Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cover versions of well-known songs

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry you didn't like it. I didn't say it was better, just different. I respect artists who try to come up with a new interpretation of a song and not just karaoke the version we've heard a million times. Apparently these two contestants came up with this original version on their own. 

FWIW, the judges liked it, and the "loser" of the battle got "stolen," which is pretty high praise on this show. B)

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Sorry you didn't like it. I didn't say it was better, just different. I respect artists who try to come up with a new interpretation of a song and not just karaoke the version we've heard a million times. Apparently these two contestants came up with this original version on their own. 

FWIW, the judges liked it, and the "loser" of the battle got "stolen," which is pretty high praise on this show. B)

Hey, no need to be sorry about it. We all like different stuff. 

Sometimes a cover is better than the original,,, The Crash Test Dummies cover of "Peter Pumpkinhead" ,, to me, is much better than XTC's original. But that's just me.

As with models,, the world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same stuff. ?

Check out Blackberry Smoke, they have many really cool covers on YT.  My favorite is probably Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky".

And there is a live version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame ceremony with Tom Petty on vocals and Prince doing the guitar solo that is awesome.  Prince shreds on the solo.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's not a well known song, but I suspect it will now become slightly more popular.

Alice Cooper just released "Our Love Will Change The World." It's the lead single for his upcoming album of covers of Detroit music.

And here's the original.

Alice has been playing this song live for a while now.

I kind of wonder though...why cover a song if you don't really put your own spin on it? I mean, I like it, but at this point, you might as well listen to the original.

• 5 months later...

This year's winner of The Voice, Cam Anthony, rocks "She Drives Me Crazy" with his coach--hang onto something--Blake Shelton: 

And the kid also did a very credible rendition of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive:"

• 2 weeks later...