Model Cars Magazine Forum

GTI (I hope)

~Mark~

This is my second attempt at building a car.

I've done a few ships in 350, but a while ago I found my Honda Fit in 24th, and I don't think it came out all that bad. At least it looks somewhat like what I have in the garage. Now I'm hooked. I picked up a GTI kit, and a 56 Nomad, and with a literal flip of a coin I'm working on the GTI.

I'm a few days in, and here's a few pictures of my progress.

20140104_151503_zpsaccc3312.jpg

I'm real happy with the dash!

20140104_153736_zps5b56d40f.jpg

I'm using Tamiya paints, and am happy with the semi gloss black for the leather. Now I have to do a little downsizing to my pictures.

Please if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a question. What could I use to do the ultra fine details on the radio buttons. I have nothing that goes that fine, but I've seen some amazing things here and am willing to give anything a try.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a question. What could I use to do the ultra fine details on the radio buttons. I have nothing that goes that fine, but I've seen some amazing things here and am willing to give anything a try.

I myself use the micro drills (that you would put in a pin vise) to put the details on small areas......they work great at applying paint because they are soooo small.

Keep up the great work you are doing!!

Edited by Kennyboy

This morning I've gotten a lot done. (Prep work seriously paying off)

I got the rest of the trim tied down, and the front headlights in. The grills and fog lights are also looking good. I painted the inside of the fog lights chrome silver, because they didn't even show up with a black background.

20140105_110814_zps39c5a317.jpg

They'd look a lot better with fiber optics, but not this build.

Next I started assembling the suspension. I'm very happy with the details, but even more happy with the fit. Not a single fit problem at all, not a one.

20140105_124545_zps9858ad20.jpg

So looking at the closeup I know I need to do some dusting. LOL What could I use to clean the mold line off the tires? The knife just didn't do it.

Here's a picture of some of the suspension details that kind of get lost.

Sus1_zps834b9226.jpg

I'm not that great with the small brushes, but I'm OK with these results.

20140105_124530_zpsd2e3a08c.jpg

I did a little oil wash on the rims. I think I'm done building ships for a while, I'm having a blast with these cars.

Thanks for watching, and I'm going to see what I can do using a drill bit for detail work. Thanks for the tip.

Man, that is looking fantastic. Your detail work is top notch.

BTW- got any photos of the box top. I'm interested in what kit this is.

Later-

Here's the box art

GTI_zps2b499c2e.jpg

Again I have to thank everyone for the kind words. No work on the kit tonight, I was outside in the cold today at work, and I'm going to just kick back.

I've seen the all black leather, and the red pipping. I'm not confident enough to attempt the pipping, but I think it looks very cool.

Here's the box art

GTI_zps2b499c2e.jpg

Again I have to thank everyone for the kind words. No work on the kit tonight, I was outside in the cold today at work, and I'm going to just kick back.

I've seen the all black leather, and the red pipping. I'm not confident enough to attempt the pipping, but I think it looks very cool.

Cool kit.........the piping can be accomplished with a hypodermic needle with the appropriate paint in it. :)