Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will GM's problems ever end?

All I can say about GM's problems is they don't affect me. :D

Me, I'm looking (lusting?) for a 2015 Mustang. B)

Until one of those recalled GM's left turns in front of you and stalls!!! :D

I have two cars that are good and paid for. We looked at a 2014 Mustang as it's just me and the wife at home....we loved it....just didn't want to spend the $450 a month!! Rather put that much in my 66 Mustang 2+2!

Edited by Dave Van

GM has been peddling junk for the last forty years.

Ford and Chrysler put out their fair share of junk over the last 40 years, too. There's plenty of blame to go around, and certainly plenty of poorly engineered vehicles out there from all the manufacturers, foreign and domestic.

Ford and Chrysler put out their fair share of junk over the last 40 years, too. There's plenty of blame to go around, and certainly plenty of poorly engineered vehicles out there from all the manufacturers, foreign and domestic.

YEP!!!! My wife had a brand new Ford Tempo in 1984........pure trash. Transmission issues, AC issues....etc......

BUT.....Dad's 2012 FLEX is flawless, carries 7 plus luggage, and drives like a giant exotic car. The twin turbo motor is UNREAL.

Dad traded his Chevy Tahoe in on the Ford. It was an OK vehicle......bad had many many little issues. More wiper shear pins than I care to count. It was a 2005 and needed a new washer fluid bottle EVERY spring. (it would just split in two!) Cruise control almost never worked....just a series of nagging issues that to me shows a corp mindset.

dimaxion. just google fords catching fire in driveways. read all about it. it was a big deal unless you were living under a rock those years. it had something to do with the cruise control. they caught on fire while the engine was off.

Edited by bad0210

dimaxion. just google fords catching fire in driveways. read all about it. it was a big deal unless you were living under a rock those years. it had something to do with the cruise control. they caught on fire while the engine was off.

yes, the Ford cruise control fire issue has been around 10 years or so, several tv programs and articles on it over the years...here's one--http://jalopnik.com/5381540/cruise-control-fire-recall-expanded-to-fords-largest-ever

Edited by Rob Hall

As far as the recent GM ignition switch issue, I'm amazed something like this would happen, considering they have used column switch ignitions for 45 years now..sounds like it's a case of cost cutting gone wrong and a subsequent cover up. I'm not a fan of column ignitions, other brands have done just fine w/ the ignition on the dash and a locking steering column.

As far as the recent GM ignition switch issue, I'm amazed something like this would happen, considering they have used column switch ignitions for 45 years now..sounds like it's a case of cost cutting gone wrong and a subsequent cover up. I'm not a fan of column ignitions, other brands have done just fine w/ the ignition on the dash and a locking steering column.

The reason for the failure was studied at great length by one of the news agency's. The issue was a locking pin in the tumbler. GM choose a short pin switch that was ONE CENT less than a long pin version.

All companies build junk from time to time. Even the Germans and the Japanese. General Motors builds a lot of cars. So when a recall comes it's bound to be big. And by the way, even though I am passionate about old cars. And mainly General Motors products. We tend to forget what pieces of junk those old cars could be even brand new. How many of you remember the engine mount problems on Chevys from 1958 through I believe the 1969 models. GM had a huge recall over that in the late 60's, early 70's.

How about my first new car? A 1977 Plymouth Volare. First thing I had to do with that car was get out a phillips screw driver and tighten every screw I could find in the interior of car. Every few weeks I had to take my car into the dealer because of grinding noises in the rear end. First recall I got was for a carburetor problem. Go too fast around corner the car would die. Then there was the big recall on rusting front fenders. That one almost put Chrysler out of business.

And Ford is not without sin. Steering column fires. Cars rolling backwards after being put in park. Backup lights that stayed on when other gears were selected. Toyota and Audi's sudden acceration problems. Hondas, seatbelts being recalled. Automobiles are built by humans. And humans make mistakes. I don't care who builds them.

As noted in earlier postings on this subject, I've own several Buicks over the years. Overall the best cars I've owned have been Buicks. Especially Buick LeSabres. Every one I've own, including my present 2000 LeSabre has been a great car. I've had very few problems. I grew up in a family that mainly drove Ford products. The six cylinder Comets my folks had were very good cars. But personally, Fords hate me. I've had nothing but troubles with everyone I've own. I've had a lot of problems with the few Chrysler products I've owned (see Volare for one above) over the years too. But, somehow I keep getting suckered in to buying them from time to time.

Are GM products great vehicles or junk? It depends on who you talk to. I love the GM cars and trucks I've own in the past. I've work for GM and Chrysler dealerships. I have my opinions there. I've dealt with old cars and new. The only thing I can say for sure. Is the cars we drive today, are the best cars as far reliability and dependability ever. They're great. But, I still love my old cars. I love the junk.... Yes I say junk. they put out in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's. GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC, Studebaker, Packard, Nash, Hudson, Kaiser-Frazer, what ever. Do I want to go back and use them as daily drivers? Heck no! Even with all the recalls, today's car really are better. And for that we can mainly thank the Japanese.

OK. Time to get off my soap box.

