Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling disaster stories?

I can join in with this one, about 6 months ago i managed to pick up a built up Johan 68 or 69 AMX (cant remember what year), it was missing the wheels but everything else was there, now these are very hard to come by so I decided to break it down and strip the paint, ready for a restore/rebuild.

Now over here in the UK ,we have a lot less options than you guys for stripping paint, I used the oven cleaner method...wouldn't touch the thick orange paint on the shell, I the had a brain wave ...caustic soda! yes that will work, well yes it probably would have worked if I used cold water........but what did I do......I used hot water from the kettle ( I have no idea what I was thinking) let me tell you after plunging that shell into that caustic hot solution that 1/25 body shrunk to the size of a deformed Johnny Lightning in seconds !!

Never again !! Lol

So there I was, perfect paint job with decals all sealed in with clear.. just shining there on the stand. I decide that just one more little squeeze of clear, so I reach for the spray can... and spray FLAT BLACK on the body! Wrong can! Based on that one, I have trained myself that I place the can I'm working with in the spray booth with the subject.

Interiors - note that my interiors are pretty multi media... flocking, cloth, paper, cardboard, acrylic and water color paint... knock over one beer bottle directly into the finished interior! Didn't notice it until it filled up too!

And the mother of all model room disasters....

modelbenchbefore-vi.jpg

Exhibit A - My model room at my old house in New Jersey (Pre disaster)

disaster2-vi.jpg

Exhibit B- Same shot post disaster. The shelves came down off the wall. Fortunately we were away for the weekend so I wasn't sitting there. My chair got flattened!

disaster3-vi.jpg

Lessons learned... I did put the shelves back up again with much longer screws! I used to kid people that you could see the screws sticking through the outside siding! And I didn't put the heavy stuff... books, etc back up there. I have the same shelves at my current home, and just have my parts cabinets and all my unfinished projects on the shelves!

lucky50-vi.jpg

My miracle picture. My 1950 Ford pickup was sitting at the back of the bench awaiting a minor repair. The bottom narrow shelf came directly down and got stopped on top of my eXacto blade boxes, leaving the pickup in a neat little safe garage. Only the front bumper got knocked off. Easy glue job!

Edited by Tom Geiger

The Tennax story reminded me of my ultra thin super glue story! :lol: I was at my new (At the time) work station with everything neatly tucked away and organized working on my 1964 Impala. I went to grab my ultra thin super glue bottle for something and ended up covering half of my brand new work bench in a layer of superglue. I let it fully dry and came back the next day to start chipping it off, it took two days and a LOT of various instruments to clean up most of it.

So there I was, perfect paint job with decals all sealed in with clear.. just shining there on the stand. I decide that just one more little squeeze of clear, so I reach for the spray can... and spray FLAT BLACK on the body! Wrong can! Based on that one, I have trained myself that I place the can I'm working with in the spray booth with the subject.

Interiors - note that my interiors are pretty multi media... flocking, cloth, paper, cardboard, acrylic and water color paint... knock over one beer bottle directly into the finished interior! Didn't notice it until it filled up too!

And the mother of all model room disasters....

modelbenchbefore-vi.jpg

Exhibit A - My model room at my old house in New Jersey (Pre disaster)

disaster2-vi.jpg

Exhibit B- Same shot post disaster. The shelves came down off the wall. Fortunately we were away for the weekend so I wasn't sitting there. My chair got flattened!

disaster3-vi.jpg

Lessons learned... I did put the shelves back up again with much longer screws! I used to kid people that you could see the screws sticking through the outside siding! And I didn't put the heavy stuff... books, etc back up there. I have the same shelves at my current home, and just have my parts cabinets and all my unfinished projects on the shelves!

lucky50-vi.jpg

My miracle picture. My 1950 Ford pickup was sitting at the back of the bench awaiting a minor repair. The bottom narrow shelf came directly down and got stopped on top of my eXacto blade boxes, leaving the pickup in a neat little safe garage. Only the front bumper got knocked off. Easy glue job!

holy smokes! that could have been real bad!

as for the beer, I find if I don't set it down, there is minimal chance of spillage.............until the right amount is consumed anyway, then all bets are off :D

An issue I had a number of years ago was when I was building a replica truck for my father in law using a rare Matchbox Volvo FL 10/12 kit. Our 6 month old Boxer puppy got into my hobby room after I forgot to latch the door shut and decided to use the cab as a chew toy. It was totally destroyed and the only ones available at the time were going for silly money on e bay. I didn't get much sympathy from the wife either; "he's only a puppy, you should have locked the door!!" But as the saying goes, "what goes around comes around", I had the last laugh when he got into our spare room and decided to play with one of my wife's collectable Beanie Babies!! She didn't get much sympathy from me either...!!

