Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crazy weather here

Harry P.

Wow... they have just stopped the Bears-Ravens game and ordered all the fans in Soldier Field to leave their seats and get into sheltered areas of the stadium, due to possible tornados on the way. It was on the ground just a few minutes ago just SW of Chicago.

This kind of weather is common here in the spring, but very unusual in mid-November. Crazy...

Tornadoes hit at least two towns about 30 miles SW of Chicago (Washington, Coal City)... extensive damage, and the storm was moving in a straight line directly towards downtown (that's why they ordered Soldier Field to be emptied), but it weakened as it hit Chicago. No tornadoes in the city, just a lot of wind and a LOT of rain.

This sort of thing isn't supposed to happen in November!

"The legend lives on from the chippewa on down of the big lake they call "Gitche Gumee". The Lake, it is said, never gives up her dead when the skies of November turn gloomy"

Gordon Lightfoot

Yes, but if you listen to the entire song, it is also referencing a severe WINTER storm, not tornadoes and warm weather.

Harry, no storms like that here in Arizona. If you don't mind roasting in the summer and a little dust storm once in awhile you might like it here. The monsoons are over rated. Back to Illinois, I still have a sister back there who lives in a little town called Justice. Lots of wind and rain but no tornados. Plus she lives in a mobile home park and we all know how much tonados love mobile homes. Good luck Patty !!! : )

I've been to AZ several times. I'll take hot and dry (AZ) over hot and humid (IL) any day! :D

One of the things I remember, weatherwise, was one evening while I was staying at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix, probably around 10 PM or so... it was hot, dry, and not a cloud in the sky that I could see... but in the distance you could see lightning going off constantly. No thunder, no rain, no wind... just lightning. Weird. I had never seen lightning without thunder or rain before!

I've been to AZ several times. I'll take hot and dry (AZ) over hot and humid (IL) any day! :D

One of the things I remember, weatherwise, was one evening while I was staying at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix, probably around 10 PM or so... it was hot, dry, and not a cloud in the sky that I could see... but in the distance you could see lightning going off constantly. No thunder, no rain, no wind... just lightning. Weird. I had never seen lightning without thunder or rain before!

I like this time of the year...the Biltmore is in my 'hood, about a mile from my house...some nice restaurants there...nice green part of the city w/ lots of vegetation, not so deserty looking.

Winters here are great..it's the temps from May-Oct that I hate...and the dust.

Edited by Rob Hall