Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cover versions of well-known songs

The Dickies were a California band well known for being too fast and loud, and kind of proud of it. The were the masters of the overkill cover.

Here they are making Paranoid even moe frantic than Sabbath!

And here is their take on Knights in White Satin

Wildest of all is their high speed thrash punk pop version of Sound of Silence. No live video to this one, but you can imagine...

The Dickies used to be known as "The World's Highest Paid Cover Band", but that was before Metallica really took off... :lol:

I saw 20th Flight Rockers performing live a bit over a week ago and I took a couple of videos too. Here they are covering Jerry Lee Lewis' High School Confidential. An excellent band & An excellent cover!!!

Edited by W-409

I was in the Netherlands for a Month in 1977, and I remember the original version of Yes Sir I Can Boogie.

I had the 45, (Brought back from Europe at age 12) and when we were rehearsing at my house a couple of years ago, my drummer was digging through decades worth of my old junk and found a stack of 45s in the piano bench. We played a few of them during a break ,and that one struck a chord with our band. We had two women in the band doing vocals, so it was only natural that we sounded it out and jammed it a few times. We played it once at a gig and got absolutely no response. I guess nobody in the U.S. had ever heard the song before, and certainly nobody in Free Soil Michigan. It was a bit out of character for us, as we were more of a classic rock band. We never played it again, but it was always a bit of a rolling joke for us. Whenever we botch something at a rehearsal or soundcheck, one of us will break the silence by singing a bar or two of the chorus quietly in the background. It had become our secret code word for "Crash and burn"

Interesting, but way, WAY too slow. It almost put me to sleep. I had to go listen to the original to get my heart rate back up. B)

Sorry Snake! Tempo was a little slow and they tune down so it's kinda sludgy. How about a Misfits song covered by Solace.

http://youtu.be/0Ld5bYP6zeM

Here's one that's not Sophie for a change, as much as I'd love her to cover every song ever to make it perfect...

Queens of the Stone Age - White Wedding.

A totally different style from the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeseRvBhKA

Josh is a great guitar player, I dig Kyuss more than QOTSA, but i dig the Queens too!

Sorry Snake! Tempo was a little slow and they tune down so it's kinda sludgy. How about a Misfits song covered by Solace.

http://youtu.be/0Ld5bYP6zeM

Josh is a great guitar player, I dig Kyuss more than QOTSA, but i dig the Queens too!

I prefer Queens myself, but Welcome to Sky Valley and And The Circus Leaves Town are two of my favourite albums ever.