Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Plymouth Road Runner Restoration

RandyB.

Okay...this is more of a refresh or upgrade than a restoration. Very simple refresh by adding BMF and some white lettered tire decals and a light polishing. Colour is Daytona Yellow which is coming out too bright of yellow against the snow...should be more pale in colour. This looks like a taxi cab shade of yellow. The before pics were shot under artificial light so they came out lighter. Would have liked to have done this one in factory colour "Sunfire Yellow" but I didn't know about MCW paints until long after this build was completed.

Before

AMT1968PlymouthRoadRunnerf_zps6154d67b.j

After

AMT1968PlymouthRoadRunner9_zps93c13b13.j

Before

AMT1968PlymouthRoadRunner_zps9aa7a367.jp

After

AMT1968PlymouthRoadRunner9a_zps839e27cf.

Edited by RandyB.

Very nice . . . even as a taxi! :P

And why not ? Lord knows that the interior / upholstery materials and colours were , in es , Taxi *quality* (rubber mats , plain seats and door panels , etc.) . Personally , I rather enjoy that plain interior to the upgrade(d) Satellite / GTX appointments :D

Very nice . . . even as a taxi! :P

You can justify the color: Claim the fender tag paint code is 999

Chrysler would paint your new car a competitors color under this option. I've seen a `69 Barracuda painted Omaha Orange (Ford color) from the factory. Whereas the code would denote color (for example my car is LL1, Turquoise) these special order cars were all 999. So, there you go!

Color is fine, and it looks really nice. And isn't that what matters? B)

Thanks guys for all of the great comments. As I said previously, the model in actuality is a lighter shade of yellow. Looks quite bright in the posted pics. For some reason Daytona Yellow comes out looking like a deeper bright yellow when shot with very white surroundings.

Looks terrific! I like the tail lights. How did you make them look realistic? The kit parts are junk as supplied.

I'm very partial to yellow '68s as my very first car was a yellow '68 road runner. The taxi reference reminds me of the time I drove my car in to Manhattan (1972). I swear that every time I stopped at a traffic light someone came over to the car and grabbed the door handle! Later that week I had a black vinyl top installed! True story!

IMG_0054-vi.jpg

IMG_0050-vi.jpg

WF

Edited by 6bblbird

Looks terrific! I like the tail lights. How did you make them look realistic? The kit parts are junk as supplied.

I'm very partial to yellow '68s as my very first car was a yellow '68 road runner. The taxi reference reminds me of the time I drove my car in to Manhattan (1972). I swear that every time I stopped at a traffic light someone came over to the car and grabbed the door handle! Later that week I had a black vinyl top installed! True story!

IMG_0054-vi.jpg

IMG_0050-vi.jpg

WF

So , how'd you do on Crossbay and Connecting ? :)

great build, and one of my favorite cars. I too ma curious about the tail lights, the ones in the kit are incorrect. I know missing link sells corrected ones. are these from there or are they Keith Marks decals. either way, they look great.

great build, and one of my favorite cars. I too ma curious about the tail lights, the ones in the kit are incorrect. I know missing link sells corrected ones. are these from there or are they Keith Marks decals. either way, they look great.

Thanks guys. Tubbs...the taillights were the Keith Marks decals.

So , how'd you do on Crossbay and Connecting ? :)

Don't forget Fountain Ave ! I almost got more than a ticket there late one night in `77…. :lol:

My friend has the same problem with his Town Car. Has to drive through certain areas with the doors locked…..

Edited by FASTBACK340

Don't forget Fountain Ave ! I almost got more than a ticket there late one night in `77…. :lol:

My friend has the same problem with his Town Car. Has to drive through certain areas with the doors locked…..

Fountain Avenue! That was a scary place! Saw many races on the Conduit but spent most nights at 231, Seaford-Oyster Bay, 109 by the airport. Bethpage Burger King!