Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Teardrop Trailer/Camper

Brad... Super Impressive my friend. Man I love this build. I am not sure what my favorite part is of this build now.... I love the propane tank but then I love the Rod and Reel along with the basket. You are always so creative with the little small things that just add a ton of life to your build. I admire your craftsmanship. Awesome work and I can't wait to see this in person in about a week and half.

Chris - thanks lil' brother. I hope to have this completed by DSC but either way, it will be on a table.

Bruce - thanks for looking in. I promise I'll be careful putting it away. LOL

Jim - somehow I should have known you flyfish as well. It is a small world.

Danno - thanks for following along.

Sam - I knew as I had plans to build this, it was going to need a flyfishing rod plus some accessories. A few more to go. Glad it brought back fond memories for you.

John - thanks so much for riding along. It will be tight to get this done for DSC X - I'm hoping so.

Currently working out the mechanics for a piano hinge for the rear hatch that exposes the galley portion. Looks like I need to go to the LHS tomorrow for a few more parts.

Brad…….good luck!!!!……..hope you can finish it for the show……..hoping to see it

Thanks for the kudos guys. I've been really busy and now this build has gotten a bit out of hand. This has gone from a build to a diorama scene but I just couldn't do without all of the side pieces. It makes this build more interesting. So to that end, I fabricated a vintage camping chair and a table out of basswood and piano wire. Then stained them and gave them a bit of weathering. Cut down an enamaled dollhouse metal plate that was too large. Its red and matches the red on the trailer. Also fabricated a fishing net and am stuck on attaching the mesh material. I found a cloth tea bag that the mesh looks right but getting a pocket in the material has been a challenge.

As you can see, the top is on and the hinge is all set up. It took four times to get the top to hold and it took some rivets to get it to hold. Added a vent cap. The flip up 'hood' that goes over the galley portion has been made and painted. I made a license plate holder with a center tail light that goes in the middle of the 'hood.' Been working on a two burner cooktop and a deep dish pan as well as a coffee pot. Still working on those. Also added some travel decals inside one of the doors. While studying the set-up last night, I felt like something was severely missing from the trailer and it finally dawned on me that it needs a red graphic on the sides. That has been designed and will be sent off to the printer tonight for a rush job. I hope he can pull it off.

Anyway, enough of the blah, blah, blah...here's a picture.

Campsite1_zpse2af7b0e.jpg

Thanks for following along and comments, as always, welcome. I'm really on a time crunch because DSC is Saturday.

Edited by gasser59

Also added some travel decals inside one of the doors.

Brad, I was all set to print out a slew of travel stickers (go to eBay, tons of real ones for sale - perfect images) but my printer was broken. In the meantime I got the Revell 49 Mercury Woody wagon and found it has some super travel decals in it. So I never printed mine!

Man - that looks great Sam. I had to look twice and am still not sure its a scale creation.

Tom - I have a bunch of water slide decals that I just scanned. I'm going to do my best to get them printed and on the door by Saturday. Too bad my printer is in Alabama. :D

Thanks brother John. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend at DSC - X.

I'm stoked about the bedspread too. Thanks for checking Bruce.

Charlie - here's a pic of the product I used. I found it at Michael's. They also make a thinner material but Michael's didn't have it on the shelf when i was there. I'm honored you'd consider a trip out west and want to see my builds. Thanks.

InkjetFabric_zps6fe9ed8b.jpg

Still a bit to do, mostly the small detail items that'll really make this tell a story. Thanks for following along.

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the comments Manuel. This has been a fun build and I'll probably set it up on a base with some bushes, trees and grasses eventually rather than all of these loose pieces. That will also keep me from robbing them for other builds. LOL

I'll set it all up either tonight or in the morning and post a couple of pictures now that it will be done.

Danno - parks pass? Of course, I have the senior parks pass.

Chris - thanks brother. Tomorrow is almost here and I'm almost done. Here's a few pics.

TableChair1-vi.jpg

Here's a close up of the galley. I'd still like to add more small items.

Galley2-vi.jpg

I made a set of chocks for the wheels and chained them together.

Chocks_zps7ee82035.jpg

I'll post a few more pictures later.

Edited by gasser59