Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/24 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab: Sneak Peek Pics!

Gregg

I'm puzzled about something; the glass doesn't fit, the tail lights don't fit, the tires don't fit properly, the exhaust is wrong but it's still an awesome kit! Revell puts the wrong picture in their instructions and the WHOLE COMPANY is peopled with incompetents. I'm confused.

I'm puzzled about something; the glass doesn't fit, the tail lights don't fit, the tires don't fit properly, the exhaust is wrong but it's still an awesome kit! Revell puts the wrong picture in their instructions and the WHOLE COMPANY is peopled with incompetents. I'm confused.

Well the Moebius Hudson and Chryslers are pretty wonkily proportioned, and the LoneStar's hood will not shut if built according to the instructions, and yet everyone around here declares Moebius the greatest thing since sliced bread and the kits to be of "Tamiya-like" quality.

Perhaps people are willing to give the new "kids" a bit of a pass as they go through their learning curve, and expect the company that's been at it for 65+ years to know what they're doing by now...

I'm puzzled about something; the glass doesn't fit, the tail lights don't fit, the tires don't fit properly, the exhaust is wrong ...

I don't remember hearing anything about the glass not fitting, exhaust is wrong, etc. What did I miss?

I don't remember hearing anything about the glass not fitting, exhaust is wrong, etc. What did I miss?

Yeah the glass doesn't fit flush when you put the interior in. I just xur the front ones off and you have to trim the rear ones right below the bottom of the window. I made an aftermarket exhaust and swapes out the tires for more rugged looking ones. I also added a POW window decal and a sound system in the bed. Also didn't like the grille, so I made a modified one.

post-12293-0-41436900-1401901413_thumb.j

post-12293-0-26495900-1401901477_thumb.j

post-12293-0-34667200-1401901523_thumb.j

post-12293-0-70932900-1401901562_thumb.j

The exhaust is for a gas engine , not a diesel , the taillights do not fit flush with the bed, and like already mention, the side window glass does not allow the interior to fit like it should , there are some other small things , but guess what, its roof isnt chopped, so thats a plus :lol:

Well the Moebius Hudson and Chryslers are pretty wonkily proportioned, and the LoneStar's hood will not shut if built according to the instructions, and yet everyone around here declares Moebius the greatest thing since sliced bread and the kits to be of "Tamiya-like" quality.

Perhaps people are willing to give the new "kids" a bit of a pass as they go through their learning curve, and expect the company that's been at it for 65+ years to know what they're doing by now...

I really have to agree with my good friend here, while sure, the F350 kit is not perfect, its still hands down better then anything Revell can do as of late it seems, and that is in my opinion, and not bashing on Revell, I think people are giving them "a pass" if you will, but also I think it comes down what flaws the kit has, some flaws are more easier to deal with then others, I would much rather have an incorrect exhaust then a incorrect body.

Edited by martinfan5

Those are the small issues. It has a major one also. I don't know if people who have built it haven't noticed it or just not saying anything about it. I found it a couple or three hours into the prep work. I put what I did have prepped back in the box and tossed it and the other one into the stash. Once the sting of what I paid for them wears off, maybe I'll use them for parts. I was really looking forward to building a few of these kits. Now, I don't care if I ever build them. :(

What are you talking about ?

My kit came with poorly molded tires and not so hot chrome. These were promptly exchanged by Squadron for parts not much better, not Squadron's fault, the customer service was outstanding!!! I did end up with 5 halfway decent tires out of the 10 I got. The edges were wavy and didn't fit the rims well at all.

I'm still not happy with the aluminumish chrome, for a 75 dollar kit. Chrome that peels off with tape is....unacceptable. I'm hoping this is a learning curve problem as the rest of the kit looks really good imho.

As I've stated before, Meng needs to step up their game if they want to compete with RM, Amt, Mobieus,etc.

As I've stated elsewhere I commend Meng for producing a new domestic pickup,but come on guys make it worth the high end dollars you are asking for it. I will not buy another sight unseen... I will say I never had any problems with the numerous military kits I've purchased from Meng.

This is not intended to do anything but point out what I see as problems with a high end kit, again just mho

Jake :)

My kit came with poorly molded tires and not so hot chrome. These were promptly exchanged by Squadron for parts not much better, not Squadron's fault, the customer service was outstanding!!! I did end up with 5 halfway decent tires out of the 10 I got. The edges were wavy and didn't fit the rims well at all.

Yes, the tires in the kit are very bad , I will agree with you on that

I'm still not happy with the aluminumish chrome, for a 75 dollar kit. Chrome that peels off with tape is....unacceptable. I'm hoping this is a learning curve problem as the rest of the kit looks really good imho.

The chrome trees in my kits are very much chrome, mind posting a picture of the chrome tree from your kit ?

