Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

I wonder if transparent blue and green might work, followed by a wash of thinned white or some kind of pearlescent finish. As those jugs are more translucent than transparent, it might look better, as they're not crystal clear.

Charlie Larkin

I tried this method recently, and I am still on the fence about this method.... First, paint the tank green to the level that you want the coolant. Then paint the whole resevoir with a thin white primer such as Tamiya brand, or duplicolor. The primer will let the green show through making a transparent effect.

See what you think,

Mark

For those doing Replica stock or a "showroom fresh" build, the OEM coolant is actually a goldish-yellow color, rather than the old style green. Tamiya transparent yellow would be a better choice if you're going that route.

For those doing Replica stock or a "showroom fresh" build, the OEM coolant is actually a goldish-yellow color, rather than the old style green. Tamiya transparent yellow would be a better choice if you're going that route.

The reservoirs are molded in light gray

Edited by martinfan5

I see what you're talking about. Looks like it's one piece with the washer reservoir and the secondary battery. That might take some creative painting to make it look right. Perhaps white basecoat, followed with washer fluid/coolant colors, the overcoated with a semi transparent clear-ish color, almost more of a frosted look. Something to note, the 1:1 coolant reservoirs tend to "yellow" over time, as the pic that Gregg posted shows. The trick is going to be replicating that look, I really am not sure that a pearl paint will accomplish that convincingly. If I can get the time to experiment, I might see what I can come up with. I'll post any results I get.

I see what you're talking about. Looks like it's one piece with the washer reservoir and the secondary battery. That might take some creative painting to make it look right. Perhaps white basecoat, followed with washer fluid/coolant colors, the overcoated with a semi transparent clear-ish color, almost more of a frosted look. Something to note, the 1:1 coolant reservoirs tend to "yellow" over time, as the pic that Gregg posted shows. The trick is going to be replicating that look, I really am not sure that a pearl paint will accomplish that convincingly. If I can get the time to experiment, I might see what I can come up with. I'll post any results I get.

Bill, I am thinking that I am going to separate the battery from the reservoirs , but as for what colors, I have no idea

I did a chrome test , place a piece a Tamiya tape on one of the running boards , not sure why I didn't put it on the tree, but anyways, as you can see, it pulled up a very small piece of chrome

IMG_2857_zpsd4c33063.jpg

Hopefully, this will be corrected in subsequent runs.

In the meantime, looks like GlossCote is your friend, or the Krylon acrylic Crystal Coat.

Charlie Larkin

I ended up using Tamiya Buff, and it's okay, for now, for the reservoirs. Fitment of the tubings, pipes, etc. is a bit close, but once it's all together, it should be fine.

post-3-0-75036800-1397202678_thumb.jpg

MENG has been in touch with me about the chrome issue, we will see what they say about it soon.

post-3-0-55898900-1397210191_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-90637400-1397210192_thumb.jpg

If I was to lift up the model by the cab right now, everything would probably succumb to mean ol' Mr. Gravity in a loud way.

Get it?

It's all test fitted right now, with just dabs of white glue here and there.

Geez, a guy uses a little bit of white glue and he gets ridiculed for life...

And yes, the right side battery is not put in correctly.

I got a reply from Meng on the chrome, they are going to send me replacement chrome parts tree's if I so desire , I was asked to check the second kit to see how the chrome is , I would post the email but I deleted it from my phone by accident , and when doing that, it deletes like it was never there.