Model Cars Magazine Forum

Repurposed TV Cabinet Airbrush Paint Booth

I’ve made it this far on rattle cans in the garage (cold & dusty) and in an unvented basement (gassing myself). But if I want to take things up a notch, I have to start airbrushing - especially if I want to use Allclad. And I do.

I’ve had an old TV cabinet kicking around the basement; the TV has long since been recycled, but the cabinet was too nice to just trash and I thought maybe I could turn it into a stereo cabinet or something. Well, here’s the something. Made of blond maple, with nice doors that open and tuck inside, there’s plenty of room for a 20” x 25” filter on a downdraft plenum. There was a shelf and turntable for the TV; I took those out. All I needed was a fan blower to mount behind the cabinet; it could be connected to a disused outside air vent with 5” ducting. I calculated the airflow based on static pressure of the length of vent (just one 90 degree elbow to reach the outside vent) and I had plenty of leeway - I'll have more airflow than I need and I may need to cut a bleeder vent in the plenum. The blower motor has a second plenum at its outlet that allows mounting a flapper valve to help keep cold winter air at bay. The outside vent also has a flap. This booth should handle anything, even rattle cans. Not expensive; cost me just a little more than one of those little portable plastic booths you can buy on ebay (plus shipping and taxes); but this is much more functional, looks good (it will garner no complaints), and closes up to keep the dust out. An array of LED puck lights gives nice even light and no shadows.

post-13647-0-93765500-1400130754_thumb.j

post-13647-0-17965600-1400130757_thumb.j

post-13647-0-08539100-1400130759_thumb.j

post-13647-0-72767100-1400130760_thumb.j

post-13647-0-39194300-1400130763_thumb.j

post-13647-0-83205400-1400130765_thumb.j

Nice!

Hollywood Jim did something like this with a taller cabinet. Showed it to me years ago and I intended to duplicate it, but . . . here we are, 2014 and it hasn't made it to the top of the to-do list.

• 3 weeks later...