Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us YOUR patina. Good or bad.

Greg Myers

I have to agree.However, just like so many other aspects of our hobby someone brings this to the table , so to speak, and away we go, like it or not.

I do think the genuine "Barn Find" unfinished / unrestored look is interesting, so much as to just see what condition the car was in when put away wet.

The "Velvet" look is another unfinished genre, like it or not.

Of course "Miss Belvedere " is a whole other story.

and I guess what I'd like to see here, is every ones attempt at this finish (patina) applied to a model car, thanks, have fun. :lol:

I like how the first car posted is rusted on the body yet it's super glossy and has perfect non-rusted rims, etc.

Can't really see the rims as they are covered with "Moon" type "Salt Falts" spun aluminum discs. :blink:

I find it interesting what he's done with the existing paint / patina polishing it up as he has, to a fine gloss. B)

The Corvette , on the other hand, a neat car in it's own right, but hey? What's going on with all the little orange spots? :o

Edited by Greg Myers

So far I can only recall completing two vars with a purposely rough or dirty finish.

A very early effort, a tube framed "ratty" rod, based on a Revell '29 Ford Pickup body shell (virtually nothing else from that kit...):

DSCF1682-web.jpg
DSCF1699-web.jpg

And a couple of years later, a pre-war style dry lakes '29 A four banger roadster, more dusty than worn:

DSCF2121-web.jpg
DSCF2128-web.jpg

I have done some drag cars that have what I call "race car paint", the kind of slap-dash finish seen frequently at drag strips in the 50's and early 60's.

Here's a late 50's digger with a bare-metal body (it's actually bare plastic...):

DSCF2092-web.jpg
DSCF2087-web.jpg

And an early 60's style T-bucket altered with a purposely very basic paint job:

DSCF0841-web.jpg
DSCF0876-web.jpg