Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Plymouth wagon with dragster trailer

realgone58

I finally finished my JoHan '60 Plymouth Sport Suburban station wagon. Color is an old Kyrlon color that simulates '60 Plymouth Spring Green pretty closely. I shot the roof and inserts white, like most of these top of the line wagons were, and finished with a couple coats of DuPont 7480S clear. It shines beautifully, although my camera didn't pic up on it. Too much bright sun, not allowing enough shading to reflect the shine. Interior is metallic green and silver. Years ago, I had a 4 door in the same color combination, and always loved it. There is an engine in there, but I chose not to take pics of that because these kits are basically promos. There are no inner fenders and the firewall is a small generic piece. I concentrated more on accuracy to the original car, and applying tons of BMF. I used the correct larger tires from the parts box, and added a trailer hitch to tow my Slant Six Rail dragster trailer.

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4097.JPG

The wagon looks perfect for the time era of the dragster. I love them both. The closed trailer would have been a true luxury for the same time period. Nice job on it also. It looks like a lot of work went into this, especially with all the BMF.

Nice build on that Mopar, but an open trailer would be more correct for the time period. From what I remember cars were either "flat towed" or on an open trailer back in the mid-60's.

There were enclosed trailers like this around. I have several vintage pics of them. Guess you could say this drag racer had a few bucks. New top of the line Plymouth wagon, and one of the new Slant Sixes already in a rail!

Nice combination it all came out looking great. One note is that most of the tow wagons back then also had a push bar on the front of them.

Yes, but I didn't want to cover up that beautiful '60 Plymouth grille! Another reason is, I display these seperately as well, so without seeing it with the trailer, one would wonder what the push bar was there for.