Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

Well I just bought my first kit of this model from The Model Cave in Ypsilanti, Michigan, yesterday.

In addition to everything else that's been said above about this kit, I was highly impressed with the presentation of the kit (the box art and especially the sleeve that fits over it), as well as the instruction sheet and the color printing on the last several pages (reminiscent of Moebius' best work here).

Prior to any assembly (which is a highly important qualifier), my conclusion so far is that this is a highly impressive first 1/24th scale automotive kit from Meng. It does make me wonder what they will do as a follow-up automotive topic, and it really does raise the bar for the domestic manufacturers in terms of asserting "first to market' positioning for other automotive kit topics that have remained unkitted in recent years.

TIM

LHS had this kit for $76.00 what was the cost on yours, Jonathan from online source that you bought yours from? That Price feels a little HIGH to me.

Gabriel, here is a US seller that has for $4 more then where I bought mine from, but the shipping is a lot cheaper

http://www.diecastalley.com/meng-models-1-24-ford-f350-super-duty-crew-cab-pick-up-truck-kit/

One can test it best, by putting and pulling masking tape off the sprue, instead of the parts themselves.

Of course

Ah...for detailing the black parts..will have to keep that in mind.

Yes, I got lucky on the first one, and did not pull up any chrome on the rear bumper, or the front bumper, but there is some good news, Meng will happily send out new chrome trees if you have issue's

The weak chrome might be a benifit in one regard- past experience when it peels off that easily it usually doesn't stand a chance against your favorite chrome-stripping solvent of choice, and if you wanted to downgrade this from an XLT to an XL that chrome would need to go away anyhow...

The weak chrome might be a benifit in one regard- past experience when it peels off that easily it usually doesn't stand a chance against your favorite chrome-stripping solvent of choice, and if you wanted to downgrade this from an XLT to an XL that chrome would need to go away anyhow...

Good way to look at it ;)

Well, I do tend to be a "lemonade from lemons" kind of guy. :D

Gee, Instead of pi55ing and moaning and whining and trashing a manufacturer and trash-talking anybody who disagrees with you? :o

How do you ever have any fun? ^_^

Gee, Instead of pi55ing and moaning and whining and trashing a manufacturer and trash-talking anybody who disagrees with you? :o

How do you ever have any fun? ^_^

Well.... I don't think it's my place to do any kind of bashing on an otherwise impressive kit just because the first run has iffy chrome plating, unless you're talking kitbashing. I'd rather just work around that. :D

I was thinking Future to keep the chrome stuff chromed

I might try that too- the Krylon will fog some chrome plating (that's why you always test it out first), Future won't, but the Krylon dries quite a bit faster.

I might try that too- the Krylon will fog some chrome plating (that's why you always test it out first), Future won't, but the Krylon dries quite a bit faster.

I was lucky and did not have any issues with peeling up any chrome on the bumpers, of course, always have to test first, overall, its still a really nice kit, and Meng did a great job overall with it , so much looking forward to building the second one I have and buying more :)