Ouch about the volvo. I have a modeling medical disaster. I was working on a 71 duster kit using my x-acto knife when the phone rings set the knife down answer the phone while I am talking to a buddy I bump the table. Next thing my buddy hears is a scream of pain and I have the knife stuck in the flesh of my knee it wouldn't have been a huge deal if I hadn't reacted by jumping up and in doing so the knife hit the bottom of the table imbedding it further into my knee causing a trip to the ER

>I learned the hard way with the Tamiya stands as well. Now first thing is I tape the bottom stand to the top.

>It does not spin, but it will not fall a part again.

you can certainly tape the top to the bottom and still have it spin. the spinning takes place inside the bottom half if I recall correctly but you are right: that is the FIRST thing to do to those paint stands then they are pretty much golden.

my biggest disaster involved a Tamiya karmann ghia I built. used Tamiya PS black instead of TS black. do a search in the work in process forum for the hilarity that ensued. took me quite some frustrating time to realize my problem.

jb

Okay, this just happened a minute ago.

I'm building "dream rods" for several of my friends. It's really too humid out to paint (rattle can) but I badly need a final coat of clear on a Roadrunner. SOMETIMES you can shoot a coat and get back in the AC quick enough. So I get the body & hood wiped down, go outside, shoot the paint, and RUN on my broken ankle just the very few steps to the house...

And my daughter turns on the sprinkler to water her strawberry bed. It comes on less than three feet from me.

Man.

Dale

HELL YEAH!! ALL BEANIE BABIES MUST DIE!!

What in the world is the attraction to those silly things? Funny story, Mark.

The attraction? The usual collecting / greed fest frenzy! Attraction today? None.

Back when they were the rage and my daughters were young, they both wanted them all. Of course they knew which ones were 'valuable' and wanted those. I explained to them how these collecting phases go and kept them buying Beanies $5 or less. We were at a flea market and one of the vendors had the Peace Bear. This was a psychedelic or tie dye bear with a peace sign on it's chest. It was some enormous amount over $50 and she was whining because I wouldn't buy it. She said I ruined her life!

Years later I'm at a garage sale and I see a laundry basket full of Beanie Babies marked a dollar each. Guess who was sitting on top of the pile? Yup, our ole friend Peace Bear. So I try to buy him for a dollar. The lady offered me the whole basket for $5, but I said I just needed the bear for $1. I then walked down the street to the other garage sales, came back and the basket was sitting on the front seat of my Geo Tracker! Lady must've really wanted those outta there!

At this point my daughter is grown and a teacher. That evening at dinner I had wrapped up Peace Bear and presented it to her with a note that I was sorry that I ruined her life and I needed to make amends! We all got a good laugh. And the basket of Beanies went to good use. She used them as classroom rewards, and gave them to her students.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I finished painting my son's old bedroom which is turning into guest bedroom/model room and was putting my model cases back on the shelves when one caught the shelf bracket, slipped out of my hand, and crashed to the floor! Now my Darrell Waltrip Mountain Dew car is in about 30 separate pieces. Hopefully I will be able to put it back together again. I have since put all my finished models in a glass display showcase so hopefully that won't happen anymore

Edited by majel

I thought you meant the Geo Tracker was the catastrophe not the beanie bears

jb

DSC00039-vi.jpg

No actually the Geo Tracker was purchased new in 1991 for $10,500 cash. Since then it's provided 245,000 miles of transportation with maintenance and minor repairs. It's a mountain goat in snow and I'll be riding in the open air all summer! And it qualifies for PA historic plates! :D

Edited by Tom Geiger

Not too long ago I had a nice yellow paint job on a body and sprayed a first coat of clear. Later I went out to spray another coat of clear and somehow ( stupidity ) I picked up the can to spray only to see I picked up flat black. Idiot !

Burglars, that has got to be the worst. to have your models destroyed by someone just for vandalism sake. It would be bad enough with a (soon-to-be-ex) wife, but a complete stranger would be unbearable.

How are the gun laws and "stand your ground" laws in your state?

jb

Don't even mention ex wives and models. :o

#1 and #3 both called them "toys" and told me I was never going to grow up if I kept "playing" with them. :huh:

#2 was the worst though, deliberately broke every completed model in which, in her mind, I had spent entirely too much time building. I've told the entire story before so I won't get into detail here. :angry:

#4 "gets it" and buys me kits. She attends model shows and has become my #1 fan. That she's my only fan is irrevelant, she's my #1 fan! :wub:

G