Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cover versions of well-known songs

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

On Firday last week, Howard Stern's SiriusXM channel did an amazing David Bowie tribute.

They managed to get Tony Visconti to host, and had 25 artists come in and cover Bowie songs. 

This special was fantastic!

Personal favourites were Garbage covering Starman and Todd Rundgren doing Life On Mars. 

I think some of the audio is on You Tube, and if you have the SiriusXM app, yhou can stream it. It's well worth your time!

There are actually a couple of Aimee Mann covers:

I actually like this version better than the original. 

She also did an awesome cover of Free Man in Paris. She delivered an amazing performance at the Belly Up in Solana Beach, then we went to her performance at the Hollywood Bowl the following week. Unfortunately, I can't find a good recording of her performance, which is too bad. She's one of the few that can do that song justice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Great cover of Johnny Burnette's Lonesome Train by an excellent Finnish Rockabilly band "Greased Lightning". Seen them a few times and they never disappoint!

And this video was filmed by me this summer at Västerås Summer Meet in Sweden. My favorite band, The Go Getters performing an excellent Rockabilly version of Ramones' Sheena Is A Punk Rocker.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'll continue then. :P

Last weekend I was at a Rockabilly Party here in Finland. Monkey And The Baboons from Poland sounded (and looked ;) ) excellent, they performed a great cover of Dave Edmunds' Trouble Boys.

And the second band, Crystal & Runnin' Wild was excellent, too! Don't know how well known this original version is, but as it has 553 000 views in YouTube, maybe it can be count as a well-known song.... Anyway, they performed What A Way To Die, which was a huge improvement to the original Pleasure Seekers' version, in my opinion at least.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...