Scott Aho

Edited by unclescott58

I have no problems with my saturn forsay just typical stuff that needed replacement, I love how I watched A Certified Dealership scratch their heads and 3 (what were supposed to be mechanics) scratched their heads and stared under my hood lookin like monkeys humpin hyena's

30 minutes later only to come back and tell me they could not change the oil on my supercharged car because they would have to remove things and the supercharger, I Told him and his service guys they were a bunch of idiots then!

Needless to say I had to change my own oil !! I will from now on too!! all that had to be done was remove (2) 10 mm screws that held a waterneck, to move it out of the way to gain access to get under the eaton supercharger to change the cartridge oil filter.

Did i also mention the people at the service counter kept stalling my standard shift saturn the guy had to have me pull the car around

know exactly what your talking about with big hands in tight spaces B)

wow really?? Ive changed oil on a few of those and was able to do it even without removing the waterneck. But to have a dealership say that it just a joke. Have they not heard of alldata or Mitchell to look up the procedure on lol.

wow really?? Ive changed oil on a few of those and was able to do it even without removing the waterneck. But to have a dealership say that it just a joke. Have they not heard of alldata or Mitchell to look up the procedure on lol.

Depends on who's doing the oil change, the dealer we've bought out last 3 Mopars at has a separate station to change the oil on 3 cars at a time, but is staffed with employees that are more.........."youthful" ......than I. I only pay $11 before tax for an oil change, but I'm sure these guys are making minimum wage or close to it. When I had my 200 in for it's last change, they accidentally put the wrong oil in it and I ended up with a free engine flush too...........too bad it was my now 26k mile 200 and not my 160k+ '98 Cherokee............

I'm going to have to call you on this one.

I did have a '46 Ford Pickup I removed a Piston , plugged the hole . It left the Repair with a V/5 . Not the first time for this modification .

If you one "plugged one hole", it either would have left with a V7 or an I5, Ford didn't have a V6 engine in '46.

Where???

Not uncommon at dealerships, Harry. I have a local Toyota Dealership that does $10 oil changes if you buy a car from them with the "care package" , and the local Honda/Hyundai dealer runs $8 oil changes from time to time. Oil changes are the throwaway job at best. The idea is to get them in the shop, then upsell on other services.

Every auto maker has had issues......these are machines,,,,,,

The size, scope, magnitude and attitude at GM is what makes this one so different.......

14 Million cars recalled in 160 days.......gotta be a record. The number is hard to even imagine.....

Not uncommon at dealerships, Harry. I have a local Toyota Dealership that does $10 oil changes if you buy a car from them with the "care package" , and the local Honda/Hyundai dealer runs $8 oil changes from time to time. Oil changes are the throwaway job at best. The idea is to get them in the shop, then upsell on other services.

This is how Harry, although it comes with the new car purchase, my Jeep would cost 3x that much there.

For those of you Bashing GM The latest top 10 unreliable used cars List is online now and there isn't a GM product listed!

Kia,VW, Mini Copper are on the list. as are Mazda, Subaru , jag, Smart car, and Land rover. This just proves that GM is not alone in all of this. Don't anyone rember the PINTO? Or Ford frame rot problems of the 70's? My cousin had a 73 ford pickup that he had to junk due to the frame being so rotted and that was in 1979! when I was in auto tech in High school we had a nice looking 64 ford donated to our school The reason was frame had rotted out but the body didn't. That car was cut up for scrap! If you look it up online Ford has had just as many recall's in recent years, and on you tube there's a video of a 2012 ford Flex with a engine rattle noise. You can really here it rattle badly.

For those of you Bashing GM The latest top 10 unreliable used cars List is online now and there isn't a GM product listed!

It all depends on whose top ten list you want to believe. There are dozens of them. Some are a lot more legit than others. Some are downright useless.

'LISTS' of good and bad are always suspect....I rely on purely independent reports....and NONE of them are produced by the US government!!!!

Also....to keep your arguments, pro and con, relevant and viable.....lets refer to product produced in THIS century and not LAST century. :lol:

No matter how you spin the facts, 24 different recalls involving 35 different models and 14 million cars within a six month period is NOT GOOD. In fact, it's unprecedented.

Issues that widespread point to systemic, multilevel incompetence and poor quality control. Though I do wish the best for GM, I've been happy w/ my Cadillac experiences so far and would buy another.

Ford's cruise control recall ended up affecting more than 14 million cars. Go to any manufacturer's website and you'll find dozens of active recalls. Right now GM's going through it. A few years ago it was Ford, Toyota, or whoever, they all go through it at some time. Next year it'll be somebody different. Make enough cars, you're bound to have a few lousy ones in there. Learn from it, and make them better in the future. GM certainly doesn't have the market cornered on $&@/+#! cars...

Edited by Brett Barrow

It's not so much that the cars are... problematic; it's how and why they get to be that way. Then, there is the additional problem of inept management that seems prevalent in our corporate society these days, on all levels. It'$ all about the $$$- the more $$$ $saved, the more in their pocket$ and more $$$ for the $shareholder$, too.