You can contact Meng and they will be more then happy to send you a replacement chrome tree.

As I've stated before, Meng needs to step up their game if they want to compete with RM, Amt, Mobieus,etc.

This is where I disagree with you 100%,

As I've stated elsewhere I commend Meng for producing a new domestic pickup,but come on guys make it worth the high end dollars you are asking for it. I will not buy another sight unseen... I will say I never had any problems with the numerous military kits I've purchased from Meng.

High kit, depending on where you buy it from, the price ranges from the $40 up to around $80, I paid $43 for mine, and I feel other then the tires , I got my moneys worth.

This is not intended to do anything but point out what I see as problems with a high end kit, again just mho

Are you Jake? or John?

Edited by martinfan5

Yes, the tires in the kit are very bad , I will agree with you on that

The chrome trees in my kits are very much chrome, mind posting a picture of the chrome tree from your kit ?

You can contact Meng and they will be more then happy to send you a replacement chrome tree.

This is where I disagree with you 100%,

High kit, depending on where you buy it from, the price ranges from the $40 up to around $80, I paid $43 for mine, and I feel other then the tires , I got my moneys worth.

Are you Jake? or John?

His nickname is Jake, real name is John. Look at his post in Introduce Yourself

Maybe this was mentioned before in the thread, and I missed it, but it is a long thread.

Why the F350 and not the F150 or F250. I see the F150 ALL over the place.

I suppose it depends on the region you're in as to what one sees more on the road. Around here, we have just as many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks on the road as 1/2 tons.

However, I believe that Meng went with the F350 (the F250 is virtually identical) due to them being primarily a military model company. The F350 would be a very easy fit into that market, as the US military does use F350s. Granted, the scale isn't what most military models are accustomed to, but I've seen a few other kits in their catalog that are not in the "traditional" 1/35 scale most military kits are done in.

Maybe this was mentioned before in the thread, and I missed it, but it is a long thread.

Why the F350 and not the F150 or F250. I see the F150 ALL over the place.

I am just guessing here, but maybe they chose the F350 as they can get two version from almost the same tooling, meaning, doing a dually version as well, we all know model companys try and maximize the most out of tooling, and picking subjects they can maybe do different variations of .

Or, maybe Meng liked the F350 better then the 150's :lol:

Actually, they can change the badges on this kit to a F-250 and get another kit out of the tooling pretty cheaply. And it has been speculated, a dual wheel version could be forthcoming.

Revell is releasing the F150 Raptor kit this fall, that will have to do unless they plan on a stock F150 next year.

Hi,

I paid $51 at Squadron for my kit. The amount should not matter.

I will be sending for new chrome from Meng, thanks for that heads up. The exchange from Squadron wasn't any better than the original. I guess maybe I'm tooo picky for $51........or mine came from a bad batch. I showed the kit to my fellow clubmembers and got a mixed reaction some thought it was ok, others thought the same as me....Almost all thought the kit was overpriced

I will try to post pics of the chrome tree.

My name is John, but I go by Jake as there are 9 other Johns in my family.

BTW, I went to the 3D printing class and was kinda neat, I see a real future for this as the prices drop and the quality of the printers goes up.

Thank to all who stated an opinion

Hate to hear so many of you or having chrome issues, the chrome in my 5 kits are fine as I see no problem with them unless I'm not seeing something

on my chrome trees of the area/areas you guys are having issues with.

Chrome being pulled up with tape is one of the issue's Edited by martinfan5

I am just guessing here, but maybe they chose the F350 as they can get two version from almost the same tooling, meaning, doing a dually version as well, we all know model companys try and maximize the most out of tooling, and picking subjects they can maybe do different variations of .

Or, maybe Meng liked the F350 better then the 150's :lol:

I have just started working on my kit, and I like it so far. Did you notice that the instructions story text mentioned both the Dually and Single tire rear axle trucks? I get the feeling that it was a prelude to their next kit.

Mark

Those are the small issues. It has a major one also. I don't know if people who have built it haven't noticed it or just not saying anything about it. I found it a couple or three hours into the prep work. I put what I did have prepped back in the box and tossed it and the other one into the stash. Once the sting of what I paid for them wears off, maybe I'll use them for parts. I was really looking forward to building a few of these kits. Now, I don't care if I ever build them. :(

So ... do you ever plan to tell us what this major, game stopping issue is or are you making stuff up?

While I'm not really into the late model trucks, I'm surrounded by superduties new and old most of the day and thought I'd better bring one of these kits in to check out. Got the best deal at dc alley. Haven't started building yet but aside from the bizarre exhaust and minor things already mentioned all I can see right off the bat is a lack of steering box, track arm and drag link. Hardly game changers given the work put in on this; maybe when the glue starts to flow I'll discover the dreadful secret...

mike

Edited by mk11