Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Studebaker Champion - "My First Car" Replica

Danno

In a seemingly never-ending parade (Ha!), comes forth yet another example of a finished model from my shelves. Yes, Virginia, Danno does complete one once in a great while.

This is an older build, a replica of my first 1:1 car project from my younger days. I picked up a '53 Studebaker Champion 2door coupe from the police auction ~ complete except for engine and transmission. An Honest Charley engine mounting kit, a junkyard 327 and Muncie, some Starbird-esque radiused wheelwells framing a pair of slicks, a set of Cragars, and a custom interior, and Danno had a street machine!

Studebaker531stCar001-vi.jpg

It's not exactly a replica of the 1:1, because the big car never got its finished interior. But in 1:25 scale, it was easier to complete. Buckets all around (parts box pair from who-know-where were resin cast to make four) straddled a full-length console that flowed from the mahogany dashboard. Under the standard Studebaker dash brow, a custom mahogany panel was home to a full set of Stewart-Warner gauges including tach and speedo.

Studebaker531stCar005-vi.jpg

The body was shaved, hood nosed, and everything smoothed to highlight the near-perfect Raymond Loewy lines of the car that was 'way ahead of its time. What chrome was left to enhance the body was BMF'ed on the model.

Studebaker531stCar007-vi.jpg

Lest anyone think she was mere trailer queen, the rear treatment was simple but pure muscle.

Studebaker531stCar003-vi.jpg

The "barn" was where the horses were kept. Hooker headers routed the spent gases to the Thrush mufflers and straight duals. In true gasser-era fashion, I hacked out the lumpy stock firewall and replaced it with a flat sheet of aluminum ~ for show, of course ~ and dressed up the 327 with some chrome and polished aluminum.

Studebaker531stCar006-vi.jpg

All in all, she was a fun build - both in 1:1 and 1:25. I still have the little one and I can't begin to tell how many times I've regretted giving up the big one!

Studebaker531stCar002-vi.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed her, and hope we haven't overstayed our welcome.

Cool story and memories. I have always had a thing for Studebakers since I came home from the hospital when I was born in a 1954 4 door sedan. My father loved the style, but the used sedan was what he could afford. Around 1961 he painted it green. He and his military buddies sprayed it in the motor pool and he drove it home, and parked it in the garage to dry. Me, being around 3 saw it and said "Daddy's new car!" as I put my little hand into the wet paint.

Great story and a great build. One of my favorite kits.

Thanks, Rob!

At least you'll always have the memories, and this little one to remind you of the big one.

Really cool model, and fantastic story.

You're right, Robin. Haven't lost the memories! Thanks.

Cool story and memories. I have always had a thing for Studebakers since I came home from the hospital when I was born in a 1954 4 door sedan. My father loved the style, but the used sedan was what he could afford. Around 1961 he painted it green. He and his military buddies sprayed it in the motor pool and he drove it home, and parked it in the garage to dry. Me, being around 3 saw it and said "Daddy's new car!" as I put my little hand into the wet paint.

Thanks, Tom. That's a good story, too.

I knew you were a fellow Studaphile, so I figured you would weigh in. Glad you like it.

Super nice build Danno. Real cool story to go with the build...

Thanks, Carl! Appreciate it.

Neat. My first car was a '54 Studebaker Champion handed down to me by my father. Drove it for a few years then when I graduated from high school and got a job I traded it in on a newer car. I rather regret that decision now!

Neat. My first car was a '54 Studebaker Champion handed down to me by my father. Drove it for a few years then when I graduated from high school and got a job I traded it in on a newer car. I rather regret that decision now!

Thanks, Robert. I'm with you, man. REALLY neat cars, aren't they?

Beautiful. I like the way, you finished the interior, that was never finished in 1:1. It gave me an idea, to build some of my 1:1 rides & "finish" them, in scale.

You bet, Jeff! Hey, if you can't finish it in the big time, why not finish it off in scale?

You know, that's in keeping with the whole 'promo' idea back in the day: Model it in scale to show what it would look like in 1:1.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it.

That's a cool model Danno. As has been said, it's a lot of fun to build a car that you've owned.

Thanks, Rich! I really appreciate your comments, seeing as how you're kinda like the King of the 50's!!