Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets see your inspirational items in the hobby room

Hi guys well here is something fun just wanted to see what kind of inspiration items lurk on you walls and shelves .I mean the item that keep you going wither its models built from the pasted, old pictures of sorts or anything related to the hobby in general.

My inspiration is not found so much in my model room, or in my case, the whole house, as it is in the way the model subjects are presented to me. That's clear as mud, so allow me to elaborate. In the early years of modeling the boxes were displayed with artwork that had the mind going long before the box was even opened. Some of my favorite car boxes were the 1962 AMT "car show" series with the pink convertible on the cover. It didn't hurt that they had multiple building options. For the trucks, it was once again the early AMT big rigs showing the trucks in action and stiriing dreams of the open road. In the 1990s Monogram scored some huge hits when the introduced a series of Chevrolets with large boxes and cars placed in beautiful settings. I'm going to be a lot more inspired to build a model from a "fun" package with attention arousing artwork than on from a plain box with a model displayed that wasn't even completed.

Much of my other inspiration comes from web sites such as Tim Ahlborns, Hank's Truck Pictures, and the AITM gallery, and from viewing great photos found on forums such as this one. My main concern isn't so much what inspires me, but what am I doing to inspire others. What can I do more to encourage others? I'm by no means a great modeler, but I have learned some tricks and ideas along the way, and I feel obligated to pass those on to others. As these modelers, and many others, have developed their own web sites to encourage and inform, I felt it prudent to do the same plus providing a group on a social network for tow truck modelers.

I would have to say that my biggest inspiration is watching new modelers develop their skills; reliving my skill developing years through them, and watching them discover new concepts and ideas. I have been quite fortunate to watch several modelers progress from brush painted bodies and glue on the glass to award winning miniaturists. They were quite shy about displaying photos of their early works, but it was beautiful to share their progression with them, and those of us who gave to them along the way received ten fold in return.

George, I know that you started this in fun, and that I'm digging way to deep, but when I look at my models, I see you and every other modeler that shared wisdom and knowledge and helped me build my skills. I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but it gave me a chance to thank everybody for all the help that you've given me to increase my skills.

Interesting topic, as I was just telling my wife last night I have lost ALL of my motivation. I don't know why either. It seems to come and go for some reason. I just recently ordered some models on line, and I'm hoping that when they arrive it'll all come back.

But to get back on topic, I generally use older build up's, on line photos, and he builds of my fellow modelers, when things are going good .

This is an image I have framed in my shop of my dad at our kitchen table building what looks to be an AMT 37 Ford sedan in winter, 1961 (Milwaukee WI). That's mom and I keeping an eye on him. Dad passed 10 years ago this month, but he has served as my inspiration for all things car related. He began working as a painter at American Motors in Kenosha, right out of high school, then became an auto body repairman for the remainder of his working life. Along the way he managed to acquire, restore or hot rod numerous old cars. The last of which is the 40 dodge pick up you see in my Avatar, which I still have.

Modelling-with-Dad_zpseca1df9f.jpg

Edited by Watertown

I have to agree with Jesse, my unbuilt collection and cars built in my model room keep me inspired. I also have pictures of my kids and grandchildren on shelves. if I am feeling down if I com in my model room I always feel better...

Great picture Mike of your dad building...

Daddyfink, do you have the same problem, I do? When you finish a build, do you stand / sit, in front of your vast collection, for a couple hours, trying to figure out, what to build next?

Yes, yes I do. And the worse part, I go out and buy something to else to build!

This is an image I have framed in my shop of my dad at our kitchen table building what looks to be an AMT 37 Ford sedan in winter, 1961 (Milwaukee WI). That's mom and I keeping an eye on him. Dad passed 10 years ago this month, but he has served as my inspiration for all things car related. He began working as a painter at American Motors in Kenosha, right out of high school, then became an auto body repairman for the remainder of his working life. Along the way he managed to acquire, restore or hot rod numerous old cars. The last of which is the 40 dodge pick up you see in my Avatar, which I still have.

Modelling-with-Dad_zpseca1df9f.jpg

This was nice. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, you do have EXACTLY the same problem I do. LOL

same here. I only have maybe 70 un-built kits..a very small number compared to many of my modeling friends. But I always find myself buying something. Usually something gets stuck in my head and I'm off looking for it on ebay. But then by the time it arrives my head has moved onto starting something else in my stash, and I end up stacking it.

same here. I only have maybe 70 un-built kits..a very small number compared to many of my modeling friends. But I always find myself buying something. Usually something gets stuck in my head and I'm off looking for it on ebay. But then by the time it arrives my head has moved onto starting something else in my stash, and I end up stacking it.

I have finally found my long lost twin (at least in spirit ) :lol: