Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

245Medium_zps7408f0f3.jpg

In order to escape (for a while) the nerve-wracking detail, I needed some incentive and a look at where I'm going with this. So the engine got placed in the chassis. It is only placed, resting atop the rails. When installed, it will be 5mm aft and 5mm lower and a lot of things get connected.

The photos are intentionally altered for exposure so you can see better-it's like a life raft in a phone booth to photo-it's that big in my tiny room.

Tell me what you think:

246Medium_zpse46bccd7.jpg

247Medium_zpsc2e05472.jpg

248Medium_zpse21e42b9.jpg

Cato....what can I say? I took a vacation day today to do some things around the house. In between chores I checked in on the board and came across this thread. Why haven't I seen this before? WTH? So I start at page one and have read every word of every post up to page 10. Geez, this thing is simply amazing! I have to take another break but I can't wait to dive in on page 11.

Cato....what can I say? I took a vacation day today to do some things around the house. In between chores I checked in on the board and came across this thread. Why haven't I seen this before? WTH? So I start at page one and have read every word of every post up to page 10. Geez, this thing is simply amazing! I have to take another break but I can't wait to dive in on page 11.

I'm glad I was an escape from your chores John. :D

Welcome aboard, there's more to come-like a year and a half maybe............................. :wacko:

These are the smallest linkage parts which I just made. They connect by rods with the distributor for advance and starting. They are as similar to 1:1 as I could get them. They are crudely made by hand as I don't have machine tools.

They consist of 18 parts; 00-90 nuts, pins, styrene rod and .020 credit card.

If I can snake them into place, I'll make the 3 control rods to connect to them, where the nubs of the pins protrude. I'll also have to make a distributor lever for one rod.. They will all be black and virtually lost under a lot of stuff. :wacko:

250Medium_zps7ef60e32.jpg

249Medium_zpsf9e6f67e.jpg

Excellent work, I like the weathering.........no! I love the whole built. Comparing it to my projects, I put all my ten thumbs up and will stayed tuned. Thank you for sharing it.

Thank for your support Michael and Mark! Plenty more to go yet..........

Beautiful work. The distributor linkage is very impressive. BTW... did you use those plans I sent you as a reference for that assembly?

This model is going to be a real showpiece when done. I see a future magazine cover feature, no doubt.

Yes Harry-Haddocks drawings. I think I just 'finished' the engine tonight; I'm looking at (more) detailed carb linkage but might have to stop here.

But be advised; I only 'represented' his work (although cutting parts to his dimensions), using lesser materials. I have no lathe or bandsaw to cut .020 brass sheet in those intricate shapes. I can't even handle the 1mm parts and dimensions he calls out. The shakes set in after a while when you've dropped the same 1mm x 1 1/2mm part 5 times while gluing. And I certainly can't handle 000-120 hardware or their wrenches. As is, 00-90's (a lot of them) gave me fits. Plus my vision is going to junk.

So far I've gotten more than my moneys-worth in satisfaction, even though I spent 'too much'.

I did the best I could and it's making me happy. I'm starting to feel that I got up to a new level for me.

Just got a thousand miles to go to get to Comp's and Mark's levels......... :blink:

PS-I'm honored about the magazine invite-if I don't screw the rest of the build, we'll talk about it. That's if it's still being published next century when I finish....... :unsure:

John, Jason and Tim,

Thanks so much for the kind words and support. It's very appreciated.

Jason-I actually entertained that idea as I got deeper into the work. But I am a a slow worker and this one still has a long way to go while I figure things out. I agree, I could do another more quickly-provided I wanted to endure the torture (for me) of fabricating and fiddling with tiny parts. Plus correcting all the normal Pocher roadblocks. Then there will be the construction of a glass display case after all this torture.

But since this one has decimated my retirement account, it will have to be the last 'bucket' on my bucket list...... :wacko:

Engine done...
After 361 hours in 4 months, I'm calling it done. Decided not to press my luck. Thanks to some generous references supplied by Skip, Harry and several Pocher modelers, the tiny carburetor links I did not do would be of little visual profit. They would barely be visible in my open hood model. Most of what I already did is barely visible under layers of detail. In fact, I had to take it outdoors to get adequate light to capture some of it.

A few last minute washes to tone down and even the bright solder, tubes, pins, rods and links.

You be the judge...

254Medium_zps887f9d49.jpg

253Medium_zps5290358d.jpg

258Medium_zps64854da5.jpg

255Medium_zps8885ae4f.jpg

257Medium_zpsd81fbb94.jpg

I've also been following this on another forum, and both here and there I will say I'm speechless. I've looked at all the stuff at modelmotorcars.com and spent years looking at all kinds of engine builds, and I don't know of another one that matches this for realism and accurate detail.

A tip---if you're like me...

Having just completed 4 months work on the engine, it's time to move to the next assembly; in this case the firewall. So the engine will be untouched for a while...

Because I don't want to have to do repairs or worse...:<((, I get my finished stuff out of harms way; because if you're like me...s*** happens.

So here's a no-fuss stand to store a Rolls engine. Some basswood, plastic tube, brass rod and epoxy is all it takes. Nothing fancy. Some of you do furniture-grade stands for your models but this is utilitarian.

I purposely had left the exhaust manifold loose for ease of fitment into the chassis. Valve cover, oil filler and fan too.

So I made a leg with 2 brass rods that fit into the engine mounts on the port side. The 3 exhaust ports are home to 3 styrene tubes on the other leg. Some careful measuring and cutting is all it takes. Nothing delicate on the engine is touching any surface.

Now the lump lays comfortably on it's side and will go into a (large) shoebox sized plastic bin with snap on top. A bit of soft foam packing on the sides and it's dust, cat, child and bombproof. :)

260Medium_zpscea36a1d.jpg

261Medium_zps238cda24.jpg

262Medium_zps2d07e969.jpg

263Medium_zps5c0409cb.jpg

Edited by Cato

That engine, to put it in simple terms, is freakin' awesome.

And don't feel bad for one second about not adding all of the details laid out in those superdetailing sheets I sent you. I started to, realized very quickly that even a RR expert would miss most of them, and I didn't have the time or patience to add them all... and decided to go with a sane level of detail. Otherwise, one Pocher RR could easily become one's life's work! :lol:

It's a pity that so few of our forum members take a look at the Big Boyz forum (or even know that it exists). "Pocher Rolls Sedanca" is not a big draw, and they don't know what they can learn here.

You're absolutely correct. To be scared away because of cost is understandable, but to not live and learn from a build like this is a crime against the hobby of modelling.

It's like art without the audience ...

That said, thank you Cato and MCM for the show!