Model Cars Magazine Forum

K123 + Fruehauf trailer OOB, first-time rig builder...

Well, apart from an AMT/Matchbox Papa Truck and an ERTL Mack R as a kid, first time rig!

Something sorta resembling an in-progress thread here;

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70642#entry1091015

Anyway, while I know there are plenty of mistakes I am really happy with how it turned out.

Most of all I enjoyed the challenge, and I love the finished result.

However, I'm open to constructive critisim (I'm normally a 1/72 aircraft, 1/700 ship and 1/25 car guy) and would like some pointers. I know that the exhaust stacks look out of line in some of the pics, as are one of the tanks and the cab looks slightly tilted sometimes, especially if I don't squeeze the interior back up every time I tilt the cab. (Somehow it's still slightly loose inside!). The exhaust does not meet the turbo (need to have mounted it lower down I think). The driver grab rails are on upside down. Oh well. I have no idea what I was supposed to do with all the licence plates. I know that more than one should be on but don't know which one is the actual truck plate and what I'm supposed to put on the trailer. I was going for the owner/operator look rather than the fleet scheme that came with the kit. So should I have bothered to put the numbering decals on the cab doors?

Anyway, let me know what you all think please! And what's a good kit for a Pete or KW conventional? I'm looking for something with a decent size sleeper and not any more trouble to build as this, but can look as good as this K123.

KenworthK123008_zps2061f640.jpg

KenworthK123024_zps20f12558.jpg

KenworthK123023_zps6f41f7d0.jpg

KenworthK123028_zps234cb421.jpg

KenworthK123027_zps4dab00be.jpg

KenworthK123025_zpse900fe39.jpg

Excellent work, Buddy....This is a very good build.....You've done a great job on both truck and trailer.....I really like the paint job on the rig, especially.....Very nice....Don't know why I don't have one of these, yet...

And the Monogram KW W900 would be a great to build, if you're wanting something relatively moderate in difficulty....They're cheap and build up pretty nice.....You can find them at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, on line, or even at Walmart for about $20.....They have a Pete 359, as well....It's basically a snap kit, but has a fairly decent parts count....You'll fall in love with them as we all have.....You just can't beat the price for what you get....

Edited by kilrathy10

That's one sweet looking KW. You did a fine job. As to the plates, yes, back in the 1970s you needed a plate for every state you ran through.

I agree with JT on the Revell-Monogram kits: they're inexpensive, well detailed for a snap kit, & easy to build. There are a couple of downsides though. The tires are not very good, and if you want to make then a daycab the sleepers are molded with the cabs. There is also no brake details.

Well, apart from an AMT/Matchbox Papa Truck and an ERTL Mack R as a kid, first time rig!

Something sorta resembling an in-progress thread here;

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70642#entry1091015

Anyway, while I know there are plenty of mistakes I am really happy with how it turned out.

Most of all I enjoyed the challenge, and I love the finished result.

However, I'm open to constructive critisim (I'm normally a 1/72 aircraft, 1/700 ship and 1/25 car guy) and would like some pointers. I know that the exhaust stacks look out of line in some of the pics, as are one of the tanks and the cab looks slightly tilted sometimes, especially if I don't squeeze the interior back up every time I tilt the cab. (Somehow it's still slightly loose inside!). The exhaust does not meet the turbo (need to have mounted it lower down I think). The driver grab rails are on upside down. Oh well. I have no idea what I was supposed to do with all the licence plates. I know that more than one should be on but don't know which one is the actual truck plate and what I'm supposed to put on the trailer. I was going for the owner/operator look rather than the fleet scheme that came with the kit. So should I have bothered to put the numbering decals on the cab doors?

Anyway, let me know what you all think please! And what's a good kit for a Pete or KW conventional? I'm looking for something with a decent size sleeper and not any more trouble to build as this, but can look as good as this K123.

