Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

Well considering Mr. Plowboy has been active across this forum for the past several days since posting his claims, I'm going to now have to presume there is in fact no problem with this kit to the nature which he alleges there to be.

I am going to have to agree with you, makes you wonder does he in fact even have the kit :o

Seems as if we will never know what this big issue is. I'm just going to say someone said something and didn't want to eat their words so they just decided to shut us out of it. If anyone else finds this issue please feel free to help the community and share, it does no good to keep it to yourself.

We don't have to get nasty about it. If the pics he's shown of other projects are legit, he's done some very fine work on older kits. Obviously decided he's not into newer subjects but hiding doesn't enhance credibility...

mike

Well, it's not so much that he doesn't like the kit or is displeased with it, after all, he is entitled to his opinion. It's more the fact that he made a big to-do that there was some sort of major flaw with the kit that no one else seems to have found, but yet he won't say what it is.

It doesn't really matter to me if he wants to trade it, not build it, or blow it up with firecrackers, that's his rights to do so if he wishes. However, I wouldn't mind knowing what the "major flaw" is before I spend any money on one (I have one on order at Big 4 in Indy).

I guess I can see that. But from where I sit I don't see any major flaw with this kit- or even any real series of minor flaws that add up to me not wanting the kit. The simple fact that nobody else has seemed to notice whatever it was Roger took issue with seems to indicate (to me at least) that whatever it is probably isn't a deal-breaker to the majority of people who might be interested in the kit. Or maybe everyone has noticed it and just doesn't care enough to mention it, but that particular aspect didn't meet his standards. Whatever. I've seen some great kits written off by a handful of people for some pretty inconsequential reasons in the past- that didn't seem to matter to the countless other builders who enjoyed building the kit.

The majority of people who have this kit, or have at least seen it up close, have had pretty much nothing but good things to say about it. But as we all know, you can't please everybody...

The thing that people are wondering about is the fact that he stated the kit has such a "major flaw" that, as I understand it, was apparently so bad that he decided to stop building the kit and he's trying to trade it away.

Yet he won't tell anyone what that "major flaw" is.

I have this new kit that everyone's talking about, and I found a problem with it so huge that I've given up on trying to build it... but I'm not going to tell you what that problem is...

Kind of odd behavior, no?

True- but being that he's the only one who's noticed it, or spoken up about it, and nobody else can seem to figure out what it is, couldn't it just be a case of one man's Mona Lisa being another's Velvet Elvis?

He could clear up all the mystery if he would just tell us about this "major flaw" he found, couldn't he?

Why the game playing?

Harry,

Just my two cents but as the owner of several of these kits, I am not going to let someone's perception decide whether or not I should attempt to build them. I bought them because I was excited to have a new pickup kit to build and the initial reviews were very positive.

I'd hate to think what state this hobby would be in if we were all scared off by one or two bad views of a kit! Maybe I am more accepting of some flaws in a kit, could be that after over 40 years in this hobby I have yet to see the perfect kit, but either way I am going to get mine built!

Hope you had a great Father's Day, I did! :D;)

He could clear up all the mystery if he would just tell us about this "major flaw" he found, couldn't he?

Why the game playing?

To get attention? So far, the known flaws AFAIK are the # of wheel spokes on one set of wheels, the exhaust, the engine decals for the fenders, the open backs of the door pockets, the blockiness of the seats, the fiddly fit of the tires, the fit of the side glass relative to the interior panels, and the fit of the grille. All pretty trivial, nothing of the scale of the flaws of a certain recent Revell new tool. I haven't built mine yet, but looking over the tooling the critical stuff (shape of the body, detailing of various parts, etc) looks excellent to me.

To get attention? So far, the known flaws AFAIK are the # of wheel spokes on one set of wheels, the exhaust, the engine decals for the fenders, the open backs of the door pockets, the blockiness of the seats, the fiddly fit of the tires, the fit of the side glass relative to the interior panels, and the fit of the grille. All pretty trivial, nothing of the scale of the flaws of a certain recent Revell new tool. I haven't built mine yet, but looking over the tooling the critical stuff (shape of the body, detailing of various parts, etc) looks excellent to me.

As you say, all of the things you mentioned (as have others) aren't anywhere near the level of "major" that would cause anyone to throw up their hands in disgust and say "I quit."

I still hope Roger decides to tell us about the issues he found.

One set of wheels has 7 spokes, the 1:1 has 8, is what I read..in one of the threads here a while back..

Well, that may not exactly be inaccurate. There is a 7 spoke wheel available on the 1:1 in a 20" diameter.

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/enlarge.php?img=/prodimg/ALY03845U.jpg&title=Wheel+A-03845U90%C4+2012+FORD+F250-F350-TRUCK+Wheels+F250-F350-TRUCK+Rims

Those wheels, however, are for '11 and newer trucks.

Well, that may not exactly be inaccurate. There is a 7 spoke wheel available on the 1:1 in a 20" diameter.

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/enlarge.php?img=/prodimg/ALY03845U.jpg&title=Wheel+A-03845U90%C4+2012+FORD+F250-F350-TRUCK+Wheels+F250-F350-TRUCK+Rims

Those wheels, however, are for '11 and newer trucks.

so the owner upgraded to newer style, my truck originally had 16s i upgraded to 17s both factory wheel options for 97-03 f150s

I'd be a little more offended by the either incorrect spoke count, or wheels that weren't technically available on the truck if the actual real wheels weren't included. Those 8 spokes were only standard on Lariats and King Ranches, neither of which is a trim level this kit purports to be. They should have been right rather than wrong, but to build the kit offered on the box, you don't use those wheels in the first place.

The accidental V-10 decals and all of the various information on instructions makes me wonder if there wasn't a tip of the hands there to an upcoming V-10 and dually versions. I guess if there's a V-10 Dually down the road with a diesel exhaust we'll know some wires go crossed in the R&D department as to which parts went on what runners.

I'd be a little more offended by the either incorrect spoke count, or wheels that weren't technically available on the truck if the actual real wheels weren't included. Those 8 spokes were only standard on Lariats and King Ranches, neither of which is a trim level this kit purports to be. They should have been right rather than wrong, but to build the kit offered on the box, you don't use those wheels in the first place.

The accidental V-10 decals and all of the various information on instructions makes me wonder if there wasn't a tip of the hands there to an upcoming V-10 and dually versions. I guess if there's a V-10 Dually down the road with a diesel exhaust we'll know some wires go crossed in the R&D department as to which parts went on what runners.

Dually version will come with the diesel exhaust and V10 petrol engine :lol:

Maybe it was something as simple as James said, wires got crossed in the R&D department.

Edited by martinfan5

I just tried the kit wheels on Fireball Modelworks BFG Krawlers and they fit perfect. The wheels are a little big so the rubber tires actually stretch a little and gain you about 1/16" in height and just ever so slightly narrower. Hoping to find a nice set of dually wheels that these tires will fit on so I can do a dually conversion. Tire with meng wheel is on the right. Ensd up being about 3/16" taller than the stock tires.

65C035DD-49D8-494A-98BE-543C7AD098ED_zps

8B684FFB-5D4B-4A39-A5F5-732245117C8F_zps

AA09507D-A037-44F3-8166-B3DB43F44265_zps

Edited by zaina