Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius `65 Plymouth Satellite

Shirley..performance parts were available back in the day. Rather recently at a swap meet I saw a weind aluminum intake for poly v8. I always thought they made respectable power right from the factory ...far more than the two-barrel , small valve 318 that replaced it anyway.

I agree with this but don't call me Shirley lol

Shirley..performance parts were available back in the day. Rather recently at a swap meet I saw a weind aluminum intake for poly v8. I always thought they made respectable power right from the factory ...far more than the two-barrel , small valve 318 that replaced it anyway.

Yes, surely there were, and I think I've seen some ads- your find of a Weiand intake confirms this. Makes sense- contemporary engines. The LA-series engines, however, became much more popular because they weighed a good bit less and were physically smaller, as they were designed for use in the A-bodies.

Today, however, at least as far as I know, there's nothing in-production, although I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get a custom-grind cam. Chrysler did have a factory 4-barrel intake, and the exhaust manifolds were already essentially headers, so, with a little creative engineering, and perhaps tinkering with the timing a little, you could make a very powerful engine for its displacement out of any of the poly-head engines, of which there were several.

Charlie Larkin

Isn't this a Poly engine? Danbury Mint '57 Dodge Sweptline parts. Just sold for ten bucks on eBay:

$_57.JPG

Yes, Chris, I think it is. The displacement, at least to my mind, called one of the Polyhead engines to mind. The LoadFlite transmission is the TorqueFlite with slightly different internals for heavier-duty use, although that would have to be corrected for 1962-up cars, which used the smaller aluminum-case TorqueFlite, and the cast-iron unit wouldn't fit in the smaller cars.

Enterprising resin-casters- anyone up for giving this a shot?

Charlie Larkin

One of our Australian based aftermarket kitmakers casts the Polyhead 318 V8....or at least they did a several years ago....TIM

Really? Hmmm....any idea who it was, Tim?

Folks down in Oz- anyone know? I'd be willing to buy.

The crummy part? One of my friends from high school lives in Australia now and just came home to visit. Had I known this a few weeks prior, I would've asked her to bring it along with her!

Charlie Larkin

Really? Hmmm....any idea who it was, Tim?

ScaleAutoMobilia sells those engines in resin. Auslowe Model Accessories is the manufacturer. That is the only picture I found, but the product can be found Here. The parts seem to be organized by the year, this one is in 1958. It's $17, so not a bad price for an engine kit I guess? I don't know about the quality, though.

poly318resin.jpg

ScaleAutoMobilia sells those engines in resin. Auslowe Model Accessories is the manufacturer. That is the only picture I found, but the product can be found Here. The parts seem to be organized by the year, this one is in 1958. It's $17, so not a bad price for an engine kit I guess? I don't know about the quality, though.

poly318resin.jpg

Thanks for the info !!!! B)

poly318resin.jpg

Excellent detective work, Niko. Thanks.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news on the 65 Plymouth is that tooling should be starting - I've seen all the tool layout drawings.. current schedule is for 1st test shots to be in my hands around the end of September..and possibly 1st kit released for production around end of October..which ought to put kits in stores around Thanksgiving IF everything goes to plan.

I'll know a lot more @ the end of September when I have first test shots in my hot little hands!

Edited by Dave Metzner

Yes, thanks for the update as I really don't need anymore kits. However the'65 Satellite has me droolin' and I will be pickin' some of those kits up as I won't be able to resist not buying them. Hopefully the Satellite will make it to my bench soon, and not just on the "pile."

Latest news on the 65 Plymouth is that tooling should be starting - I've seen all the tool layout drawings.. current schedule is for 1st test shots to be in my hands around the end of September..and possibly 1st kit released for production around end of October..which ought to put kits in stores around Thanksgiving IF everything goes to plan.

I'll know a lot more @ the end of September when I have first test shots in my hot little hands!

Any idea about when the Comet or Pontiac arrive?

Scott

P.S. Do you know anything about when Moebius is releasing their Jonny Quest Dragonfly model?

Edited by unclescott58

Johnny Quest?? Wow, is that a long lost cartoon! I haven't seen that since I was a kid! I do remember that plane in the cartoon series and I'm surprised that there will be a kit of it!

Cool stuff!

Jonny Quest still has a following. It is still the coolest cartoon ever. And best TV show theme music ever. The complete original series has been out on DVD for several years now. I've had the set for several years now. Now I need Moebuis' upcoming Dragonfly to go with it.

Scott