Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cars I owned - 1962 Ford Fairlane

donb

Continuing with the cars I owned theme…..Well the 1962 Olds Super 88 lasted about 4 months before I damaged the passenger’s side of the car. The car was still drivable but it looked bad. My grandfather had a 1962 Fairlane he was willing to sell to me for $50.00. I ended up selling the Olds to a guy that I worked with at the gas station for $85.00. Gramps then decided to sell me the Fairlane for $35.00 because it needed brakes. (yeah around $15.00 for new front brakes back then – with labor!) The car was pretty much bare bones for the most part – Engine 221 CI. V8 with 145 HP, 3 on the tree, 13 inch wheels. A lot better gas mileage than that huge Olds.

On to the car… Not my best build but I am happy with it. The car is from MCW (surprised again someone made a resin of the car). 13 Inch wheels and hub caps from Modelhaus. Thunderbolt chassis narrowed. Black exterior with Red interior. Sorry for the bad pics. It was tough keeping the dust off it.

DSC_0007_zpsb474c1bd.jpgDSC_0002_zps73c8db3e.jpgDSC_0011_zps36c7cfd4.jpgDSC_0008_zps95debef1.jpgDSC_0006_zpsa28670e1.jpgDSC_0001_zps53face43.jpg

I love the car and the story. It would have made a great sleeper car with something big under the hood.

Yeah -- :ike a 427!

Not the best build? I beg to differ, it looks great! Its nice to see a plain Jane

Fairlane.

Thanks Jim. Appreciate that.

Looks good to me. I have an original 1962 AMT Fairlane 500 built up that is being restored. I am leaning towards Chestnut, with the White and Chestnuut trim.

Ron - I would love to see that, I have not seen another 62 in scale.