KenworthK123008_zps2061f640.jpg

KenworthK123024_zps20f12558.jpg

KenworthK123023_zps6f41f7d0.jpg

KenworthK123028_zps234cb421.jpg

KenworthK123027_zps4dab00be.jpg

KenworthK123025_zpse900fe39.jpg

Very nice KW, Roy! It has got the 70's look of the independent truckers - great looking paint scheme.

For a classic Peterbilt 359 I would also recommend the Revell snap kit. It looks good and has a very nice CAT engine.

I built mine in the late 80's (first issue) - the multicolored stripes, Melton logos and mud flap decals came with the original kit.

Unfortunately they are gone!

The kit came molded in red, frame and axles were black, so I simply clearcoated cab/hood/sleeper and added the headache rack from amt's Alaskan hauler KW in an attempt to partially hide the snap tongues on the back of the sleeper.

Anyway, highly recommended (this is how mine looks):

post-11195-0-47764200-1389728471_thumb.j

post-11195-0-16858900-1389728538_thumb.j

post-11195-0-75269400-1389728611_thumb.j

Hi folks,

many thanks for the nice comments, it means a lot to me when it's coming from you guys, after seeing all the fab work on here.

I see a lot of recommendations for the Revell snap kit for a Peterbilt 359. Plenty on ebay, but when I factor in the cost of shipping it puts it above the price bracket of the AMT rigs in the local model shop. I also don't think I can get replacement tyres for the rear, I have a feeling the kit ones will bug me after a while.

II don't see that AMT have re-released their Pete conventional yet, but Revell Germany has a 359 kit out, and while it is priced higher than the AMT kits is of the style I want. It also has a bigger sleeper cab, which is also more in the line of what I'm looking for. Can anyone advise on the good/bad of this kit? It's this one;

http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=210&KGKANR=0&KGKOGP=10&KGSCHL=63&L=1&page=1&sort=0&nc=&searchactive=&q=&SWO=&ARMAS4=&PHPSESSID=2cbce3840a5c9023e5b5afb1a0ae0148&KZSLPG=&offset=5&cmd=show&ARARTN=07412&sp=1

or here;

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=178036

Basically I need to know if it's a dog or a decent kit.

The LHS has the AMT International 4300 Eagle, the White Road Boss and the Chevy Titan. The first two are conventionals that may be an option depending on your opinions of them. let me know!!!

(I'm hoping that AMT will in time re-release their full truck back catalogue. Would love a Mack R again and a Cruiseliner, as well as the Kenworth conventional "Movin'on", Pete 359 and the Papa Truck.)

your build looks great, love the paint choice.

I just finished the kit you have listed above, I thought it was a great kit, only issues [as mentioned in my build thread by others] were the hood hinges, and the door hinges, but no big deal. it builds up nice.

photo_zps051c1f3a.jpg

Edited by tbill

Dude, have you tried plastic-models.com.....Tower hobbies runs specials on free shipping a lot....They have one out, now for purchases over $25.....Just go there and look....They have the best prices on models that I have seen....And with free shipping, it's even better....And get on their e-mail list....You'll be buying a LOT of stuff, I guarantee it....

And, although the Revell kit you've posted is a decent kit, it's not as good as an Italeri kit, or even their W900 kit is better than that one....(The Glue kit not the Snap).....I'd go after that, as they're the same price....Tower Hobbies has them.....(plastic-models.com) As a matter of fact, right now, the special is "$10 instant gift certificate for $50 or more purchase" That's shipping and some.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Hi Kilrathy,

Thanks for that. However, I'm in Ireland! Shipping is the same as the kit!

Found the Revell glue Pete 359 in the LHS today, 60 euro... ouch! Came home with the AMT/ERTL International 4300 Eagle for 30 Euro.. Not sure I made the right decision though. We have a model club meet there next Saturday so I may take it back and change it for the glue pete or KW (they have both). Although for 60 notes I might as well plump for the Prostar kit. That looks like it's worth 60.