290 version (which would swell to 401 C.I. eventually).

Change the oil pan, headers, and air cleaner and you're good to go.

34 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Anyone wanting to do a good Johan AMX/Javelin with the proper V8, this would be a very good start. The engines in the Johan kits are all wrong as they represent the earlier AMC V8, and not the correct 290 version (which would swell to 401 C.I. eventually).

Change the oil pan, headers, and air cleaner and you're good to go.

I'm surprised anyone would recommend the above engine. The valve covers are kinda-sorta close, but have incorrect indentations, and the generic, perfectly smooth engine block (with a axlerod clearance notch to boot) is downright awful. The cylinder heads are blocky and lacking any real detail, too. 

I will grant you there is no good AMC late V8 engine in any kit, but the AMT Matador engine is pretty crude, and really not something I would recommend to anyone.

Edited by Casey

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

I will grant you there is no good AMC late V8 engine in any kit, but the AMT Matador engine is pretty crude, and really not something I would recommend to anyone.

True, but when that's all there is.............we're model builders and one can take the time to make the corrections if they'd like.

Either that, or try correcting the Johan one. At least this one gives you the distributor in the right place. ;)