Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the story on the "Switchers" ?

• 11 months later...
On ‎2014‎-‎10‎-‎04 at 9:13 AM, Mark said:

The Revell two-door sedan kit makes all of the other sedan bodies obsolete (with the exception of the Orange Crate body). The AMT and MPC sedan bodies are too narrow at the rear.

Here's a visual to go along with that... first pic shows blue reissue of orange crate, revell tudor, amt tudor, mpc keep on truckin'/truckin'on down delivery and the mpc switchers tudor.

P1018367.JPG

P1018371.JPG

P1018373.JPG

Last pic bodies L to R... MPC tudor/sedan delivery, AMT tudor, Revell tudor

P1018392.JPG

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/5/2017 at 8:23 PM, unclescott58 said:

I still have not found a MPC sedan delivery for my collection. I'm still looking.

By the way, I did find and buy Switchers Sedan Delivery just before Round 2 reissued the same kit in the Coca-Cola version, a year or two back. Thankfully, I got it at a decent price. 

16 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

By the way, I did find and buy Switchers Sedan Delivery just before Round 2 reissued the same kit in the Coca-Cola version, a year or two back. Thankfully, I got it at a decent price. 

I'm working on one of the Coke ones now. It's missing quite a few of the original Switchers pieces, but I think there's enough there for me to work with. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I'm working on one of the Coke ones now. It's missing quite a few of the original Switchers pieces, but I think there's enough there for me to work with. 

Okay Snake, I went back and reread all of the postings in this thread concerning the Sedan Delivery in particular. From what can tell, and remember from building mine, the MPC Sedan Delivery was not ever a true Switchers kit. It is based off of the Switchers '32 Fords, but did not come with all the options the other "true" Switchers kits had. Which was fine with me. Having also built the Switchers '32 two-door Sedan/Phaeton kit, the parts I liked are the ones they included with the Sedan Delivery. 

• 9 months later...

After seeing a really well done version of the 25 T on one of the FB survivor models pages I went on the hunt for one of my own. The survivor had the optional C cab/delivery parts on it, and I'd never seen one built that way before. What made it even cooler was the wild 70's panel paint decals. I'm going to build something close when I get my kit from a friend at next months club meeting. I've never built a 70's era rod before.

Here are a few pictures of the original MPC Switchers '25T kit, built box stock shortly after it first came out around 1972.....body paint was AMT Silver lacquer, running gear was Tempo 1972/3 Mopar Basin St. Blue, interior was Humbrol German Purple in the paint tin.   Decals are from the kit, as referenced in Craig's message immediately above.  The only non-kit addition was red flocking to simulate carpet in the interior....Cheers.....TIM

DSC 0556

DSC 0557

DSC 0558

DSC 0559

DSC 0560

DSC 0561

11 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Here are a few pictures of the original MPC Switchers '25T kit, built box stock shortly after it first came out around 1972.....body paint was AMT Silver lacquer, running gear was Tempo 1972/3 Mopar Basin St. Blue, interior was Humbrol German Purple in the paint tin.   Decals are from the kit, as referenced in Craig's message immediately above.  The only non-kit addition was red flocking to simulate carpet in the interior....Cheers.....TIM

That's a good looking build Tim. 

Growing up in the 80's and raised around 50's and 60's rods and customs, the 70's is a lost decade for me. But I have seen a few rods over the last couple years that have me wanting to dip my toes into the decade. Even though it has it's fans, the Switchers series has just been generally derided over the years, and that uninspiring RC2 boxart caused me to basically ignore this kit when I did see it for sale over the last 15 years.

Then when I saw this build on Facebook it caused me to give this previously bypassed kit a second look. Especially this unique body arrangement. When I found out that this build was basically box stock I began the hunt for this kit. And seeing your build just shows me that this kit will be worth my time. Thanks for sharing

• 2 years later...

I've recently completed another five Switchers models .  Truth is, you are way better off buying the Revell versions of any of these kits but as I am trying to assemble one example of every model hot rod kit produced, I had to do these ones!  Like any kit, they respond to some love!

OK, first up, the 32 Tudor that I chopped when I was seventeen but only recently finished. I also used an AMT radiator shell, grille and headlights as the MPC items are clunky.  The firewall is a resin copy of a Rat Roaster firewall. I was after a San Diego Prowlers look.

Next up, the Sedan Delivery built from the Coca Cola release. Close to box stock but I grafted the fuel tank and inner fender edges from an AMT Deuce to fill that annoying gap across the rear. Again used AMT parts up front. 

The lowboy tub has extensive reworking done to the top edge of the doors and tub, using Evergreen half round strip,  to improve realism.  The flathead and pipes are from a Monogram Pie Wagon and seats are from a Stone Woods and Cook Willys. The roof is the chopped version from the AMT phaeton kit.

The five window coupe is surprisingly close to box stock.  The frame was perfect for a gasser, including the not very dropped front axle and the over the fender headers.  Amt inner fender and fuel tank modification at the rear. AMT tyres and Cragar rims.  The hood does run downhill a bit but it needs more work than I was prepared to do to fix it.

Finally, the 32 roadster uses a Revell orange Crate Olds engine and an AMT windshield frame because the Switchers one lacks any real detail, as you can see on the tub.  The most recent re-issue of the roadster kit came with the chromed grille and I used an original AMT cutaway hood to give it that 50s vibe. The interior is from the current channelled version of the Revell 29 roadster.

Amazingly, they all use the Switchers 32 frame which is nothing like a 32 frame!  Like I said, with a bit of massaging and a bit of love, they scrub up OK! 

A current project of mine is to graft a spare five window coupe roof ( they are separate like Monogram 34 and 36 coupe kits) to an MPC 32 Chev cabriolet - I see a 32 Chev 5 window in my future. 

Cheers

Alan  

012.JPG

002.JPG

090.JPG

IMG_6511[1].JPG

IMG_6515[1].JPG

IMG_6502[1].JPG

IMG_6496[1].JPG

IMG_6485[1].JPG

IMG_6486[1].JPG

IMG_6489[1].JPG